Is "Master Documents and Records list" required per ISO 9001 ?

Haddad9921

Starting to get Involved
Hi
I have question about controlling The Master Documents and Records list. If we to change the rev on a form we will update the history of revisions approval sheet. After that i will update the master document and records list to reflect the new Rev for the form we updated. My question, do i have to have a History of revision and approval sheet for the master document and records list as well?
Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO 9001-2008 Master document and records list

Hi
I have question about controlling The Master Documents and Records list. If we to change the rev on a form we will update the history of revisions approval sheet. After that i will update the master document and records list to reflect the new Rev for the form we updated. My question, do i have to have a History of revision and approval sheet for the master document and records list as well?
Thank you
This is a lot of work for something that simply isn't required. From my point of view, you are leaving yourself open to multiple opportunities for misidentification of documentation simply based on the fact that so much redundant and unnecessary work is required.

If I was to audit your Control of Documents and Records processes, my recommendation would be simple; consider getting rid of all these master document lists. You can identify the revision history of your work instructions and procedures using a basic revision block. Revision levels of forms can be identified with a letter in the footer. Use a "Documents Incorporated By Reference" list if you want (depending on what method you chose to satisfy Clause 4.1a).

When you say "The Master Documents and Records List", it sounds as if you feel this is required. The Standard is clear - identify your changes and revisions, make sure they're available to staff, make obsolete documents unavailable. I'm curious as to what method you use to distribute procedures, work instructions and forms to staff; do you use online docs? Is everything hardcopy? Many companies that I have audited use a Portal, or Intranet-based system, and in this way, control is easy - if it's on the Portal, it's current.

Last edited:
P

PaulJSmith

Re: ISO 9001-2008 Master document and records list

Nowhere in this standard does it require you to have a "Master Document and Records List," much less control its revisions. So, unless you have a documented procedure which calls for that, you need not worry about it.

J

JaneB

No, you don't. You may perhaps think it's needed because someone told you it was (not true) or you have seen it done this way (true, but onerous and can be done better these days).
Good advice already given by others.
Focus on what the Standard actually says, and work out how you can do this in the simplest most practical and least time-consuming way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Are there Controlled Documents in a DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
T Master Document List - Obsolete Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
T Document Control Master List for Obsolete Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S MDR (Master Document Register) for Planning of Documents in Process Engineering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Form Number for Master List of Controlled Documents - ISO 9001:2000 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Q Master List of Documents-Is there another way? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 29
M Possible topic for Master thesis topic - MDR and QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Looking for Korean FDA Drug Master File requirements for packaging systems. Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Device Master Record Vigilance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
PQ Systems Getting the Most out of Master Gages Using GAGEpack Software 5
T SQL Server 2019 - Master Data Services - Validation needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Calibrating Solid Thread Rings with HILO master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Master Document Register Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D Device Master Record (DMR) checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
lanley liao How to understand and master the requirements of each section in API monogram product. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M Old Master Schedules - How Long to Keep? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Master Samples - What should we be keeping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P MSA - what exactly mean "system" and master sample Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Calibration of "Master Parts" Used as Gauges Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R No design history file or device master record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Medical Device Master File - We are a contract manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) for Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Design Outputs vs DMR (Design Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Carbon Black (Master Batch) - Basic Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Korea DMF (Drug Master File) Fees Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
K Computerized system Master Validation Plan, IQ-OQ-PQ Draft or Template Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R Master Gage Block Calibration (We have 2 sets) question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P DMF (Drug Master File) type V for Sterilization Processes for USFDA Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Master FMEA for "like processes" - Does an FMEA have to match the CP and PM directly? FMEA and Control Plans 7
S Looking for templates of Master Production Record and Master Batch record Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
V Site Master File for multiple business units within same premises/facility Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
rob73 Digital DMF (Device Master File) Records EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I DMR (Device Master Records) and similar for standalone software device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Switching Master Product in EO (Ethylene Oxide) Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Device Master Records for a Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S DMR (Device Master Record) Management and Index questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 18