SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Is there a Process Equivalent to NASA Special NDI

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen

I have a quandry with non-destructive testing on flight critical parts.
During our product development phase several years ago, the fracture mechanics of the part were based on the flaw sizes detectable using the NASA Special NDI process. Our supplier had the relevant NASA certification and there was no problem. Normal penetrant NDI was not sensitive enough.
BUT, now the shuttle programme has come to an end, our supplier will not be re-certified by NASA.

Does anyone know if there is a process equivalent to the NASA Special NDI capable of detecting flaws of a certain size?

The other "challenge" is that the parts are 1 metre diameter and 1.5 metres long in titanium......

Thank you
Paul

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: NASA Special NDI

Machrk
Thank you for the comment. Yes, eddy current is being considered as an alternative. Whatever happens it's going to be a long process.
I'll try to find the minimum flaw size we need to find.
Regards
Paul

M

machrk

:)I have had Eddy test current techniques done for my investigations to pick up stress raisers/cracks even as far back as 1987 that were well under 1mm at leading edge of turbine blades & hence potential fatigue crack initiation sites - VIP to have reference blocks with pre-set flaw sizes and can be used on non magnetic materials eg titanium & stainless steel

Hi
I've just had it confirmed by our materials guy, the size of the defect to be found is .635mm (.025").
So, will Eddy Current test find this defect?
Regards
Paul

S

SvanRaay

I am not completely understanding the issue.

You stated that normal NDI penetrant will not find the surface discontinuity. What are you using (type, method, class)? What is the sensitivity....

I am always against looking for something new when you have something that is working. I would try to get with the supplier and see what is above and beyond the standard ASTM E 1417 requirements. Incorporate these additional requirements into one of your own specifications, and give approval to your current supplier to that procedure.

Antoher suggestion would be to get with the people who supply penetrant materials. maybe they have a super sensitive penetrant (or penetrant system) that may help you.

Thanks for your reply SvanRay
The process will find defect size as used in the fracture analysis, but the product specification calls NASA Special NDI. What I'm looking for is an equivalent approval or approval body. This is the problem, with the NASA slowing the space programme, our supplier will not get re-approved by NASA.
I like you reference to ASTM E 1417, I'll ask the supplier how it compares.
Regards
Paul

An update, at last
The supplier has now replied, "ASTM E 1417 is the standard Dye Penetrant inspection, NASA requires additional inspections after 12 hours covered with developer spray and therefore smaller defects shall be detectable."
So, we are now in discussions with the European Space Agancy (ESA) to find a solution.
My preferred answer is to have a supplier "in house" procedure, the same as or better then NASA special NDI, and get it approved by a CAB.
Regards
Paul

Well, a conclusion has been reached.
We will be creating our own standard, use specially manufactured test pieces for the flaw sizes to be identified. We then get ESA agreement and approval and then we should be able to re-approve our suppliers. It's going to take a little while, but, it needs to be done!
Cheers
Paul

A further update ~
We now have a plan!
Our sister company has a NASA approved test protocol.
We have also found a company in the USA that will provide certification for NASA special level NDI.
1) Use the US company for re-certification soon.
2) Seek accepteance and approval of the sister companies protocol.
3) Re-certify during 2013 using this procedure.
Problem solved (depending on the success of #1)!
Regards
Paul

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Rules of process outsourcing in China China Medical Device Regulations 0
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 11
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
Z IA Construction Procurement Process Internal Auditing 3
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
N Help with understanding Process Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M VDA 6.3 – Workshop for Certified Process Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
C Process Consistency Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD? APQP and PPAP 5
K Business Process Flowchart Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
J License renewal process in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Definition Outsourced process - Clear definition - 13485 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S IS0 13485 process flows ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Revalidation of Process Equipment for Equipment Transfered to New Facility. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
S In process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Brexit 100% inspection during in process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Q Process Matrix_Audit Matrix Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Q Process description for outsourced processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Process matrix examples of ISO 9001 & 14001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A When someone refuses to follow a process.... Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
E Software maintenance Process Software maintenance Process to IEC 6204? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 f - "Implement a returns process....." AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
normhowe "The Problem with Quality Management: Process orientation, controllability and zero-defect processes as modern myths" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Judy Abbott General temperature used in the blasting process and laser process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A API Monogram audit review process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Process mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
R MDEL Process Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
R Changes vs CMO - How can we simplify this process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Ethics Committee Review Process for IVD Products EU Medical Device Regulations 2
V Laser Welding Process - Impact on Electrical Properties Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Q Process: Knowledge Section 7.1.6 of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Documented Information in Internal Audits Process (9.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4