Is there a set standard on how to handle the version number of documents?

C

Catrina

Document Versioning

:bigwave: CEMIs there a set standard on how to handle the version number of documents? For example, when documents are in the draft stages, we use 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc. to denote the document version is currently in the draft stage. After approval, the versioning starts at 1.0 and increases in .5 increments.

So, a document can have versions 0.1, 0.2, 0.3. Then it gets approved. Now it's version 1.0. The document undergoes another revision. It is revised and approved. Now the document version is 1.5.

I'm not sure if there is a "set in stone" method to this, but any feedback is welcomed.

CEM
:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Not that I am aware of.

As far as I know this is up to the company setting up the system.

We use a cover form for routing draft versions for approval so we don't use a numbering format at all for that.

good luck! Eileen

R

Rick Goodson

My experience also has also been that it is company set standard.

I have seen other systems that use a letter and number combination (ie A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, etc.) where the letter is a major revision and the numerical increase is for items not affecting the process. A change from B4 to B5 would indicate a spelling correction or a change to a form, but nothing that affected the base process.

Regards,

Rick

JodiB

Still plugging along
We use the system that Rick just described for our "drafts".

Once something is issued, it is Rev 0 and goes up 1,2,3, etc. no matter what kind of revision is made.

G

Graeme

I don't like inventing (or re-inventing) and then maintaining and remembering to use version numbering systems. :frust:

So, I just use the file save date of the document. The save date is hidden in the document anyway, so I just use the appropriate Word field to make it visible in the footer of the first page and let it go at that. Once the document is converted to a PDF file the displayed date is not going to change.

Everybody (including the registrar) seems to be happy with it, and it's one less thing I have to mess with.

Graeme

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
excellent idea

Graeme said:
So, I just use the file save date of the document. The save date is hidden in the document anyway, so I just use the appropriate Word field to make it visible in the footer of the first page and let it go at that. Once the document is converted to a PDF file the displayed date is not going to change.

Everybody (including the registrar) seems to be happy with it, and it's one less thing I have to mess with.

Graeme
Anybody else tried this method?

I like it.....very simple.

Graeme, one question...are you on a paperless system?

CarolX

Graeme said:
I don't like inventing (or re-inventing) and then maintaining and remembering to use version numbering systems. :frust:

Graeme
I have a client that also uses the same basic thing. It is also easy to confirm because all you have to do is go to the file directory and comare the document against the file information. You can also put a time field for drafts. It does work well (or at least it can).

J

James Gutherson

Yes this exactly what we use. Very easy. The difficult part is that we have a few spreadsheets that we use as well and it is much harder to get this information in to an excel footer. We just tend to go with a field that you have to update in these cases.

G

Graeme

the POWER of the SEARCH!

CarolX said:
Graeme, one question...are you on a paperless system?
CarolX
CarolX,

Wow -- just when my memory has turned to dust and become covered with cobwebs, someone searches The Cove and brings it all rushing back to life ...
cool.gif
You know, I had to go back to the original thread to see that it was I was talking about 18 months ago!

Anyway, to answer your question -- we are on as much of a paperless system as we can be within the bounds of economics and practicality. This is made possible because the the "staff" functions have desktop PC's and each technician has a laptop. However, the organization's internal network is totally isolated from the corporate network and the outside world. (The organization is an in-house electronics calibration lab.)

Things that are electronic:
  • The Quality Manual, Quality Policy, Vision, Goals
  • All QMS policies and procedures
  • All Excel sheets that are used as databases in the QMS
  • The organization's internal web site
  • New/revised calibration procedure documents
  • Calibration procedures that are part of the calibration ATE system
  • Documents (such as vendor's calibration certificates) that are scanned into the database
  • Documents, manuals and other reference material of external origin that was recieved in electronic form
Things that are paper:
  • Certain forms that have to be physically sent elsewhere, or have physical action taken. (Customer surveys, shipping manifests, receiving inspection forms and a few others.)
  • "Legacy" calibration procedures that the metrology engineer (me!) has not updated or revised yet
  • Reference items of external origin that are impractical or uneconomic to scan, such as service manuals for the equipment.
I probably missed a few in each category, but these are the main ones.

BTW (James G.), for Excel spreadsheets I put the current date in the footer. In cases where the spreadsheet is a database (which is a moving target because it changes) I also have one or two other date fields in the body. Every database sheet includes a statement that it is a single view of a dynamic database, and has the date of the view.

In some cases (such as the QP master list) I also put in the date the server was last updated. That is useful because then I can have an Excel formula to fill a field with the word "Updated!" if the file date is equal to or more recent than the last server update - which is a visual cue to the people when they look at that web page. (Yes, the spreadsheet gets saved as HTML and is on the web site, with hyperlinks to each document's PDF file.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
There is a Standard, available from American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Y14.35M - 1997 Revision of Engineering Drawings and Associated Documents

The Standard specifically addresses numbering systems for revisions. This Standard is equally applicable to any document, especially documents which are "controlled."

My point of view has always been, "Why reinvent the wheel if someone not only has done it, but keeps making improvements?"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E How to use the Standard Error and how to set the error limits? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Q Inquire TS 16949 standard - Clause 7.5.1.3 Verification of 'Job Set-Up' IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Is there a standard or generic set of PPAP documentation available? APQP and PPAP 4
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
G CE marking of MD and IVD set EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J How to Set Microbial Limits in Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
qualprod To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Set RH spec from dewpoint spec General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
N When to record values if a spec for a mfg process is set Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Marc Time Zone - Set your Time Zone Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
D As a newcomer to QMS, I really appreciate how ISO is set up. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C IATF 16949 Cl 8.5.1.3 - Verification of job set up IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D How to set equipment calibration/verification criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S GRR on ID with set of pin gauges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
G What to Check - Set Up vs. In Process Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
N The known set of all root causes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
G What degrees of freedom means in uncertainty budget and how do I set the value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
D What is the exact Temperature Coefficient Value to be set on a Conductivity Meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Training Employees about Quality - Philosophy / Mind set Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
renenatasha MDD Classification for Pressure Monitoring Set CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
U Are all manufacturers required to set up eMDR system? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Sean Kelley Gage Block Verification or buy a new set (cost aspect) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Implementing a set of bore gages at a machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S How to set up the Accupoint 2 ATP sanitation monitoring system Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
L How do I set a limits to cfu in an ISO class 7 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
4 Quality vs Production on CMM Set Up Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A What is the definition of Installation that requires Record Keeping vs Set-up 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G AS9120 - What should we be expecting once we set forth into becoming certified? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
C ISO 9001:2008 Audit Major Finding - Dial Calipers not set to zero ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A IEC 60601-2-24 Question: Free Flow Clamp on Set? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C Lowest Acceptable Grade for Master Gage Set Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
L How to set up a basic electronic test equipment calibration laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M AS9100C Document Control for Machine Set Up Work Instructions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Appropriate In-Process Monitoring Frequency for 2X per day Change Set-Up. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Insufflation Tubing & Filter Set Product Classification question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M New Calibration Laboratory Set Up Measurement Parameters and Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B How to set Cleanroom Alert and Action Limits as part of Microbiological Evaluation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
F How to set-up a Dual Company QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
R Can the same Biocompatibility Report for Infusion Set be used for its Components? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
insect warfare How is the Management Review structure of your company set up? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 5
AnaMariaVR2 Legal Flash: 8 Regulations set to impact the Pharma & Biotech Industry in 2013 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
F Receiving a new Gage Block Set with an old Certificate Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
L Gauge to test and verify a Set Square Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1