Is SPC Required on ALL Special Characteristics?

A

AllenLee

SC Vs SPC

Could anybody tell me whether we need to conduct SPC control chart to control all of the Special Characteristics?

------------------
Allen Lee

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Originally posted by AllenLee:
Could anybody tell me whether we need to conduct SPC control chart to control all of the Special Characteristics?

Nowhere in QS-9000 is a requirements to use SPC charts. What is required is that a company review the need for statistical techniques during the APQP process (4.20).

I think there is an ever declining view that SPC and statistics are synonimous, they are not. SPC is a specific set of techniques, statistics cover a much larger scale.

Most of us have graphs and charts as part on management review. They are not SPC charts, but they are statistical charts as they contain numbers, trends, actions required etc...

On a more personal level, I believe all special characteristics need some type of control methodology that is determined during the preparation of the FMEA and control plans. They do not have to be SPC, but SPC charts work well in identifying and verifying the process.

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 03 August 2001).]

A

AJLenarz

Al –

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong here….. it is a requirement in QS9000 to follow the requirement set forth in the PPAP manual (4.2.4). Although I don’t have a PPAP manual in front of me and if my memory serves me correctly, it is a requirement in the PPAP manual to maintain capability indices of 1.XX on special characteristics.

To achieve a CPK value we must first determine our process is in control. To determine our process is in control we utilize a SPC chart. So in a round about way, it is a requirement to utilize SPC for special characteristics.

I would be interested in hearing other takes on this….

A

Al Dyer

You are correct, that is why I limited the scope of my answer to the QS-9000 manual. Per the PPAP manual we shall perform "initial" capability studies "if applicable" (1.2.2.9.2). There are alot of notes attached to the section on process studies.

In section 1.2.2.9.1 it is set forth more clearly that in that it says we shall determine the level on "initial" process capability. It gives us some different options, but people can read those on their own.

I real world practice we always have a control chart for all special characteristics beginning with PPAP and generally as the process shows ongoing capability and stability we reduce the frequency of the checks, with customer agreement.

ASD...

A

AllenLee

Thank you all for your inputs.

But does it mean that we just conduct initial capability study for all SC during the APQP stage; at mass production stage, maybe SPC control chart and Cpk calculation are not required to all SC.

Am i right?

Rgds!

------------------
Allen Lee

A

AJLenarz

Originally posted by AllenLee:
maybe SPC control chart and Cpk calculation are not required to all SC.

Am i right?
Ultimately it is what you and your customer agree upon. But by the definition of QS9000, you are to maintain and monitor process capability as approved via PPAP. This includes an "appropriate reaction plan" if the process becomes "unstable or non-capable". (4.9.2)

The question I ask is “how can you monitor process capability or process stability if you don't do some form of SPC”on these special characteristics?

A

AllenLee

Thanks you AJLenarz.

My meaning is that we don't want to control the SC using control chart e.g.: X-bar & R chart. Because we have very high Cpk about 5, so i want to cancel X-bar & R chart control for this SC.

Can it be accepable?

Rgds!

------------------
Allen Lee

A

AJLenarz

Allen Lee –

With out knowing your specifics and relations with your customer, the safest advise here is: consult with your customer and see what they have to say. The odds are if you have a capability of 5, they are content with the quality of that characteristic. They may consent to the elimination of monitoring of that characteristic.

QS does state in 4.9.2 “When processes and/or product indicate a high degree of capability (e.g. Cpk/Ppk >= 3), the supplier may revise the Control Plan, as appropriate (see PPAP and Section II).

I would question the elimination of monitoring of any critical or special characteristic. In your situation I would recommend reducing the frequency. If you are testing hourly, consider once a day or even weekly.

Again, in my opinion, the key is to be up front with your customer. Make the changes with them in agreement.

I hope this helps. Any other opinions?

A

Al Dyer

For those slaves to G.M. you might want to review the GP-12 procedure in the GM procedure folder in the FTP site of the forum.

GP-12.doc

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 06 August 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Special Characteristics: SPC required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Is SPC Required for all SC's (Special Characteristics) on Drawing (Print)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
M Is SPC required for Production if a Customer does not ask for it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
O Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) always required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
bobdoering Gage Resolution Required for SPC! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
RoxaneB Operations Management SPC Homework - Assistance Required, Please! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
P SPC Software Validation Required by our Registrar - How do we do this? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
L SPC: Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Electric terminal crimping machines - Is SPC appropriate for this process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
bobdoering Handy training tip for SPC - the Check Engine Light Analogy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
QMMike SPC Software for MAC computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc SPC based Dashboards - By Steve Prevette (November 2017) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
H SPC Work Instructions (WI) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
E SPC for Dummies - The correct meaning of all the graphs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Recommendations on SPC Software or Excel SPC add-in(s) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
A Not all characteristics follow a Normal Distribution - How do you do SPC Chart Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T SPC in Insurance Back Office Operations Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C SPC for Particulate Alert/Action Levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Q Mixed data collection (SPC) for different mold cavities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How to Start SPC from the ground up! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
I SPC on Cyclic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R Quality Management & SPC Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S How to Start SPC in a Shaft Grinding Section Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A I-MR SPC used for Inspection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
E SPC data from multiple Excel files Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Where to Get SPC Training to Measure our Processes? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
P SPC Short Run Advice of a Stamping Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3