Is Management Representative a loose cannon or am I unnecessarily concerned?

M

mischele68

Hello everybody :bigwave:. I've been viewing posts here on the Cove for a while now, but have not yet seen any posts related to the situation I currently find myself in. I have been employed at an AS9100-approved manufacturing facility for quite a few years; my responsibilities have included Document Control and Internal Auditing functions for the majority of that time. Over the years, I have seen several Quality Managers / Management Representatives come and go. Each one had a different mindset about this, that or the other regarding the QMS and made changes based on that mindset. (Resulting in total :confused: for me!) Our most recent representative appears to have placed the responsibility for supporting external audits squarely on himself, i.e. SME's are not interviewed by the customers, he is providing all answers to questions, etc. Today I discovered that during the course of our last customer audit, a spreadsheet with links to objective evidence that it was felt the auditor may be looking for was created. Not a problem, I thought it was a novel idea. What I have taken issue to, perhaps incorrectly, is the fact that during the creation of this spreadsheet, controlled documents were copied from the master file location to a secondary location instead of linking them directly from the master. Nothing is marked as reference material as far as I can tell...my question to you who are CB auditors is: can the duplicate copies of QMS documents (which may or may not be updated in case of revision) be considered an noncompliance (Control of Documents) should they be discovered in a future registrar audit? Sadly, as far as I can determine, we are one of those companies whose management views the QMS as a necessary evil instead of good business practice (No management review in almost 3 yrs). :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Chance

can the duplicate copies of QMS documents (which may or may not be updated in case of revision) be considered an noncompliance (Control of Documents) should they be discovered in a future registrar audit? Sadly, as far as I can determine, we are one of those companies whose management views the QMS as a necessary evil instead of good business practice (No management review in almost 3 yrs). :frust:
I am not a CB auditor. If the duplicate copies violate your control of documents procedure, for sure that is a finding.:2cents:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Normally I am a purist, and if it was me I would be hyperlinking to the controlled document.

But wait! The audit is a snapshot in time, and that includes a snapshot of documentation that was in place at the time of the audit. If hyperlinks are used, would they lead to the current revision whenever they are clicked on? Although these will be presumed to be "official" versions while viewed, after the audit they are a kind of record of what was covered at the time... so long as they are valid when presented, that is.

Then there is the documents' purpose. Yes, uncontrolled copies are a general no-no, but these are not going to be used for doing production work, true? The spirit, if not clearly the letter of the control requirement is based on using the correct work instruction.

I would have maked them "for reference only" or some such, just to be safe. But my organization's documents say in every footer: "Not Controlled unless viewed on-line" and that's what we tell everyone: operators, managers, auditors, etc.

I welcome other people's input - I am also not a CB.

M

mischele68

Jennifer / Chance - thanks for your responses.

Jennifer- like you, I too tend to be a purist and want everyone to follow procedures/requirements to the letter. :whip:

Our internal QMS documents all say "Reference Only When Printed". I agree with your comment regarding the snapshot in time and in theory, no, the copied files should not be used for production; however, the properties of the folder in which the copies reside is open to viewing by anyone in the facility...but then again, the PROPER location to view CURRENT QMS docs is included in our procedure, has been communicated company-wide time and again, and the procedure says nothing about having multiple copies in different locations...

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Jennifer- like you, I too tend to be a purist and want everyone to follow procedures/requirements to the letter. :whip:

Our internal QMS documents all say "Reference Only When Printed". I agree with your comment regarding the snapshot in time and in theory, no, the copied files should not be used for production; however, the properties of the folder in which the copies reside is open to viewing by anyone in the facility...but then again, the PROPER location to view CURRENT QMS docs is included in our procedure, has been communicated company-wide time and again, and the procedure says nothing about having multiple copies in different locations...
There is always the chance that personnel will copy a process document somewhere, or print it out. Hey, I also have printed copies of some of these documents. I am held responsible to make sure they are always current to the job at hand. We all are. And our document control procedure is silent about all of this EXCEPT the obligatory "The only controlled copy is the one viewed online via the XYZ system."

So based on what I have seen I do not think your QM is a loose cannon in this matter.
:2cents:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I'm not a CB auditor either, but I think you might be looking at this from a strict compliance perspective and might need to view it in a more pragmatic way. Jennifer makes an excellent point regarding why linking to the current controlled copy would be a bad idea. If your document control system doesn't allow for what the MR did, the requirements should probably be changed so as to not handcuff people who are trying be sensible.

It's common practice in paper-based systems to attach copies of controlled documents to audit reports; no one, including CB auditors, should expect those documents to be replaced with current versions when they've been superseded. It shouldn't be any different for electronic systems.

M

mischele68

I'm not a CB auditor either, but I think you might be looking at this from a strict compliance perspective
Absolutely - that was the mindset / example set by the previous QM/MR; this new MR seems to have a completely different view of things, something I have not quite adjusted to.

It's common practice in paper-based systems to attach copies of controlled documents to audit reports; no one, including CB auditors, should expect those documents to be replaced with current versions when they've been superseded. It shouldn't be any different for electronic systems.
I see your point as I have done this very same thing in my audits in years past.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Who is the Management Representative in my company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
S Management representative transition checklist IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
J AS9100D Management Representative AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
P How to identify the Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Audit of Management Representative Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
S Quality Management Representative confusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Who should be appointed as the Management Representative? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Changes in ISO9001:2015 to the requirements for a management representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C AS9100 Management Representative - Can it be an outsider? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Is a Management Representative still needed for ISO 13485:2015? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Management Representative is an Accountant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T ISO 9001:2008 Management Representative and other Management Staff ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
x-files Matrix for: Established, implemented, maintained (5.5.2 Management Representative) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Do I need to notify the FDA of Management Representative changes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K Management Representative Responsibilities for Multiple Standards Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
eternal_atlas Audit of Management Representative Functions (ISO 9001 & OHSAS 18001) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
A Management Representative and Information Security Officer for ISO27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
G Management Representative as Lead Auditor within a Company Internal Auditing 6
T Management Representative - Member of Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S Management Representative Requirements and Responsibilities Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Can one Management Representative operate between two sister firms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
P Level of Management Representative in Organization Chart Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P Level of Management Representative in an Organization Chart Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Is a Quality Representative (Management Representative) Designee Required? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 22
K Management Representative is NOT a member of Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 246
K More than One Management Representative? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Who does the Management Representative Report To? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
S Work as a QMR (Quality Management Representative) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
B Small Companies and the ISO 9001 Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
B Management Representative Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
E AS9100 - Is the Management Representative a Top Manager? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
N Management Representative - Specific Training Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 46
A MR (Management Representative) also doing Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 27
C Can an MR (Management Representative) be a Document Controller as well? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9001 - 5.5.2 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z Involvement of Management representative (ISO 3834) in Quality Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
L Management Representative - 2 Person Device Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
A What is criteria to be Management Representative (MR)? Is there any standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W MR (Management Representative) Requirements and Responsibilites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Management Representative - Example procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
M Management Representative Appointment Letter Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19