Is there a proper protocol to follow for Self Certification?

F

francisjb

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Quality game but through courses and constant reading I am learning very quickly. I do have my frist question for the Forum. My superior had asked me to research the possibilty of becoming Self Certified. I can not seem to find any information on this. In fact, I had never heard of it until now. Is there a proper protocal to follow and if so who issues the certification?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Francis

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Self Certification???

Welcome to The Cove Francis! :bigwave:

Are you talking about professional certification or registration to ISO?

If you're referring to professional certification, what is your job?

If you mean registration to ISO, what industry are you working in?

F

francisjb

Thanks for the welcome Jennifer! :D

Well... the goal is to become ISO certified but for the time being he would like us to shoot for a "Self Certification". I informed him I would research it as I had no idea what he was talking about.

My job is Quality Assurance Manager and I am currently in the Filtration field.

C

Craig H.

Self certification certainly is not unheard of. You can use internal auditors to perform the check, but an even better approach, IMO, would be to get a voulnteer from outside the company to audit you to ISO 9001. Maybe your local ASQ section would be a resource?

If you get a clean audit you can say that you are self-certified. It likely won't carry as much weight as a real third party certification, though.

The main thing, though is to use a template to inprove and maintain your processes. ISO 9001 can work, as can the National and State Quality Award criteria.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

I knew of a calibration facility that declared themselves "compliant" without claiming certification to the standard. This meant they were "certifying" they had all the controls in place, but did not go so far as to have the registrar come out because the costs were greater than they wanted to bear at that time.

Maybe that is what your boss meant.

F

fuzzy

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Quality game but through courses and constant reading I am learning very quickly. I do have my frist question for the Forum. My superior had asked me to research the possibilty of becoming Self Certified. I can not seem to find any information on this. In fact, I had never heard of it until now. Is there a proper protocal to follow and if so who issues the certification?

Thanks,
Francis
Welcome to the Cove from a fellow Granite-stater...:tg: you wouldn't happen to work in Ossipee would you??? The key to your question is the "self" part and how far your company would want to go to lend some legitimacy to any self-certification / compliance claims. The 2nd party audit is a good idea to lend some credibility; I'm sure there are others. If your company does self-certification up right, it seems to me like doing all the work without the payoff; buy the car but don't drive it anywhere!:2cents:

R

ralphsulser

I knew of a calibration facility that declared themselves "compliant" without claiming certification to the standard. This meant they were "certifying" they had all the controls in place, but did not go so far as to have the registrar come out because the costs were greater than they wanted to bear at that time.

Maybe that is what your boss meant.

This is not unusual if your customers do not require 3rd party registration by an approved certification body registrar.
You can declare your system as "ISO9001:2000 Compliant", but you need to be able to back it up with objective evidence.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

Try the following threads:

Certified to ISG 9000 - A 'Self Certification' Scheme

If ANSI can self-declare, why not you?

And also check the bottom part of my post

Good for you. From what you describe, you have a good, solid process in place. You might want to consider your suppliers to become educated in the Self Declaration Guidance issued by ISO. Check http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2004/Ref939.html

Ref.: 939
11 November 2004

Suppliers' declarations of conformity given added weight by new ISO/IEC standard

A new ISO/IEC standard defines requirements for suppliers (including manufacturers) to meet when they make formal claims that products, services, systems, processes or materials conform to relevant standards, regulations or other specifications.

Claims that meet the requirements of ISO/IEC 17050 are expected to inspire greater confidence among governments, regulatory authorities, consumers and end users than claims without such backing. This is because the standard represents an international consensus on good practice and establishes a benchmark that can be applied in all business sectors and in all countries.

ISO/IEC 17050 offers a framework for what is designated technically as a "supplier's declaration of conformity (SDoC)". An SDoC is one of the ways in which a supplier may seek to demonstrate conformity. This might be required, for example, by health, safety or environmental regulations - or is desirable because conformity gives potential purchasers greater confidence.

Other ways are by inviting the customer to verify conformity, or by engaging a specialized independent body, such as a testing laboratory or inspection service, to issue a certificate of conformity (e.g. product certification). An SDoC is less time-consuming than either of these options, which means that products can be developed and brought to market faster. It is also cheaper and the economies made by the supplier can be passed on to the customer.

The publication of ISO/IEC 17050 puts at the disposal of suppliers and manufacturers an SDoC methodology with greater transparency, added rigour and globally harmonized practice - which is likely to increase the use of this option in world trade. While streamlining the conformity assessment process, it does not remove the obligation of suppliers and manufacturers to conform to relevant regulations and other legal requirements - which is likely to encourage its acceptance by authorities, as well as the confidence of customers.

The new standard is in two parts. Part 1 specifies the general requirements for an SDoC. Its intent is to increase the value of an SDoC by establishing a clearly understandable International Standard for this conformity assessment option, and also to encourage its use by making the SDoC more acceptable to government and regulatory institutions. Part 1 includes a sample SDoC.

Part 2 is on supporting documentation to substantiate an SDoC, for example, results of tests carried out by the supplier or an independent body in order to meet legal requirements. Again, the intent is to encourage acceptance of an SDoC by customers and authorities.

ISO/IEC 17050 was developed by Working Group (WG) 24 of ISO/CASCO, Committee on conformity assessment. WG 24 Convenor, Joel Urman, comments: "The cost and time savings that result from SDoC unquestionably benefit suppliers of products, processes, services and systems. SDoC also significantly benefits their customers and all those who use and need their offerings."

ISO/IEC 17050-1:2004, Conformity assessment - Supplier's declaration of conformity - Part 1: General requirements, costs 47 Swiss francs. ISO/IEC 17050-2:2004, Conformity assessment - Supplier's declaration of conformity - Part 2: Supporting documentation, costs 34 Swiss francs. Both are available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details) and from ISO Central Secretariat.

F

francisjb

Re: Self Certification - Is there a proper protocal to follow?

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. This helps immensely!! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Proper way to develop LCL when only given a lower spec limit Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Proper terms for describing Hardness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Proper Thickness Gauge for Foam/Felt and Soft Materials General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Proper Tool to Measure Wall Thickness (ISO 3611 - Micrometers) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
X Proper Document Control Requests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S Proper Record/Document Manipulation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Proper gauging of tight tolerance (reamed) holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
kedarg6500 Selection of proper modifying agent for Aluminium Silicon Alloy Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Proper Amount of Data Points for Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
K Proper YTD PPM Supplier Calculation Six Sigma 3
S Proper FDA Classification for a DICOM Viewer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 29
E Measuring Parts without Proper Tools - Measurement Device Resolution Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
J Proper Method of Measuring Hex Socket Heads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Getting the proper information from the supplier - Returning Nonconforming Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
G What is the proper Thanks Giving turkey sampling size? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
B How to Determine the Proper Solder Class Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S What is the proper flow to feedback the defective found during QA sampling check? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
M Proper Format for a Manufacturing Route Sheet Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K Putting a regulated device on the market without the proper ISO Certs and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Proper Personnel Ratio - Quality to Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M ISO14001 nonconformance - no proper treatment of wastewater prior to discharge ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
A What is the proper definition for Class 1 & 2 design changes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
C Proper GD&T for spindle & housing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Proper term for 'Easy Identification'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M How to implement a proper Calibration System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B True Position without tertiary datum? Establishing a proper rotation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
J Proper way to calibrate a check fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Proper Poundage for Checking XX Tolerance Plain Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Gert Sorensen Labeling Responsibility - Manufacturer vs. Repacker? Proper Component Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Procedure for proper use and protection of Registration and Accreditation Marks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
C What is the proper method for cleaning dial calipers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Proper use of the Blueing process when inspecting the taper of bushings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Proper use of gauge pins - Inspecting thru holes of plastic parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
I What is the proper date to use as effective date? Old 'procedures', New documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Rockwell vs. Vickers vs. Knoop - Does Thickness Determine the Proper Test? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M What is the proper way to use a GO NO/GO guage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Preventive and Corrective Action Mapping - Proper Sequencing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Registered or Certified - What is the proper terminology? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 17
K PQ validation qualification - Asked to write a PQ protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D How to create IQ, OQ, PQ protocol for existing equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
V Protocol, report or SOP for threshold analysis? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 0
g_ehs Definition Protocol - for Assertions within Genetic Variant Databases Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
E Labware cleaning validation protocol example Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J EU countries and steam sterilisation protocol EU Medical Device Regulations 0