SBS - The best value in QMS software

Is "Made in (Country)" a labelling requirement?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Just wondering if anyone can point to any medical device regulation that requires a label to state "Made in [Country]"?

Presently, our labelling includes this text, but I'd like to remove it if possible to avoid having to translate the English text.

My justification is that we already use the Manufacturer ISO 7000 symbol with our address (that includes the country), so a "Made in [Country]" text seems redundant.

Seems logical to me....but I want to double check that I'm not missing some regulation that explicitly calls for the "Made in [Country]" text on labelling.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Just wondering if anyone can point to any medical device regulation that requires a label to state "Made in [Country]"?

Presently, our labelling includes this text, but I'd like to remove it if possible to avoid having to translate the English text.

My justification is that we already use the Manufacturer ISO 7000 symbol with our address (that includes the country), so a "Made in [Country]" text seems redundant.

Seems logical to me....but I want to double check that I'm not missing some regulation that explicitly calls for the "Made in [Country]" text on labelling.

The made in "Country of Origin" laws are usually governed by the laws of the importing country, not the medical device regulations.

Mark Meer

Thanks Al. For the most part these appear to be largely focused on food and animal products. Are you aware of any such laws that may apply to medical devices being imported?

Mark Meer

Now that I've been tuned into the "Country of Origin" (COO) term, I did an Elsmar search an found that this topic has been discussed previously. Here are some of the previous discussion threads:

From what I'm gathering from these (they are all more than 5 years old):
1. An example of laws requiring country of origin is 19 CFR 134
2. It is possible to have a different country of origin and manufacturer address (so my justification appears invalid).

If this is the case, could some other medical device manufacturers that ship internationally kindly advise how they overcome the translation issue? Do you maintain separate labels for each region simply to translate the "Made in XXXX" statement??

Mark Meer

Thanks Al, appreciate the link. ...but is appears to be broken (but does bring you to the export.gov website). I did a search there for both "COO" and "Country of Origin", and couldn't find anything dealing with a "Made in XXXX" requirement on labels. The relevant hits had to do with certificates of origin, and commercial invoices.

Was there a specific page on the website you were meaning to link to?

Again: I'm curious how other organizations deal with this, and the translation difficulties this would entail. Any feedback/advice much appreciated...

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
See Requirements for country of origin marking on goods imported into the U.S..

Surgical instruments, for example, have specific marking requirements:

19 CFR 134.43 Methods of marking specific articles.
(a)Marking previously required by certain provisions of the Tariff Act of 1930. Except for goods of a NAFTA country, articles of a class or kind listed below shall be marked legibly and conspicuously by die stamping, cast-in-the-mold lettering, etching (acid or electrolytic), engraving, or by means of metal plates which bear the prescribed marking and which are securely attached to the article in a conspicuousplace by welding, screws, or rivets: knives, forks, steels, cleavers, clippers, shears, scissors, safety razors, blades for safety razors, surgical instruments, dental instruments, scientific and laboratory instruments, pliers, pincers, nippers and hinged hand tools for holding and splicing wire, vacuum containers, and parts of the above articles. Goods of aNAFTA country shall be marked by any reasonable method which is legible, conspicuous and permanent as otherwise provided in this part.

Also consider the Trade Agreements Act if selling to GSA. This will explain it:
The Trade Agreements Act and Sales of Medical Devices to the U.S. Government – The Beat @ Cooley Health

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
See Requirements for country of origin marking on goods imported into the U.S..

Surgical instruments, for example, have specific marking requirements:

(a)Marking previously required by certain provisions of the Tariff Act of 1930. Except for goods of a NAFTA country, articles of a class or kind listed below shall be marked legibly and conspicuously by die stamping, cast-in-the-mold lettering, etching (acid or electrolytic), engraving, or by means of metal plates which bear the prescribed marking and which are securely attached to the article in a conspicuousplace by welding, screws, or rivets: knives, forks, steels, cleavers, clippers, shears, scissors, safety razors, blades for safety razors, surgical instruments, dental instruments, scientific and laboratory instruments, pliers, pincers, nippers and hinged hand tools for holding and splicing wire, vacuum containers, and parts of the above articles. Goods of aNAFTA country shall be marked by any reasonable method which is legible, conspicuous and permanent as otherwise provided in this part.

Also consider the Trade Agreements Act if selling to GSA. This will explain it:
The Trade Agreements Act and Sales of Medical Devices to the U.S. Government – The Beat @ Cooley Health

Mark Meer

(a)Marking previously required by certain provisions of the Tariff Act of 1930. Except for goods of a NAFTA country, articles of a class or kind listed below shall be marked legibly and conspicuously by die stamping, cast-in-the-mold lettering, etching (acid or electrolytic), engraving, or by means of metal plates which bear the prescribed marking and which are securely attached to the article in a conspicuousplace by welding, screws, or rivets: knives, forks, steels, cleavers, clippers, shears, scissors, safety razors, blades for safety razors, surgical instruments, dental instruments, scientific and laboratory instruments, pliers, pincers, nippers and hinged hand tools for holding and splicing wire, vacuum containers, and parts of the above articles. Goods of aNAFTA country shall be marked by any reasonable method which is legible, conspicuous and permanent as otherwise provided in this part...
Geez! :whip:

I'll have to check my forks, razors, and scissors, but I'm pretty certain that they are NOT marked this way despite, in all likelihood, being manufactured in Asia or Europe somewhere.

I'd be curious how strongly this is enforced....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MDD_QNA Country of origin - Made in EU or Made in Finland? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Country of Origin or Made In Tags - Where a country is a principality EU Medical Device Regulations 11
S Use of Made in XXX Country on Medical Device Labels Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T FTC "Made In U.S.A" Labeling Rules vs. Saudi Arabia's "Country of Origin" Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
E Configurable/Custom made or accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Usability for custom made medical devices IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
qualprod Assign a name to a home-made ERP system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
classical_quality Reflecting: Improvements Made 2019 & 2020? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Validity / outcomes measure for custom made medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Are Eye drops made in China classified as medical device in China? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
DuncanGibbons How are part cut out specimens made and tested? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Custom made medical devices - Wheelchairs EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Search for predicates to see what claims are being made for those predicates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
atitheya Notified bodies operating in India for medical devices made in India CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C If it's not a custom-made medical device... What is it? Clinician requests EU Medical Device Regulations 11
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
D US Made class I CE Mark product for export only to EU Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
T IMDS - Creating an MDS out of material and a made item? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
L CQE Quiz - Something I made up to make aspiring CQE's head hurt Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J How to document Corrections made to a Medical Device History File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
JoCam Labeling Requirements for Medical Devices Made in China EU Medical Device Regulations 6
V Ultrasonic NDT on CNC Product made of Stainless Steel General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
I Catch up 510(k) - Non-significant changes were made Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K DoC (Declaration of Conformity) for Custom Made Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Supplier Audit Request - Made be laugh ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Biocompatibility testing for nasal prongs made of medical grade silicone 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J Supplier made a Change without Notifying Us APQP and PPAP 11
B Odd First Article Question - Part made by a sister company APQP and PPAP 7
F Registration Process Guidance for Custom-Made Medical Devices in South/Latin America Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
A Has anyone made an ISO9001:2015 vs. ISO9001:2008 Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
M Portugal Class I Medical Device Registration of device made in Italy EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Process Validation Training - Custom made Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
Ajit Basrur The man who made a forest ! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Generating Purchase Orders - Orders made over the Internet or a Phone ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
AnaMariaVR2 Warning ? Don?t Confuse ?Made In USA? And ?Inspected By FDA? With Patriotism US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Are implant rods (made of Titanium) passivated? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
T Made up terms and words! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
AnaMariaVR2 Ancient statue discovered by Nazis is made from meteorite Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Does anyone have a summary of changes made to ISO 11137-2? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Gage R&R on a Length Gage Made In-House Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Custom-Made Medical Device Regulations and Registration in Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
W Made in China - Requirement for it to be Printed on the Label? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
I About the 510(k) Submission US Company but Products are made in China US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Changes made in Rev 4 of FMEA Reference Manual FMEA and Control Plans 1