Is there a point in your career where ASQ certs become meaningless?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I used to hold CQA, CQE, CQM (now known as CMQ/OE) but for the last 10 years or so have only maintained CMQ/OQ.
I'm at the point of re-registering that one and, while I have a way more points than I need in training, I only sent on enough to make the points needed in the journal. I mean, just in the last year I did at least 80 hrs in various training sessions.
But I'm getting a hassle from the registration chair nit picking everything I sent in to the point where I'm about to say "hell with it" and stop responding to him.
I never had a problem in the past and I've re-registered a bunch of times.

Should I bother? Does it really matter? I've been at this a long time and I don't know if I'm getting any value at all out of this cert. I think they had more impact in job hunting or looking for promotion when I was younger.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hard to say. I did limit myself to one certification (CQE) and keep it going if just because it's easier and cheaper to keep renewing it rather than dropping it and then having to take the exam again if for some reason I needed it.

I have had no problems with registration chairs over the years, but keep in mind you do have the option of sending your stuff directly to HQ.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
I used to hold CQA, CQE, CQM (now known as CMQ/OE) but for the last 10 years or so have only maintained CMQ/OQ.
I'm at the point of re-registering that one and, while I have a way more points than I need in training, I only sent on enough to make the points needed in the journal. I mean, just in the last year I did at least 80 hrs in various training sessions.
But I'm getting a hassle from the registration chair nit picking everything I sent in to the point where I'm about to say "hell with it" and stop responding to him.

Should I bother? Does it really matter? I've been at this a long time and I don't know if I'm getting any value at all out of this cert. I think they had more impact in job hunting or looking for promotion when I was younger.
I stopped at one. I saw no benefit in maintaining multiple certs.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I know a few people who have EVERY cert listed by ASQ. For one or two, it was an ego thing to get them all, but the others are spending a lot of their time as instructors in the various quality disciplines and the certs are necessary to get the paying gigs. Most employers today do not give special consideration to the initials after a candidate's or current employee's name - they are more interested in actual on-the-job successes. This situation is a lot different than it was twenty or thirty years ago when an ASQ membership carried some prestige.

I agree with Steve that once a practitioner achieves a certification, he/she should keep it current by keeping an accurate log of the qualifying activities necessary to satisfy ASQ HQ.

I've never encountered a registration chair who was a Kwality Kop who looked for reasons to deny credit. If a registration chair is playing "gotcha" with most others in a Section, he soon will be "Ex-chair." (there is always a possibility of a personal vendetta against an individual by such a chair :()

Over the years of my membership, each registration chair in the Sections I was in made a point to offer print logs or software to keep track of recertification credits, emphasizing the documentation needed to qualify as a credit and would remind members at EVERY meeting of opportunities to earn credits outside of their own jobs. If the registration chair in your section isn't similarly proactive, he just may need some help to become more effective in the role.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
My thoughts ...
Have it .... Keep it
Deal with this chair (ignorant chair) without getting yourself disturbed and patiently. You have bigger things to keep your focus.
but keep in mind you do have the option of sending your stuff directly to HQ.
A good option to mark a copy I suppose ...
Again.. Have it, Keep it. You are more than its worth.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I had a CQE for many years, but it never made a difference in pay or opportunities. As a hiring manager, I never made a decision based upon it. I suppose if everything else had been equal, it might have made a difference, but that scenario never arose.

On the other hand, I have known several people with a CQE that didn't have a lick of common sense and were mediocre quality engineers.

G

Geoff Withnell

I have (let me think a moment) six ASQ certifications, and three other certifications. Does my employer care? Not directly. However, I work in government consulting. Very often, the people creating the RFPs or evaluating the responses, will not realize how much overlap there is between the various BOKs. Nor will they necessarily know about more than one particular cert. If they ask for a Six Sigma Black Belt , then the SSBB is the only cert that matters, even if any good CQE will have the necessary skills. So I maintain them all, and use the one(s) that seem to apply at the moment. And just as a point of reference, I am a fairly senior guy, usually a team lead, or the senior SME on a contract.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
I hold seven, although two or three have lapsed, I dont think that matters much, although I did get my job directly based on the fact I had the certs in the field they were looking for. For me the recurring ones are too expensive to maintain. I plan on two more in the future, and that will be it. Some , like SSBB do seem to help get a foot in the door where SS is stated in the job qualifications, other more general ones do not help much.

L

little_prince

I have (let me think a moment) six ASQ certifications, and three other certifications. Does my employer care? Not directly. However, I work in government consulting. Very often, the people creating the RFPs or evaluating the responses, will not realize how much overlap there is between the various BOKs. Nor will they necessarily know about more than one particular cert. If they ask for a Six Sigma Black Belt , then the SSBB is the only cert that matters, even if any good CQE will have the necessary skills. So I maintain them all, and use the one(s) that seem to apply at the moment. And just as a point of reference, I am a fairly senior guy, usually a team lead, or the senior SME on a contract.
my thoughts are that, once past a certain point, its pretty much useless.

for disicplines like lean six sigma, most MNCs have their own certifiying dept and MBBs. even with a ASQ black belt, they might still require you to recourse and re certify.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MDD_QNA Accessory or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
Q Stock Reorder point calculation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Recurring Natural Disasters in Contingency Plans - What's the point? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S 510(K) change analysis - At what point should a 510(K) change analysis be performed? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Meaning of Annex II, excluding point Clause 4 conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
F Medical Device HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Linear Measurement - Radius Center or Intersection Point? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C FMEA Starting point FMEA and Control Plans 7
T Single Point Contact / DoC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
somashekar Uptodate.com: A clinical decision support resource - Point-of-care decisions Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
D Bubble Point Testing of Syringe Filters Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
M Measuring the True Position of a Cylinder's Pierce Point Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
C Is there a standard for testing equipment at a single point? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
U Accelerated Aging for Shelf Life - Beginning Point Difference CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Contract Manufacturer 510K Starting Point 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
Z One Point Calibration of Hygrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Depth Gage Spindle moved when changing Contact Point Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
M Fixed Point Temperature Cells Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Single-Point Scale Calibration - Very Large Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Do SOPs contained within the QSM require a "Point of Use" and/or "File In" footnote? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
drgnrider Documents: Reference Documents & Point of Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T At what point is a Supplier no longer a Supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
D Showing the Response Surface Experimental Point in MiniTab Using Minitab Software 5
P Critical Limits for Air Blower as CCP (Critical Control Point) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
E Center Point Residuals on a Factorial Design using Minitab Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Ronen E TGA may approve rapid HIV test, but only as PoCT (Point of Care Tests) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
W Minitab I-MR Graph - How to delete a single data point from I-MR chart Using Minitab Software 2
M At what point should defective product be rejected? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
JodiB What point does the Accreditation begin in the process? ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Request for Daily Talking Point and Meeting Ideas Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
Q How Demings Point 9 (of his 14 points) is related to the FDA QSR Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Is "0" an Acceptable Calibration Point? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S Dew Point Meter: DPL4000 - help needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Customer is requiring an "Inspection Point Program" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C What is your point for the RoHS Control in Plastic Parts with Plating? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
N Laboratory that is able to Calibrate Dew Point Meter up to 60?Cdp - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Change Point & Process Change - Differences Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
B Individuals 2 Point Moving Range Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
C PPAP Submission - Point in Time Record or Live Document APQP and PPAP 4
G What may be the best way to determine if single point in subgroup is out of control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Must every CCP (Critical Control Point) have a (documented) procedure? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
WCHorn Deming's Eleventh Point and AS9101D are Incompatible Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 19
R Are there any standards for Point-of-Care (POC) Diagnostic Devices? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Managing New and Revised Electronic Documents (Procedures) - Share Point Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Gage R&R for an On-Line Device - Continuous Monitoring Dew Point Sensor in a Furnace Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K General HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) Questions Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 8
G Are One-Point ISO 17025 Equipment Calibrations OK ISO 17025 related Discussions 12