Is Sorting a kind of Rework?

tongxiaozhi

Involved In Discussions
It states in 8.7.1.4 that we shall utilize risk analysis to assess risks in the rework process prior to a decision to rework the product. In my situation, we have some sortings after production because the process can't guarantee 100% quality, so, is sorting a kind of rework?

thanks for your reply.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

tongxiaozhi

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your answer.

I checked the ISO 9001, there is no definition of the sorting. I only found the definition of inspeciton (determination of conformity of specified requirements). My understanding is that soring is a kind of inspection. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Essentially, yes - A sort is an inspection. One might say it is a "special" inspection as it is for a defect which has been identified that has escaped the process for one reason or another, and the sort is focused on that specific defect in already produced product. That's not to say a sort can not include more than one characteristic, but typically in my experience that has been the case.

A sort "inspection" is meant to be a temporary inspection while the escape path is identified and closed. Usually the control plan or other relevant process document is revised to include a method to ensure that the defect can not escape again. Other documents, such as the process FMEA, may also be revised. In some cases the process flow may be revised as well.

As to ISO 9001 defining what "sort" is in a manufacturing environment, it probably isn't defined in an ISO 900x document. You will more likely find it in automotive and aerospace.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Non-Conformances Found After 3rd Party Sorting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M 3rd Party Sorting and Inspection Company Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 4
Marc Sorting Forum Listings (Filterss) - 19 November 2018 Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
H Sorting Supplier Requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Customer Requirement for Sorting - Visual Defect on Plastic Part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Can any one share the Sorting Protocol? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
B Non Acceptable % Tolerance Result - Decrease Sorting Limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
AnaMariaVR2 Excel - Sorting by Product or Raw Materials [need Help] Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
A Template for Agreements with Third Party Sorting Houses IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Sorting Out Attribute Data - What is this data telling me? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
L Sorting Instruction Template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Sorting instruction when point out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
C Minitab Column Sorting Issue - Invalid variable(s) to sort Using Minitab Software 9
Kales Veggie Fastener Sorting Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
N Getting a Sorting Company ON the GM CS-2 Authorized Controlled Shipping List? Service Industry Specific Topics 9
Jim Wynne How much third-party sorting is unnecessary - War Stories Wanted Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
J 100% Visual Sorting Effectiveness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
P Is there a TS/ISO 16949 requirement for 3rd Party Sorting companies? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
W Sorting in Microsoft Excel .xls - I want to create a Pareto Chart Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 21
P Sorting Charges - Figuring a rough way to charge suppliers for sorting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D MSA for Vision Sorting Equipment (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Z Gage R&R for sorting gage - Leaktester to inspect for leakrates on parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I What kind of information needs to be in a calibration record? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
L Document review is a kind of verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Why I get a different kind of regression equation when I do the same data in a differ Using Minitab Software 7
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
R What kind of Objective Evidence - AS9100 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Mixed Reality - What kind of possibilities can you imagine? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J What kind of Tool and Gauge in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V What kind of audit for a production transfer? Internal Auditing 3
A What kind of test is described in subclause 56.3(c) of IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J What kind of beauty/skin products should 20-25 year olds use Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
N This is my kind of flow chart ;) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
W What kind of data is expected for a PPAP Material Analysis Report IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D Template for the kind of naming convention on my test setup Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K What kind of people are suitable for Quality Management? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
J What kind of a visual aid is this? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C What kind of information you provide when conducting QMS Orientation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
H What kind of training would you recommend to start on the process improvement world? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
Marc Interrupted Sleep Might Be the Best Kind Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
V What kind of Data should support Fit/Function Characteristics? APQP and PPAP 1
D What kind of ISO 14000 do I have to use on this Company? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 9
E What kind of questions will you ask on a quality quiz? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
J Which kind of medical equipment must comply with IEC60601-1-8? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B What kind of insulin syringe is this for? ISO 8537:2007 Section 8, Table 1 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M FMEA for Drilling Process - What kind of failure can happen during drilling process? FMEA and Control Plans 8