Is my software an accessory? Telecommunication between HCP and patients

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
‘accessory for a medical device’ means an article which, whilst not being itself a medical device, is intended by its manufacturer to be used together with one or several particular medical device(s) to specifically enable the medical device(s) to be used in accordance with its/their intended purpose(s) or to specifically and directly assist the medical functionality of the medical device(s) in terms of its/their intended purpose(s);

Hey all, looking for some opinions on a point of contention.

Our software's intended use is for telecommunication between HCP and patients. However it also allows images from our camera device to be viewed and captured. Our hardware can be used with any old tablet, laptop or computer, however it is supplied with an accessory - a docking case integrated with a tablet, which is loaded with our software.

As the software does not "specifically" enable the device to be used, are we safe to say it is not an accessory?

Please fire away with your opinions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
Hi @shimonv, thanks for your reply!

The device is a handheld endoscope. The device can function without the software, but they are packaged together. The software does not modify the information captured by the camera in anyway.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Okay, I don't know enough about it, but it seems you could argue that you software is like a carrying case for the endoscope; it provides secondary services that are not essential for the primary use of the device.
I assume you are heading this way because you would like to classify it separately, and hopefully as class I.

Good luck.
Shimon

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
Thanks Shimon.

Our interpretation of the guidance would lead us to believe that this would not be classified as a stand-alone medical device (SAMD) under the MDR.

The software will become a SAMD in the future (2/3 years down the line), as it will feature diagnostic functions. However, at this point, we are trying to avoid classification as an accessory to prevent unnecessary work whilst we are extremely busy!

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Does the tablet (via the software) hold the images taken by the endoscope? Do the HCPs collect any data about the case on the tablet / with your software? How are the communications between HCP and patient facilitated by your software and does it hold those communications?

Given the limited info, it's, as @shimonv says, hard to say for sure but, to me, it sounds more like it IS a SaMD (not an accessory).

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for this @yodon - you're input is much appreciated.

The software captures the images taken by the endoscope and they are held in the cloud.

HCPs do not collect any data about the case with the software.

The software allows real time communication between users of the application but those communications are not stored - neither in the cloud or on the tablet (it is just like Skype with a UI geared towards healthcare).

We used the following guidance to make the decision around the software and whether it is classified as an SaMD... https://assets.publishing.service.g.../890025/Software_flow_chart_Ed_1-06_FINAL.pdf

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
It's a gray area. I know that PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication Systems) are regulated in the US.

In the IMDRF document "SaMD: Possible Framework..." in the examples section in the appendix, they state:

Software that is connected to a hardware medical device but is not needed by that hardware medical device to achieve its intended medical purpose is SaMD and not an accessory to the hardware medical device. For example, software that allows a commercially available smartphone to view images for diagnostic purposes obtained from a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) medical device is SaMD and not an accessory to MRI medical device.

I guess it all depends on claims. I tend to suggest the conservative route.

If, as you say, you do intend to market the software as a device in the future, you'd probably be well-served by at least doing the development now under 62304. And since you say it will provide diagnosis, that raises the bar considerably.

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
I am also risk-averse @yodon, therefore totally agreed development under 62304 must be adapted sooner rather than later.

The guidance you sent has thrown me off even more! The example in the appendix seems to relate very closely to our situation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
D Software as a Medical Device Accessory Software Quality Assurance 2
K Standalone software - an accessory to medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
A Software contained in a Medical Device Accessory IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S USB Cable (an accessory to our data management software) Changes and 510k IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
S Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Medical software Patient outcome Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
Y We are Looking for EASA LOA TYPE 1 experienced software developer Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
F Grand Avenue Software, Q-Pulse or Qualio - which for a full eQMS? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
K SOUP (Software of Unknown Provenance) Anomaly Documentation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Verify Software Architecture - supporting interfaces between items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Software User Interface Languages for LVD and IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B ISO 14971 Applied to Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
N ERP Software Implementation Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J Designing new gauge tracking software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B Notified Bodies for Software (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K ERP System Software Validation - ISO13485 2016 4.1.6 Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M HR (Human Resources) based software recommendations Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1