Informational Is Past due calibration a non-conformance if tagged "Do Not Use"?

greif

Involved In Discussions
We have a piece of equipment that was due for calibration last month. Being very busy and not needing a piece of equipment in the near future, we have tagged it as "do not use". We calibrate most of our equipment internally, so it is not a matter of sending it out.

Is this practice a non-conformance under either 9001:2015 or 17025:2017?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
I don't see why this will be a nonconformance as long as you are able to prove that the item was under control and not used. In an extreme case maybe you want to include it as part of your policy.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Just remove it from your "active" list, tag it, quarantine it if possible. Thats pretty much what I do. We have much equipment that is only used once in a great while, I tag these as OOS (Out of Service) and CBU (calibrate before use) and go from there. If possible I remove them from the floor where someone could "use them anyway" just to avoid issues.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
We have a piece of equipment that was due for calibration last month.
If there is a question, it is going to be when was it taken out of use and were there 'acceptance' measurements being made with it prior to it being found out-of-calibration, and if so what about those measurements made prior.

quarantine it if possible.
Yup - Lock it up.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Marc makes a good point. Quarantining takes care of it of course, I have a bit of a pile of old measuring instruments myself :). But its effect on product conformity before catching it, if there was one, is probably what you need to figure out.

Just remove it from your "active" list, tag it, quarantine it if possible. Thats pretty much what I do. We have much equipment that is only used once in a great while, I tag these as OOS (Out of Service) and CBU (calibrate before use) and go from there. If possible I remove them from the floor where someone could "use them anyway" just to avoid issues.
This is similar to our process when the determination is made not to calibrate an item--we physically remove it from circulation, mark it as 'Inactive' in our tracking database, and tag them with "Calibrate Before Use" labels. If the item is physically too large to be removed from the area, or if it is mounted in a certain place (as with several pieces of production equipment,) we follow the same protocol for marking it as inactive and labeling it with "Calibrate Before Use" notices, but we also send out an e-mail to all employees.

If you haven't already, you may want to ensure your procedure includes information regarding your company's practices when something goes out of calibration.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
its effect on product conformity before catching it, if there was one, is probably what you need to figure out.
Precisely. I've been through it in client audits going back years. And when I was doing audits I went right there when auditing calibration - Not out of meanness or for a 'got you' for a finding, but to see if they had addressed potential issues prior to pulling it out of use as well as their procedure (or 'policy') for taking measurement equipment out of service.

If you haven't already, you may want to ensure your procedure includes information regarding your company's practices when something goes out of calibration.
Another excellent point.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Another consideration, when you are taking the tool out of service it should be calibrated / verified.

What happens if it was actually out of tolerance when you took it out of service?
That means you could have been doing acceptance measurements with an OOT tool, and you might never know this if you never get around to calibrating it, or you retire it.

Remember, calibration is a backwards looking event - it tells you how your tool was, not how it will be.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Old Man rant follows...
Nice assortment of things to think about- Thanks!
The point of Elsmar for years has been this. Ultimately the point is: When an auditor comes in, are you really ready to explain things to your auditor. By reading threads like this, a person can 'get ideas' and think of things that they might not have. I saw a person promote the phrase "Dominate Your Auditor" in the relatively recent past. Here we do not see it as an adversarial confrontation. We here believe that an audit should be agreeable, and if not pleasant it should be professional and impersonal.

In the 1980's, we passed about cartoons like this one attached in Post 1 here: The Gang Audit

When at clients I tried my best to explain to every employee that auditors are not:

Auditor.gif

This is what you want in your company:

auditor questions.jpg

Be ready to know the answers to potential auditor questions. To do this the company only needs to ensure employees know their jobs, their qualifications to do their jobs. In reading this thread, I labeled it Informational. Out of use instruments is an important point in a calibration system. It's a line an auditor can easily ask about that many company calibration systems do not specifically, with detail, address.

:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
X When a Gage is past the Calibration Due Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Late calibration (Calibration Past Due Date) - What do I do now? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
D State Past Due on its own Meter Inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Quality Audit Advice - Past Due Device Calibrations due to Cal Supplier Issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
J Severity of Finding for "Past Due Gage" found on the shop floor General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 40
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M Capturing Issues of Devices Past Lifetime Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
L ISO13485 past practice labeling vs customer requirement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
V WOW ....Got past through the ASQ CSSBB exam... Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
I CB Scheduling ISO9001 Surveillance Audit 15 Months past Re-Cert Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Baseball Predictions - Just past the all Star Break... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
A 510(k) Review time past 150 days?! 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K How do you audit past verbal approvals against ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3a? Internal Auditing 69
Chennaiite Contents of a 'Past trouble' data base Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
J ISO 9001 the way forward - What has ISO done for you during the past year? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Stijloor Automakers struggle to survive past mistakes World News 6
T New Supplier Evaluated on Past Performance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
D Establishing New Training Procedure - Past Training of Existing Employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
H Corrective Action for Rust - What have you done in the past Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Preventive Actions - Share yours, past and present Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 10
Marc Television Picture Tubes (CRTs) Are Fading Into the Past After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
J Need to find past DCX Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
A Training feedback form I could use to evaluate past training - Seeking Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
W Can psychics really see the past/future? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 80
Wes Bucey Tips to get past the "gatekeeper" when job hunting Career and Occupation Discussions 125
C Archive Requirements - Past engineering change levels and service parts for PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
Claes Gefvenberg Past the deadline: Your 9001:2000 status? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Claes Gefvenberg E-learning take 2... Is anyone currently, or in the past, tried E-Learning? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
E Material Review Boards - Are these DOD things a thing of the past? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I IATF 2016 - 8.5.1.4 Verification after shutdown due to COVID19 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
S Returned product due to Customers fault, is it a Non-Conformance? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
R DCMA QAS is holding up shipments of product due to them being late AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
V "Manufacturer Symbol on Device is missed due to space constraint" EU requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 11
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
F MDR ISO 13485 for Class I sw/hw company to be class II due dates ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A ISO 14001:2015 transition audit - Major NC due to the procedure and audit plan ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
E Non Conformity due to Outsourced Internal Audit Error ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3