Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed?

RealQualityGuy

Starting to get Involved
Hello all,

I work in a class 2 medical device manufacturing company, we have DC motors in our products. These are purchased parts, therefore, we have a motor tester that tests the motors to drawing specification. Before, running the test we do something called Pre-conditioning where we connect the motor to a power supply and run it for 10 minutes before testing it on the motor tester. The problem is if you do not pre condition motors, they fail acceptance criteria and are therefore rejected. This pre-conditioning process is not documented. There is no drawing criteria that calls for it. Moreover, I do not know if the pre-conditioning impacts the motors or simply makes them pass the test. Is this an acceptable practice? if not documented? If so where should we document it? we are currently in favor of the practice of using the pre-conditioning as a rework.

This could be an ethical or quality issue too.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
RealQualityGuy:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Outside my field, but I'd wager that if you run some in as a hedge against infant mortality, and scrap the fails, that's a legit use. It would need to be documented of course.

Whereas if you're warming them up so they will start reliably in your test, and the product is not expected to be used in the same manner, NOW you have a problem...

RealQualityGuy

Starting to get Involved
Thank you, normzone.

We do not do any sort of Infant Mortality Testing. We get motors from the supplier, it gets rejected when we put it on the motor tester, we have found a work around by running them in and testing them. We always pass. All this has very little or no documentation at all.

Management says it is okay to do this. Under pressure as you might imagine. But, I have some serious concerns on this burn in practice.

also, we make medical devices that have this motor as an integral component. Product is not expected to be burnt-in by end user before use.

:thanx:

Last edited:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I can't answer from a medical perspective, but I do know in my hobby of model railroading it is well worth "breaking in" a motor in a model locomotive and run it in to allow the gears to wear in and mesh well. Once you do that, you've done it and don't have to do it again. So I assume you have a similar situation - it is well worth breaking in the motor but once it is "broken in" it is completed and doesn't have to be done again. So, I'd say that doesn't count as a test failure or infant mortality.

Why the supplier can't do a good break-in prior to shipping the motors may be a question to ask them. . .

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steve makes a good point...
Do all of the motors get a run-in prior to use by the Customer? This may be at incoming or during your assembly/test process?

If so, then run-in is simply a part of your normal process - although as Normzone says it should be documented for the incoming test.

If not, then shouldn't the motors fail a the first Custoemr use as well as at Incoming? Or is the incoming test not predictive of Customer use/failure?

RealQualityGuy

Starting to get Involved
Steve,

You raise a good point, however, I do know that the supplier does the "Burn-in" before shipping the motors from China to the USA. In this case, I have gathered some data (customer complaints, pre and post burn in motor data) which can point to the fact that the Burn-in feature is temporary. It wears out after time, so in order to meet drawing spec we have to run them in prior to Motor testing.:thanks:

Bev,
The customer does no Burn in before use of the product. The incoming test is not predictive of the customer use. :thanx:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
What type of motors are these? AC, DC, Brushless DC, and are they attached to gearboxes? Are they continuous or intermittent duty?

I have a motor background, so I might be able to figure out what is going on.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Sorry. I just noticed that you had mentioned DC in your first post. Please respond about the gearbox and duty cycle, but the issue is probably related to run-in of the brushes.

The company I worked at would run DC motors for a period of time to seat the brushes to the commutator. This had a direct impact on the electrical performance characteristics of the motor. Many motor manufacturers skip this step to reduce lead times and expense.

RealQualityGuy

Starting to get Involved
Miner, yes the motor does have a gearbox attached to it. Not sure about the Duty Cycle as it is controller based. Would have to do a little research to come up with it as it is not on the drawing.

I do understand that running in Motors for a period of time seats the brushes to the commutator. But in this case, the motor manufacturer has already Burnt in the motor so I assume it is strictly a one time process. That is not the case with us because we had to burn it in twice.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The exact time of the duty cycle is not important. It is the contrast between continuous duty and intermittent duty.

Since you do have a gearbox attached, it is probably an intermittent duty motor. The mechanical resistance of the gearbox will have a significant impact on measured characteristics of the motor. You could be seeing the effect of warm up on the gearbox lubricants, which would typically reduce the viscosity and reduce friction.

Regarding burn-in of brushes, it is a one-time process for the brushes, but should be repeated each time the brushes wear out and are replaced.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Humidity Pre-Conditioning before leakage current and dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E Humidity Pre-Conditioning IEC 60601-1 (2005) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
J Pre-Conditioning Leakage Current IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H Queries: RFD & Pre-RFD Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Pre-clinical Studies for RUO Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Redacted pre-submission bundle that you would be willing to share US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D FDA Pre-Submission Meeting Advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada – Consultation: Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Manufacturing site relocation of pre amendment Class II medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Users won't return devices from pre-CE performance evaluation study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
GoSpeedRacer Pre-Work and Study for ISO 13485:2016 Lead Auditor Class ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Is 'Compliance' a pre-requisite or is it ok before Batch Release to Market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Writing a Pre-Submission to the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 44
P EASA STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) on a Pre-mod FAA STC Configuration EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
H Pre compliance test for Glucometer Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Pre-dispensed API material received in predetermined quantities & given to production Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
somashekar Pre-Announced FDA 4 Day Inspection, Class 2 Devices, Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
Q FDA Consensus Standard for PMA (Pre-Market Approval) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Does anyone have experience providing a summary of Pre-IDE discussions in the 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
JoCam Format of Health Canada pre-market licence application Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
V 510(K) Cyber Security Documentation for Pre-market Submission (Templates) Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Infusion Pump - Pre-Clearance Inspections Learnings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Crimpshrine13 ISO/TS 16949 Pre-Audit Requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Marc USA to insist on pre-flight mobe power probe Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
G 510(k) Pre-market approval Application Requirements - Effectiveness of the product Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Harmonisation of Global Medical Device Pre-Market Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
D Pre-Design Verification - Using Continuous / Variables Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Pre-clinical Animal Studies for long term implantable medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
V Should template/formats be pre configured to claim 21 CFR part 11 compliance? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Ownership of Pre-Clinical cGMP Stability Testing Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
F Pre-written Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) rant! Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
F Definition Medical Device Contract Manufacturing PAI (Pre-Approval Inspection) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
J Pre-Revenue Medical Device Company ISO 13485 Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1