Is PPM a good metric for gathering companywide complaints ?

melissa237

Starting to get Involved
Greetings Cove Friends!

I work for an apparel company, prior to my arrival they gathered complaints from 3 different departments separately; production, customer service and packaging/shipping. These are all calculated in PPMs, productions is compared to what they produced for the month and customer service and shipping is compared to the number of pieces invoiced.

My issue is, we are ignoring complaints from other departments giving us a false sense of security in our PPMs. We can get complaints from accounting, design, graphics and a few other departments. There is a tracking mechanism so I am able to gather the complaints from the other departments, I'm just wondering how to compare total complaints like this to derive the PPM. Would you use number of pieces invoiced or total produced. Something to consider is our sewing floor may produce more product than what was invoiced because we sometimes add to shelf stock than send directly to the customer. Or is there another metric that I could use? My goal is to provide not only a department metric but also a company wide metric.

Thank you in advance!
Regards,
Melissa

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Gathering Companywide Complaints

Good morning melissa,

I do not feel sure that ppm is the best metric for everything. If I understand your reference correctly, it is "parts per million" and as such relies on a large number of transactions, items sold or opportunities for error. Where the numbers are smaller, could a simple ratio work?

I am also wondering if everything is to be given the same level of importance as ppm, which started out as a metric for manufacturing (usually low cost) widgets. Where a single lost customer or line error in accounting can exceed the cost damage of a thousand defective widgets, why not raise the threshold of some metrics just based on management interest?

A balanced scorecard such as this image from the internet can provide you the flexibility and format to track multiple things at once. Your organization can set the formulas and thresholds, and indeed as you get better the formulas and thresholds could change to reflect the "tightening" of controls and better outcomes.

I hope this helps!

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not put off by the use of ppm as it really is nothing more than using a % except the multiplier is different. Jennifer has a good point about scale tho. If the occurrence rate is large enough a % or simple proportion should suffice. If the occurrence rate is very small, ppm is a suitable adjustment of the proportion.

Jennifer is also correct that you might want to assess the severity of the defect/error in your metric. This is usually done with some type of Cost of poor quality assessment or weighting depending on the effect on the Customer work flow or loyalty...although these can be somewhat more complicated to implement, so if you are just getting started and people understand that the goal is to continually improve the occurrence rates of defects/errors then it might be sufficient to start with a simple occurrence rate.

Your denominator should be the number of opportunities for the specific type of errors or defects and this always varies by department. for accounting its number of invoices (or statements) for shipping it may be line items or packages or orders. it gets messy quickly.

I would suggest that you search for the phrase perfect order metric. it is a holistic metric for what I think you are trying to do - at any rate it may give you some ideas...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L PPM Defect Rate as a Performance Metric - Are there Flaws? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Targets / limits for PPM/ Scrap Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R PPM, Pictorial Process Mapping, Templates Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V PPM - Internal PPM / External PPM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
N Converting ETO Residual Limits from PPM to mg ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Q PPM - Filtering Defects out of calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
L Oil Field Bearing Production PPM Standard Benchmarking 2
V How is PPM (Parts Per Million) Calculated? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L Help with concept of PPM in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Z Predicting External PPM Capability from Internal PPM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Cell Rubber Stamping PPM for Scrap Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
R Supplier Deviations - Should this be counted in the supplier ppm? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S How to calculate Supplier PPM at Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Z Is There a Benchmark for PPM for Medical Devices? Benchmarking 4
K Proper YTD PPM Supplier Calculation Six Sigma 3
M California Proposition 65 Compliant (no more than 600 ppm touch area) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M What is an acceptable PPM for large volume fasteners? APQP and PPAP 6
G Sample Size for 2900 ppm Visual Defects Inspection Requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
V Calculation of PPM & Sigma Level in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Suitability of Attribute Control Charts for ppm Level Control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Start Up Scrap vs. ppm (Parts per Million) in an FMEA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
H PPM Prediction for a New Automotive Electronic Product Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
I Defectives (ppm) coming from Visual Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G How do I calculate PPM from a Rolled Wire Suppllier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
C Comparing PPM Year over Year - Determining the PPM decrease from 2009 to 2010 Benchmarking 10
5 Calculating PPM - Multiple product lines and multiple type of parts Six Sigma 2
B Automotive Supplier Benchmarking - Supplier PPM Data Benchmarking 5
O Estimating the dpm and ppm of the process from Cp and Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S "Acceptable" PPM Level for Aluminum Die Casting Benchmarking 3
S Six sigma and defect rate (6 sigma = 3.4 PPM) Six Sigma 6
L Quality PPM (parts per million) Tracking - Stats for our Management Review Meeting Benchmarking 8
A What is the appropriate PPM Level for Sheet Metal Fabrication? Benchmarking 5
D Internal or External PPM form or template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Are Parts in a Positive Recall w/o Customer Complaint considered as External PPM? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
P How to "translate" PPM and On Time Delivery in Monetary Terms Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
A How do I set up a PPM with Total pcs shipped vs. Total Scrap for the month Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
J Are there PPM statistics kept by Industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Calculating the Lead (Pb) ppm from the Plating Layer RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
J When to start counting supplier PPM? Supplier Performance Metrics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
A Calculating PPM for bulk-type product Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E PPM and not a million parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S Confusion DPU, PPM & DPMO vs. Sigma Level - ASQ Six Sigma Black Belt hand book Six Sigma 14