Is QS-9000 certification acceptable for suppliers or must they be ISO 9001:2000?

T

Tim2004

Is QS 9000 certification accecptable for TS?

I have the responsibility in my organazation for supplier development. We are currently registered to QS 9000, but our company has made the decision to go to TS16949 later this year. We just recently started to supply a product to Damiler Chrysler directly so now I guess we are a tier 1 supplier.

My boss just recently returned from attending a TS16949 lead auditor training and told me that all our suppliers who are QS 9000 registered will need to be ISO 9001:2000. :( Is this and accurate statement?

I'm feel the intent of TS is to that assure that sub contractors have a QMS in place and isn't ISO9001;2000 a minimum requirement?

S

SilverHawk

Supplier Qualification

Under 7.4.1.2 of TS2 requirement, "The organization shall perform supplier quality management system development with the goal of supplier conformity with this TS. Conformity with ISO 9001:2000 is the first step in achieving this goal." (After all QS-9000 is gone by 2006! And technically, organization cannot go for re-certification to QS-9000... they have to upgrade to TS2!)

Under IATF Guidance to TS2, "Supplier" refers to site where production and/or service parts specified by the customer are manufactured. (GM noted that indirect and service providers such as distributors, logistics, sequencers, parts packagers, tooling & equipment are not included in this requirement.

Under DCX customer specific requirement 4.1.6, "DCX will accept registration to QS-9000 in lieu of ISO 9001:2000 until July 1, 2004.

Yet Ford's CSR under 4.27, your suppliers or subcontractors have to achieve 3rd. party certification to TS1 or TS2, QS-900, or the current version of ISO 9000 (obviously, ISO 9001:2000).

Perhaps, your boss whon has attended the lead auditor course is half right ! Talk to your customer, DCX.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
If you become certified to TS 16949, you must require your suppliers to become ISO 9001:2000 certified
- if they supply product going into automotive
- unless your customer(s) agree to other arrangements.
As mentioned above, you need to look at your customer's CSRs to see if they have already waived the requirement.

When it comes time for your certification audit, if your suppliers have not met the requirements yet, they will expect that you have a plan in place, including a target date, for meeting the requirements.

BTW, did your boss take the class last week in Nashville? I had someone in class from Ohio... ;)

Top Bottom