Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows?

Seekingknowledgee

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this. So one of the basic questions I want to verify is what a Quality Management System is. I know that every company has its own QMS.
But is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? Is that it? Like if a company follows all the quality regulations of, Let's say, ISO 13485, then if a question arises, "What is your company's QMS?/ What kind of QMS does your company follow?" Then the answer would be, " My company follows a QMS of ISO13485" .
Is that how it would go?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Involved In Discussions
You are on the right track. Depending on the markets your company participates in, there will be local country requirements too. 13485 is a good starting point to build on. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Seekingknowledgee

Starting to get Involved
You are on the right track. Depending on the markets your company participates in, there will be local country requirements too. 13485 is a good start point to build on. Enjoy the ride.
Thanks William. Quick question. Lets say two companies, both certified as ISO13485 only. No other QMS/Certifications that they have. Both manufacture same product, in same country.
Since they both are ISO13485, Will both be following the same rules/regulations? In other words asking " Is it possible that in spite both companies manufacture same product in same country and same everything, they follow different rules and regulations, and both still be ISO13485? "

In other words, Does ISO13485 (or any other QMS) give leniency/flexibility to companies that would not like to follow some of the rules and regs imposed by ISO13485, and still be certified as ISO13485(or whichever QMS)?

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
From ISO 9000:2015 -

2.2.2 Quality management system
A QMS comprises activities by which the organization identifies its objectives and determines the processes and resources required to achieve desired results.
The QMS manages the interacting processes and resources required to provide value and realize results for relevant interested parties.
The QMS enables top management to optimize the use of resources considering the long and short term consequences of their decision.
A QMS provides the means to identify actions to address intended and unintended consequences in providing products and services.
Typically, a QMS is going to comply with one or more standards, such as 9001 or 13485, and also any applicable regulations, etc.; but the QMS itself is an organization-specific entity.

Tagin

In other words, Does ISO13485 (or any other QMS) give leniency/flexibility to companies that would not like to follow some of the rules and regs imposed by ISO13485, and still be certified as ISO13485(or whichever QMS)?
The ISO standards like 13485 are not rules or regulations per se. Rather, the standards like 13485 try to specify a number of things that 'shall' be done by the QMS without specifying exactly how to do them. So, one company might document nonconformances with paper forms handled by a single person, whereas another company might have an electronic QMS system and a team or board that reviews nonconformances. As long as both companies meet the intent of the standard in documenting. reviewing and taking action, etc. on nonconformances, then they will both comply with applicable shalls in the standard.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Last edited:

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I tend to think of a QMS as a ship.
The QMS does not tell you how to steer the ship, but it requires that you verify that someone is steering.
If two companies decide to go to the same place, the QMS does NOT require that they take the same route, or have the same type of ship... but it does make sure that someone paid attention to what type of ship, and that someone thought about whether or not the route goes toward the destination.

I was in a company with a robust QMS, single owner private company, and we made stuff and sold it.
It was purchased by a company that ran a completely different QMS under the same standard, a public company that tried (and failed) to make the same stuff and sell it.
The method of making the stuff was radically different, the corporate goals were totally different, HR was totally different, quality of product was totally different.

Both companies had a plan for making "stuff"...but the plans differed wildly.
Both companies had an end goal they were trying to achieve...but the targets differed wildly.
Both companies tried to make the same thing...on totally different ships, by totally different routes.
The QMS commonality was that those high level choices were made and documented...and to a great degree, that's what a QMS "is".
Making sure that someone is steering and making decisions...not forcing all to make the same choices, just forcing said choices.

HTH

Seekingknowledgee

Starting to get Involved
I tend to think of a QMS as a ship.
The QMS does not tell you how to steer the ship, but it requires that you verify that someone is steering.
If two companies decide to go to the same place, the QMS does NOT require that they take the same route, or have the same type of ship... but it does make sure that someone paid attention to what type of ship, and that someone thought about whether or not the route goes toward the destination.

I was in a company with a robust QMS, single owner private company, and we made stuff and sold it.
It was purchased by a company that ran a completely different QMS under the same standard, a public company that tried (and failed) to make the same stuff and sell it.
The method of making the stuff was radically different, the corporate goals were totally different, HR was totally different, quality of product was totally different.

Both companies had a plan for making "stuff"...but the plans differed wildly.
Both companies had an end goal they were trying to achieve...but the targets differed wildly.
Both companies tried to make the same thing...on totally different ships, by totally different routes.
The QMS commonality was that those high level choices were made and documented...and to a great degree, that's what a QMS "is".
Making sure that someone is steering and making decisions...not forcing all to make the same choices, just forcing said choices.

HTH
That's a nice analogy. Thanks for that. That's one step closer to understanding QMS for me.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, most companies that decide to develop the way their organization works as a system to fulfill requirements already have their own unique cultures (shared beliefs), designs of services, designs of products, processes for delivering their services and products etc...

...and yet all can comply with legal requirements and the ISO system standards because of the way they are written for our use in the free world.

A totalitarian state may be a different matter!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D As a newcomer to QMS, I really appreciate how ISO is set up. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
F How to set-up a Dual Company QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Paperless Compliance - Planning to set up an ISO 13485 compliant QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T How you ensure that QMS is effective and efficient? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D ISO 9001 certificate issued by QMS International for 10 years - legit? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Offsite storage of QMS documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H Expanding our business and the implications to our QMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Is there a better way to do a complete assessment of our QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
qualprod From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
qualprod Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
DuncanGibbons Enterprise Architecture for QMS Conceptualization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Drupal for QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 26
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
U QMS for medical device startups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D How do I promote my QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
H QMS Software Recommendation (US based, Hemp) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
D Why are pharma companies automating QMS systems? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
dgrainger QMS for device "use" in a Health Institution? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9