Is Metals Analysis of Water Samples considered "sampling"?

J

JodiB

Trying to determine if we need a "sampling plan". I don't think so, but want to make sure...

One of our tests is metals analysis of water samples. The samples that we receive from our (internal) customers are of various quantities and TDS. We dilute most of the samples to overcome the TDS, and draw out the number of mls that we need for the analysis. Is this "sampling" ? Have we just created a sub-sample? Do we need some sort of sampling plan or specific "sampling" procedure for this? We describe the sample preparation (including dilution) in our method.

We also do solids analysis using XRF and XRD. We grind up the solid, etc. in our sample preparation. Obviously we don't use the entire amount of what they send us in the analysis, we take what should be a homogenous portion of what we've prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is this considered "sampling"?

...we take what should be a homogenous portion of what we've prepared.
Why "should" it be a homogenous portion?
Not because you want it to be, but because you sample it in a way to ensure that it is...right?

Assuming so, that way that you take that "should be homogeneous" sample is your sampling plan.
Sounds like you already have a sampling plan...so the question is whether everyone does it the same way, and if that way is documented anywhere...

Mikishots

Trying to determine if we need a "sampling plan". I don't think so, but want to make sure...

One of our tests is metals analysis of water samples. The samples that we receive from our (internal) customers are of various quantities and TDS. We dilute most of the samples to overcome the TDS, and draw out the number of mls that we need for the analysis. Is this "sampling" ? Have we just created a sub-sample? Do we need some sort of sampling plan or specific "sampling" procedure for this? We describe the sample preparation (including dilution) in our method.

We also do solids analysis using XRF and XRD. We grind up the solid, etc. in our sample preparation. Obviously we don't use the entire amount of what they send us in the analysis, we take what should be a homogenous portion of what we've prepared.

What they send you for analysis is your LOT, irrespective of the fact that they call it a SAMPLE. If you are not testing the entire lot you have received, then you are using samples of that lot.

A sampling plan would define how many units you will look at out of the lot you have received. It should be based on some statistical method, rather than just some arbitrary amount; to be statistically valid, it needs to be consistent and representative.

Hope that helps.

J

JodiB

We document what we do for sample preparation within our methods, does that meet ISO/IEC 17025's requirment for "sampling plans" ?

We obviously can't use the entire sample since they'll send us 8-16 oz of water and we only need a few ml max. Shake, filter, dilute, shake again, draw off what we need for the test. That's the plan :) !

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
your sample size is effectively 1. this is statistically valid IF:
The 'sample' sent to you is from a homogenous blend of the entire lot and the sample itself is homogenous at the time you take your sub-sample (things aggregate and precipitate) AND you have determined that the measurement error of your method is small compared to the specification.

J

JodiB

Thanks Bev. What does that mean that my sample size is 1? Sorry, but this isn't something that I've looked into before. Somebody once told me that we don't do sampling, since we aren't picking and choosing what we test ; we test everything that is sent to us. Now I'm a bit confused because we do take just a portion of what they send to us since what they send is excessive of what we need. And that seems to be "sampling" to other people...

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Thanks Bev. What does that mean that my sample size is 1? Sorry, but this isn't something that I've looked into before. Somebody once told me that we don't do sampling, since we aren't picking and choosing what we test ; we test everything that is sent to us. Now I'm a bit confused because we do take just a portion of what they send to us since what they send is excessive of what we need. And that seems to be "sampling" to other people...
I think we're into the definitions of words here...I turned some of this definition bold and underlined as it applies to the current thread:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
sam?ple

/ˈs?m
pəl, ˈsɑm-/ Show Spelled [sam-puh
l, sahm-] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, sam?pled, sam?pling.
noun 1. a small part of anything or one of a number, intended to show the quality, style, or nature of the whole; specimen.
2. Statistics. a subset of a population: to study a sample of the total population.
3. a sound of short duration, as a musical tone or a drumbeat, digitally stored in a synthesizer for playback.

adjective 4. serving as a specimen: a sample piece of cloth.
verb (used with object) 5. to take a sample or samples of; test or judge by a sample.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They send you more than you need, so you take a small part of it...thus you take a sample. Said sample is intended to show the quality, style or nature of the whole specimen.

If you aren't using it all, you're taking a sample.

harry

............ Somebody once told me that we don't do sampling, since we aren't picking and choosing what we test ; we test everything that is sent to us. Now I'm a bit confused because we do take just a portion of what they send to us since what they send is excessive of what we need. And that seems to be "sampling" to other people...
I think your job is to make sure that whatever portion that you use for your analysis is representative of the sample given to you - which could be as simple as shaking the container of the sample to make sure that is is well mixed and therefore homogeneous.

I frequently send samples of water to the lab for testing and the report I get always start with a caveat - One sample of water in a plastic container marked 'X' was received from the customer .............. I think this is important because the lab was not in a position to know how, when, where the sample was collected and thus cannot be responsible for the sampling part. The test result is only good for that particular sample received.

somashekar

Staff member
Admin

The water sample is your test input. The other things that you do is your assey procedure. You are simply not into any statistical sampling.
You may get 1000 ml of water which represent perhaps a tank of 1000 ltr of water, and you do things to take say 10 ml of this water for your assey. There is no statistical sampling of any sort here. We do the same for out STP water tests from a third party.

Last edited:
J

JodiB

Thanks for all the input. It seems like there's still two different opinions here on whether or not we are doing "sampling". So I'm still not clear on whether we have to address "sampling" in an ISO/IEC 17025 quality management system. Do we do "sampling"? If so, would a simple statement in the quality manual to the effect that our methods ensure that we test a representative portion of the samples that are sent to us?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J MU for a method using ICP-OES for Metals Analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
P Cleaning Agents to be Used on Metals & Plastics Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
N Control of Metal Plating Baths - Contamination from base metals Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C Certificate EN 10204 for Elastomer (materials other than metals)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M Machinability of Specialty Metals - Inco - 300 - 400 Series Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
bobdoering As hybrid cars gobble rare metals, shortage looms World News 35
B Heavy Metals in Vehicles - New Technologies RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
Q Welding Procedure Standard and Prequalified Standard for Welding Dissimilar Metals Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
ScottK Surface Finish on machined brass (or other metals)- Attribute or Variable inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Color coding Standard? Color Coding Raw Metals in a Small Machine Shop Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
D NADCAP Accreditation for Metals Chemical Testing - Internal Round Robin Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
B SPC for any of the testing performed in a Metals Testing Laboratory... General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Dock to Stock Template for Distributor/Warehouse of Industrial Metals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
G PPAP 4? + IMDS - Heavy Metals Laws - Help RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
Tim Folkerts Chemical Bonding vs. Human Bonding (men = metals, so women = non-metals) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
T UK Inspection Manager UK - Metals and composites inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Definition Automotive Customer - Definition of - We supply metals to stampers as a Tier 2 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
P AS9100 Verification of purchases - Metals stockist buying directly from mills AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
B ISO 9001:2015 vs ISO 13485:2016 Gap analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
PQ Systems Control Charts & Capability Analysis 101 Using SQCpack Software 0
B Establishing a Data Analysis Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
O Quality Management System Implementation framework and Gap analysis checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Consolidated Analysis Report for Moulding Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B NADCAP Rejection Response to Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
T ANOVA analysis to find F test. Using Minitab Software 3
N Failure Analysis-Potting Gel and Sealants Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
B How to exclude empty rows in full factorial design analysis? Using Minitab Software 0
B GR&R Destructive Data Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
H Risk Analysis and Probability of Occurrence ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Benefit risk analysis on pFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S How to perform verification of the Statistical Analysis Software? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
J Starting a Weibull Analysis: Source on how to perform Weibull Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
V ISO 10360-5: 2020 Gap analysis and Action plan Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Struggling with using the 5.6 version Ford Capacity Analysis Report APQP and PPAP 5
JoCam MDR Gap Analysis - Consultant fees EU Medical Device Regulations 10
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Awais Forklift Reliability Analysis Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
T Tactics for Root Cause Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
lanley liao How to correctly understand the bullet list d) of 6.3 Analysis of Data for API Spec Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2