Is Quoting a Process with Objectives?

Need a little help here.

If quoting is a process, is it required to have goals?

I was under the impression that if it is a process you are required to have goals?

Or if it is an input that could possibly result in an output.

Any thoughts

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I agree, and actually that is exactly what i am using for current metrics. The main question though, is it a requirement to have goals for the quoting process and if so where is this stated in the ISO 9001 requirments?

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree, and actually that is exactly what i am using for current metrics. The main question though, is it a requirement to have goals for the quoting process and if so where is this stated in the ISO 9001 requirments?
Well if you determine its something you need to measure to improve your QMS its 4.1.1 in AS9100D and its not bold so I'm pretty sure its the same reference in the ISO. So I'd start there we have quotes in our customer related processes PEAR and use those metrics to monitor it.

I am with you and I believe it should be monitored but I was told if we don't have to do it we are not doing it. That is where I am stuck because I believe it should be done but I can't find where it specifically states that it is required to do so.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Securing the work required by the organization is a process of which quoting is part.

Some quotes are really “no thank you but please keep asking”.

In many organizations bidding requires input from multiple functions, for example:

1. Should we quote?
2. What further info do we need?
3. Who do we want on our team?
4. What are the prospective client's needs?
5. Develop our service spec to fulfill those needs
6. Obtain approval of the Service Spec
7. Determine the cost of fulfilling the approved spec
8. Review our bid to determine our price.
9. Negotiate contract
10. Determine reasons for winning or losing the bid

So, unless you are plucking the price from a table, quoting is a process.

I am very grateful for everyone's responses and I agree it should be done but my boss states he doesn't want to do it unless it is specifically required per ISO 9001:2015. I am looking for guidance to where this is stated or better yet if these goals are not monitored would this be a finding?

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am very grateful for everyone's responses and I agree it should be done but my boss states he doesn't want to do it unless it is specifically required per ISO 9001:2015. I am looking for guidance to where this is stated or better yet if these goals are not monitored would this be a finding?
Try this as John says quoting is a process so

4.4.2 To the extent necessary, the organization shall:
a. maintain documented information to support the operation of its processes;
b. retain documented information to have confidence that the processes are being carried out as planned

Doesn't have to be a massive amount of detail we look to provide a quote within a working week and within 48hours once logged on the ERP. We attach the quote request into the quote's additional documents and we monitor the quote returns in a monthly report. Quote success is a harder one as it can take a lot longer to get a response from our customers so we monitor quotes in a six month period received and compare it to how may of those items are created on our system in the same period. The quote turnaround provides us with more value than the latter in the short term as we have some projects where we have the parts not coming to us until after the quotes expired and have to start again.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
ghunt,

Your organization has decided to stop quoting?

I suspect your boss is already “doing it”, cuz all orgs have to get work before they can do work and get paid.

Kindly confirm,

John

No. My boss does the quoting so he would be the process owner but he doesn't want to do any metrics and stated he did his homework and talked to other companies and they said that they don't do any so why are you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Has anyone ever written a Quoting Process? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Anerol C How to Audit the Quoting Process Internal Auditing 6
K Rules or guidelines for quoting FDA announcements and such? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D When Quoting an ISO Standard should I put the quote in italics? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Which ISO/TS 16949 clauses are applicable to auditing Quoting and Sales? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
A Changing a Document used in Procedure for Quoting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Job Quoting and Inspection Labor Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Measuring Effectiveness of Quoting Department Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 23
S Turtle Diagrams for Quoting & Sales (Order Processing) - Identifying Metrics Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 15
J APQP and Quoting - When does APQP start? Are Feasibility Studies Required? APQP and PPAP 2
R Quoting Jobs: Cost of a Consultant? Consultants and Consulting 21
T Feasibility review prior to quoting - Requirements Review - 7.2.2 Feasibility Help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Combo Product Assembly Process OQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
V Process revalidation periodic criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Fully refurbishing process EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Information on Process-based Internal Auditing Needed Internal Auditing 6
Sortinghat Auditing the Manufacturing Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Process Owner Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
S Measurment of DPU/DPMO in Assembly process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Can you have one Core Process (PEAR) with multiple plants? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D "FAI" Requirements/Process for New Supplier Materials Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
W Nonconforming-Material Process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
S Performance Qualification and Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Sr Process Engineer (Hillsboro, OR) - SPC Program Focused - Ultra Clean Technology Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
S RFQ Process Automotive Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
M Vendor selection process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Process Potential estimation for binary data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
D Machine rebuilds versus process re-validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Does TPI agencies comes under outsourced process as per Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
Q What is Process Auditing? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
Z PSW approval process for production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Process Validation Before/After Sterilization? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
A Layered Process Audits for Medical Device Manufacturing? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Derrick Yang 各国医疗器械上市流程的区别 (Differences in the listing process of medical devices in various countries) Service Industry Specific Topics 3
A " I, as a 3rd party auditor, retain the obligation to determine whether or not the process is "effective"... Discuss. Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
J Process capability analysis in ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Comparing process parameters on non-normal batches Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
M How to apply IEC 62304 Problem Resolution Process for bugs discovered prior to release i.e. during initial development? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I In-Process Inspection Raw Data ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M How to show the effect of the failure mode on the manufacturing process as a customer of product design process? FMEA and Control Plans 3
V MDL/MDEL private label process Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
B Vision system process validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D IATF 16949 Process Map IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
J 9001 Internal Audit of Client Onboarding process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B SPECIAL PROCESS VALIDATION & REVALIDATION Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Q Is engineering a process and should it have its own process turtle? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Post Market Surveillance Process EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Process owner for Supplier Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
H API monogram 4F - Certification process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2