Is permission from Registrar needed for deciding on in-house calibration?

V

viren

hi
we are going to start the in-house calibration with the help of the calibration software and i wanted to know is it needed to seek permission from the registrar to use the software, we are also planning to use the shop software for process management, please suggest

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
What kind of software for what kind of calibrations? If it's just software used to track and record calibrations, you should have no problems. Your system is defined by your organization. You don't need anyone's permission to decide to use software as part of it.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Howste pretty much covered it. Your registrar should be much more concerned with you having a calibration program, and that it is effective; that how you choose to implement it. Your system and the associated components should be able to identify compliance with the requirements.

Now... a bit off-topic from your question... not sure if you have ever ran a calibration program, but there is more to it than meets the eye.:) Unless you have a large number of instruments, it might be worth it to find a competent calibration source, and have them calibrate your instruments.

However, when discussing keeping track of stuff, there are calibration software programs that do very well, access and excel also work just as good.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
hi
we are going to start the in-house calibration with the help of the calibration software and i wanted to know is it needed to seek permission from the registrar to use the software, we are also planning to use the shop software for process management, please suggest

I agree with Howste. First, the Registrar does not run your organization, you do. How you decide to run it is your business...Not the Registrar's. You just need to make sure you cover the requirements and comply with the Standard; and I repeat...the Registrar's function is to assure/validate that you meet the requirements and that is it.

Last edited:
D

Dean Frederickson

Do not forget that if you were outsourcing your calibration before, that you will have to rewrite your procedure for calibration.:2cents:

Randy

Super Moderator
Do whatever you want as long as you control it and record as required. Your Registrar has no say in "what" you do or any changes you make as long as you meet any applicable requirements effectively and appropriately.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
I think people are focusing on calibration tracking and the "permission" facets of your question. You probably need calibration tracking even if you are not doing the calibration to determine if your devices are due or not, in use, etc. As far as permission, you can do whatever you want. But, if you want your efforts to be accepted by your customers, you need to meet their requirements - such as TS 16949 internal laboratory requirements or ISO17025 . You may need to add your calibration capabilities to either one of those certification scopes.

But, really, you can't just start calibrating things. You really need to have properly trained technicians, procedures, records, standards, etc. Your software typically provides a spot to put your procedures, which is handy. But, you need to have some bona fide training records for your calibration personnel. Otherwise, as a customer I would no likely accept your in-house calibrations. There are a lot of folks claiming to be doing "calibration" in-house, but their techniques are so backyard that I would be hard pressed to even call their work "verification".

I doubt if things have changed that much over the years. I believe the easiest thing - still - to find nonconformances on is a calibration system. :cool:

AndyN

Moved On
hi

It's not your CB's responsibility to give 'permission'. It's a good idea to have a plan to implement your change and to ensure the change of your system is not a suprise to the auditor, but other than that, you have to do nothing that involves your CB.

Top Bottom