Is repeatability required for equipment calibration?

greif

Involved In Discussions
We calibrate a lot of our own equipment. My question is, that in addition to measuring a calibrated, traceable, master scale at 20 points per axis, do we also (for each calibration ) need to make some sort of check of measurement repeatability (such as measure the same distance 20 times)?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

greif

Involved In Discussions
My main concern is; can I be sure the machine is measuring correctly, unless repeatability is checked periodically?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
My main concern is; can I be sure the machine is measuring correctly, unless repeatability is checked periodically?
I don't know what you mean by "repeatability" in this context. It has a particular meaning in MSA. You assure that the machine is measuring correctly by way of periodic calibration.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Repeatability of the gage itself is most times assumed...the thing works or it doesn't. That being if you use a gage to measure a thing more than once, you get a "repeatable enough to not care about" result.... the 'caring about' being established by GRR...

What specific type of gage raises your concern?

greif

Involved In Discussions
I am thinking of a 2 axis CMM (x-y) in this case. Calibration is to insure a machine is measuring correctly. Something loose on the machine would make poor repeatability which would affect the accuracy of some readings.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I am thinking of a 2 axis CMM (x-y) in this case. Calibration is to insure a machine is measuring correctly. Something loose on the machine would make poor repeatability which would affect the accuracy of some readings.
Now you're in another different subject--device maintenance. If something loose on the machine might affect measurements, you should make sure that nothing is loose before measuring.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
That is the point of the repeatability check- it would point out that something is loose.
  1. What you're referring to as repeatability is not repeatability as the term is used in metrology. Avoid confusion by not using the term in an eccentric way.
  2. If you're afraid that your CMM is defective in some way, you should have that attended to.
  3. Do MSA as necessary to find out if there are issues with repeatability (and reproducibility).

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
When something goes wonky with a CMM, it's usually fairly obvious in my experience... loss of focus (Z-axis motor), clicks, grinds, absurd data coming out...
If you're worried about it...simply keep a "known" at the machine and measure it when in doubt.

I had a MicroVu Vertex for 13years of daily use and the only time it needed repair for function was when a z-axis motor went out...it was pretty darned obvious with all the racket it made trying to focus.
Measuring 20x on the same part to verify seems like total overkill...just make a simple test regimen (2minutes or less) to verify function.

We had a program to measure ID and OD of O-rings...I just put my wedding ring on the stage and hit "go"...if there were any issue in X, Y or Z it would have shown up immediately. I would do that perhaps 2-3 times a year, typically while training someone new to the machine.
Other operators used it every day, multiple times a day...again, if something were wrong, it's pretty obvious on a CMM.
HTH

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Repeatability issue in Gage R&R study for inner diameter of a bushing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
B How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R Repeatability in MSA - Is repeatability a measure of Location Error Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Method Repeatability for MU (Measurement Uncertainty) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
K Wilson Hardness Tester Model 525 Accuracy/Repeatability issues help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Repeatability vs. Instrument Specifications Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
J Repeatability Standard Deviation Formula in MSA 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Jerry Eldred New ILAC Requirements Regarding Repeatability - Your thoughts on this please Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
T Value of K1, K2, K3 in GR&R - I want to measure Repeatability and Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C How to use GR&R for Machine Repeatability Study when there are no specs? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Minitab Type 1 Repeatability & GRR% of Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Gage Repeatability for an Automated Leak Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S Weight Scale Gage R&R (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Gauge repeatability and reproducibility (Gage R&R) worksheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Determining Repeatability without Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
D Gage R&R Repeatability - How do I know my gauge is in specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Gage Reproducibility & Repeatability for POKA-YOKE (pass/fail) gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) using Minitab 14 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
U Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) Understanding for the Layperson Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Repeatability for an Electrical Screwdriver Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
F How would you Verify Repeatability and Reproducibility of Measurement Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Operator Capability - Gage R&R Poor Repeatability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Measuring Tape Repeatability and Accuracy - Types of tapes - ECIII, ECII and ECI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Gage repeatability and reproducibility - GRP% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA Attribute gage repeatability and reproducibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Y Product Stability (Machine Capability) vs. Equipment Repeatability (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Repeatability Variation and Constant d2* - What is d2* and how is it calculated? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Dummies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 67
P Gage Repeatability (1x1x10) form - 1 part measured 10 times by 1 appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability): What are the calculation restrictions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Determining Gauge R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Automated Testing Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Issues Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Courier Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) - Automotive Requirements Basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Repeatability after CMM repair work Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J What is an acceptable Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Bias, Stability and Repeatability - What is an acceptable percent % ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) - Tolerance vs. Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
R Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility (Gage R&R) on all shop floor gages? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3