Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Is the following flow for Training Needs Analysis correct?

theva

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Greetings......:cool:

The flow of TNA is,

1st - survey form will be issued to the staff
2nd - the staff will select the course/training which they would like to attend
3rd - return the form to dept manager for re-evaluation and approval
4th - submit to HR

I need some guidance on the above flow, is the flow correct or any special clause specified in ISO

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: Training Need Analysis

What are you trying to accomplish with this? If you're trying to promote continual professional development, it may be good. If you're trying to ensure basic employee competence, probably not.

Since people don't know what they don't know, if the employees pick what training they want to attend it may not be what they really need to be competent. Someone with in-depth knowledge of the process should decide what's really necessary.

I presume you're talking about ISO 9001? If so, the relevant clause is 6.2. As stated in 6.2.2a, the key is that the organization needs to define the competencies (including training) needed for each position/employee. The training is then provided (6.2.2b), and the employee's competence is evaluated (6.2.2c) to ensure that the training was effective. Lastly, records are required to maintained (6.2.2e).

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions

Theva; I have some experience with this issue so perhaps I may be able to help. I’m not sure which standard you’re working to here or the nature of your business and how your processes work but my experience from 5 years of maintaining training records, has taught me that:

· An annual training plan is unlikely to be implemented as planned because management are unlikely to commit to providing all training identified in the training plan despite approving the plan, limitations on the availability of desired training, interruptions to product realisation schedules, inability to budget that far ahead and other similar reasons.
· Most training needs are identified at various team or management meetings, one-to-one interactions and in our business, a project based business, customer requirements. Pitch your training procedure in this direction as a source of training needs identification and away from an annual training plan.

My experience has been that external auditors are generally happy with evidence of training being maintained effectively and summaries of competences expressed in a spreadsheet. (Sometimes this summary is what people mean when they talk about a training plan.)

A Training Needs Analysis and an annual training plan is a great in theory but in practical terms it’s all about evidence of training and availability of competences for maintenance purposes.
If you have a particular need to have a training plan; try to restrict it to a ‘quarterly look ahead’ type plan.

As we have learned on the cove having a list of records to be kept can be a trap, having an annual training plan can also be a trap for the same reasons. I.e “show me evidence that this identified training has been provided.”

theva

Involved In Discussions

What are you trying to accomplish with this? If you're trying to promote continual professional development, it may be good. If you're trying to ensure basic employee competence, probably not.

Since people don't know what they don't know, if the employees pick what training they want to attend it may not be what they really need to be competent. Someone with in-depth knowledge of the process should decide what's really necessary.

I presume you're talking about ISO 9001? If so, the relevant clause is 6.2. As stated in 6.2.2a, the key is that the organization needs to define the competencies (including training) needed for each position/employee. The training is then provided (6.2.2b), and the employee's competence is evaluated (6.2.2c) to ensure that the training was effective. Lastly, records are required to maintained (6.2.2e).
Dear Howste,

We're trying to emphasis on employee competency and thus its not so practical if we let the staff/employee to select the course as their wish....anyhow our customer wants the sequence which I mentioned earlier.

theva

Involved In Discussions

Theva; I have some experience with this issue so perhaps I may be able to help. I’m not sure which standard you’re working to here or the nature of your business and how your processes work but my experience from 5 years of maintaining training records, has taught me that:

· An annual training plan is unlikely to be implemented as planned because management are unlikely to commit to providing all training identified in the training plan despite approving the plan, limitations on the availability of desired training, interruptions to product realisation schedules, inability to budget that far ahead and other similar reasons.
· Most training needs are identified at various team or management meetings, one-to-one interactions and in our business, a project based business, customer requirements. Pitch your training procedure in this direction as a source of training needs identification and away from an annual training plan.

My experience has been that external auditors are generally happy with evidence of training being maintained effectively and summaries of competences expressed in a spreadsheet. (Sometimes this summary is what people mean when they talk about a training plan.)

A Training Needs Analysis and an annual training plan is a great in theory but in practical terms it’s all about evidence of training and availability of competences for maintenance purposes.
If you have a particular need to have a training plan; try to restrict it to a ‘quarterly look ahead’ type plan.

As we have learned on the cove having a list of records to be kept can be a trap, having an annual training plan can also be a trap for the same reasons. I.e “show me evidence that this identified training has been provided.”
Hi kgot,

Appreciate well on the explainations.....do you have a sample of annual training plan and training competency/summary.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

Dear Howste,

We're trying to emphasis on employee competency and thus its not so practical if we let the staff/employee to select the course as their wish....anyhow our customer wants the sequence which I mentioned earlier.
I'm curious why a customer would be specific about how a training needs analysis should be performed. Did they state this verbally, or is their "wish" contractual?

Top Bottom