Is minimum repair or replace guarantee period for medical devices in EU the same as consumer guarantee law of 2 years?

Hi all, I'm updating our distribution contract and our new sales director who comes from a big international company is telling me they used to sell devices in the EU for a 6 month guarantee period. I know that EU consumer laws entitle buyers to a 2 year guarantee for repair or replacement. i think this applies for medical devices being sold to a distributor/reseller too. He might have been referring to an extra warranty period. Does anyone have any experience on this please?
Thanks!
Krystle
(RA in a small start-up medical device company in Malta)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
I think you're talking about the Consumer sales and guarantees directive:
Consumer sales and guarantees directive

As it's a directive, you need to check individual county implementation.
It also applies only to good supplied to 'consumers':
"any natural person who, in the contracts covered by this Directive, is acting for purposes which are not related to his trade, business or profession "​

If you are not selling directly to consumers, why would the two-year period apply to you unless it was forced upon you by your distributors? I would go with your sales director's position. And why don't you have a lawyer reviewing the distribution agreements?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...I know that EU consumer laws entitle buyers to a 2 year guarantee for repair or replacement...
Wow. Please tell me there is some reasonable context for this. Otherwise, it'd be a pretty gross over-reach for the EU to start mandating sweeping product guarantees and post-market services.

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. Yes I am referring to Consumer laws, 2 years in EU. I wanted to know what experience you all have regarding this. I gather from your feedback that a distributor is not to be considered a consumer. I asked here because the situation in Malta is that there is no medical device regulation system and no Maltese owned medical devices companies (apart from the 2 my husband and i set up). Therefore lawyers here have proven time and again that they know absolutely nothing about the industry and i wanted to ask your opinions before going to them.
Anyway, thank you for your replies!

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. Yes I am referring to Consumer laws, 2 years in EU. I wanted to know what experience you all have regarding this. I gather from your feedback that a distributor is not to be considered a consumer. I asked here because the situation in Malta is that there is no medical device regulation system and no Maltese owned medical devices companies (apart from the 2 my husband and i set up). Therefore lawyers here have proven time and again that they know absolutely nothing about the industry and i wanted to ask your opinions before going to them.
Anyway, thank you for your replies!
Hi Krystle, for this kind of agreement, your customer/distributor will probably want it governed under the law of the destination or the U.K. or something more "neutral" than Maltese law - which they are unlikely to be familiar with. In that case your options for engaging a medical device knowledgeable lawyer open up more widely.

Good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Significant Production Run - How 300 was determined to be the minimum quantity APQP and PPAP 2
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techinques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/maximim diameter. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
shimonv Minimum 60601 requirements for a clinical trial IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
J What is the minimum standard for automotive component traceability? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Applicability of IEC 60950-1 Table K2 - Minimum clearances between circuits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
JoshuaFroud Change Control - Minimum Requirements and Unhappy Staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J IATF Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-Tier Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Regulatory Compliant Quality Management System - Bare Minimum EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is the minimum pressure differential required for ISO Class 8 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
somashekar ISO 13485 plus ISO 9001:2015 will now attract a minimum 2 day upgrade audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D What is the minimum Sample Size for Weibull Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 12
S Is there a minimum industry standard for PpK ? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
K What are the minimum requirements for Process Validation (Software)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Battery Powered Beauty Products minimum Legal Certifications Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
B What is the minimum sample required for Performance Evaluation for IVD ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Minimum requirements/experience/qualifications to be head of quality Career and Occupation Discussions 6
R Minimum Essential Receiving Inspection (M.E.R.I.) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S What is the minimum samples required for Customer Survey? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
J Minimum number of parts to do an attribute gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
I Minimum and Maximum Validation Batch Size Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A Minimum Number of Parts for Attribute (Go / NoGo) Data Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Minimum documents required by AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N Minimum Design factor for CE Marking for machinery CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Minitab Sample Size Calculation: 1 Sample t vs Minimum Sample Size for Means Using Minitab Software 3
G Why for a Shewhart chart the minimum feasible value for APL is 2401 units? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V Critical Characteristics - Capability for a Minimum Specification APQP and PPAP 6
BradM What is the minimum size chamber for mapping? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Minimum Organization Structure to support TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Minimum content required in a Quality Manual as per ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
A ISO 13485 Supplier Monitoring Minimum Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T New Packaging Line Performance Qualification (PQ) - Minimum Test Times ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F How to calculate the minimum Value of Mass needed for Scales Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
W ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) Minimum Requirements or Shalls Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
JoCam Equipment Guarding - Safe Distance - Is there a specified minimum distance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
F How to Calculate Cpk with only a Minimum Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
H SOP containing Minimum Requirements for Master Production Record US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S What is the 10d in the owner's manual for a balance's minimum weight? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Questions pertaining to our last audit - Fix or Minimum Document Retention time? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Minimum US FDA Labeling Requirements for a Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Minimum Requirements for Effective Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G What are the Minimum Requirements of a Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 12
J Internal Quality Auditor Minimum Requirements Internal Auditing 48
C Minimum Requirements for Suppliers without ISO 9001 or TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8