Is the following flow for Training Needs Analysis correct?

theva

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Greetings......:cool:

The flow of TNA is,

1st - survey form will be issued to the staff
2nd - the staff will select the course/training which they would like to attend
3rd - return the form to dept manager for re-evaluation and approval
4th - submit to HR

I need some guidance on the above flow, is the flow correct or any special clause specified in ISO

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: Training Need Analysis

What are you trying to accomplish with this? If you're trying to promote continual professional development, it may be good. If you're trying to ensure basic employee competence, probably not.

Since people don't know what they don't know, if the employees pick what training they want to attend it may not be what they really need to be competent. Someone with in-depth knowledge of the process should decide what's really necessary.

I presume you're talking about ISO 9001? If so, the relevant clause is 6.2. As stated in 6.2.2a, the key is that the organization needs to define the competencies (including training) needed for each position/employee. The training is then provided (6.2.2b), and the employee's competence is evaluated (6.2.2c) to ensure that the training was effective. Lastly, records are required to maintained (6.2.2e).

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions

Theva; I have some experience with this issue so perhaps I may be able to help. I’m not sure which standard you’re working to here or the nature of your business and how your processes work but my experience from 5 years of maintaining training records, has taught me that:

· An annual training plan is unlikely to be implemented as planned because management are unlikely to commit to providing all training identified in the training plan despite approving the plan, limitations on the availability of desired training, interruptions to product realisation schedules, inability to budget that far ahead and other similar reasons.
· Most training needs are identified at various team or management meetings, one-to-one interactions and in our business, a project based business, customer requirements. Pitch your training procedure in this direction as a source of training needs identification and away from an annual training plan.

My experience has been that external auditors are generally happy with evidence of training being maintained effectively and summaries of competences expressed in a spreadsheet. (Sometimes this summary is what people mean when they talk about a training plan.)

A Training Needs Analysis and an annual training plan is a great in theory but in practical terms it’s all about evidence of training and availability of competences for maintenance purposes.
If you have a particular need to have a training plan; try to restrict it to a ‘quarterly look ahead’ type plan.

As we have learned on the cove having a list of records to be kept can be a trap, having an annual training plan can also be a trap for the same reasons. I.e “show me evidence that this identified training has been provided.”

theva

Involved In Discussions

What are you trying to accomplish with this? If you're trying to promote continual professional development, it may be good. If you're trying to ensure basic employee competence, probably not.

Since people don't know what they don't know, if the employees pick what training they want to attend it may not be what they really need to be competent. Someone with in-depth knowledge of the process should decide what's really necessary.

I presume you're talking about ISO 9001? If so, the relevant clause is 6.2. As stated in 6.2.2a, the key is that the organization needs to define the competencies (including training) needed for each position/employee. The training is then provided (6.2.2b), and the employee's competence is evaluated (6.2.2c) to ensure that the training was effective. Lastly, records are required to maintained (6.2.2e).
Dear Howste,

We're trying to emphasis on employee competency and thus its not so practical if we let the staff/employee to select the course as their wish....anyhow our customer wants the sequence which I mentioned earlier.

theva

Involved In Discussions

Theva; I have some experience with this issue so perhaps I may be able to help. I’m not sure which standard you’re working to here or the nature of your business and how your processes work but my experience from 5 years of maintaining training records, has taught me that:

· An annual training plan is unlikely to be implemented as planned because management are unlikely to commit to providing all training identified in the training plan despite approving the plan, limitations on the availability of desired training, interruptions to product realisation schedules, inability to budget that far ahead and other similar reasons.
· Most training needs are identified at various team or management meetings, one-to-one interactions and in our business, a project based business, customer requirements. Pitch your training procedure in this direction as a source of training needs identification and away from an annual training plan.

My experience has been that external auditors are generally happy with evidence of training being maintained effectively and summaries of competences expressed in a spreadsheet. (Sometimes this summary is what people mean when they talk about a training plan.)

A Training Needs Analysis and an annual training plan is a great in theory but in practical terms it’s all about evidence of training and availability of competences for maintenance purposes.
If you have a particular need to have a training plan; try to restrict it to a ‘quarterly look ahead’ type plan.

As we have learned on the cove having a list of records to be kept can be a trap, having an annual training plan can also be a trap for the same reasons. I.e “show me evidence that this identified training has been provided.”
Hi kgot,

Appreciate well on the explainations.....do you have a sample of annual training plan and training competency/summary.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

Dear Howste,

We're trying to emphasis on employee competency and thus its not so practical if we let the staff/employee to select the course as their wish....anyhow our customer wants the sequence which I mentioned earlier.
I'm curious why a customer would be specific about how a training needs analysis should be performed. Did they state this verbally, or is their "wish" contractual?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
M Informational The USFDA Continues to Remind Facilities of the Importance of Following Duodenoscope Reprocessing Instructions: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Brexit - Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration laid before Parliament following political agreement. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Nonconformance on training - Not following own processes (IATF 16949) Internal Auditing 14
P Is the next revision of ISO 15378 following the High Level Structure? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Following Order of Work Instructions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
M CAPA due to Consumer not following Maintenance Instructions... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Crimpshrine13 ISO/TS 16949 CBs & Auditors not following up on the schedules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 43
R Which of the following indicators is important for Operations - Ppk, Cpk, or Cpm? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
T What to do when Employees are not following Instructions Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 65
F ANSI ASQ Z1.4 - Is the following process acceptable? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R QA Manager and Disciplining Employees for not following Processes Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 28
I Medical Device Registration details for the following Countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Sampling Inspection at QA - Inputs on the following sampling plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
N My FDA auditor asked the following: Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
Q How to determine the average baseline for the following data in SPC Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M 7.6.2 Revisions following Engineering Changes - What is the right meaning? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Software gives visual representation of who?s following you online After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Ronen E European Commission calls for action following PIP's Breast Implant Saga EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Employee not following Purchasing Process Other Medical Device Related Standards 27
Marc US east coast in chaos following rare October snowstorm - 2011 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
L Consultant not following Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
Q Can I use Regression Analysis in the following scenario Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
quality1 Supplier Disqualification - High Rejects and not following established Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Change Order Process - Stake holders not following through - Suggestions wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) - People Not Following Work Process (WPs) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Fitted Splined Connections following DIN 5480 - Inspection Problems Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
eternal_atlas Not following the Procedures is a Nonconformance? Sales department General Auditing Discussions 61
H Meeting following an interview, what should I expect? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
T Labeling Control and trouble with labelers not following procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Ajit Basrur Teva recalls drug following Jackson death probe Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A Audit NC (nonconformance) for not following guidelines on calibration! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Consequences of Shipping product with label not following CE rules EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Corrective Action - CAPA - Root Cause - Not following the training procedure! Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 13
S Why people not following SPC charts regularly Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
G Not sequentially following steps in a work instruction Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 85
Q Work Environment - Which of the following is to be addressed as nonconformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Z How to Establish Quality Manual Not Following the Structure of the Standard? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
D How do we interpret the following XmR Trend Chart data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
L Corrective action following a wrong answer of the auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
T In the following statement, what does "Z" stand for? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Failure where the Root Cause was the Material Handler Not Following Procedure Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 20
Q Personnel Not Following Procedures - How do you write up an audit finding? Internal Auditing 43
A Non-conformance logged following a TS16949 Stage 2 audit - APQP Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S New PPAP on Sale - Includes the following changes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2