Is there a standard for testing equipment at a single point?

CLaurenceH

Starting to get Involved
Is there a standard that states that a single test point is acceptable for certain circumstances?

We have an auditor having concerns that we check some equipment to just a single test point. Such as Timers, some environmental monitoring systems and some ovens that are used at a single point.

If we don't find some kind of industry standard then we are going to have to set up some kind of range for all these items.

Just thought I would check in here.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Oven Calibration Range: How many points?

Is there a standard that states that a single test point is acceptable for certain circumstances?

We have an auditor having concerns that we check some equipment to just a single test point. Such as Timers, some environmental monitoring systems and some ovens that are used at a single point.

If we don't find some kind of industry standard then we are going to have to set up some kind of range for all these items.

Thanks
What's the spec? I'm guessing there's some kind of range... Did your auditor say anything other than a single point isn't much use? They are correct, but that's not really much help as a statement from them, is it?

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Oven Calibration Range: How many points?

Thanks
I do not know of a specification.

What is your range of use? If you have, say, an oven that is only used at 50?C and isn't ever changed from that test point, then a single point check is OK.

However, as a general rule, equipment needs to be verified across the use range.

Timers are a bit more involved, as you test the timers at a certain interval/accuracy stated (?5 sec/day).

If you can provide a little more information regarding your calibration test points, relative to how you use the equipment, that would help.

BradM

Staff member
Admin

Thanks
I moved the posts to where you can have your own thread to discuss the subject. :agree1:

Typically, 3 types of study would be performed to tell you more about the calibration needs: "Linearity", "bias" and "stability". It may not be all three studies are needed, but most would see that, for example, an over might take a while to get hot and stay there during the working shift (stability), the equipment may not read - as Brad is suggesting about the range/spec - in a linear manner. It might be that, depending on certain factors, bias may come into play, too. It's best to run a study, so you can show if a single point is all that's needed.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
An oven temperature controller should be checked electrically by resistance substitution (for RTD input) or voltage (for T/C) over it's range. The controlling probe used to sense temperature inside the oven should be checked using a meter to read resistance (RTD) or voltage (T/C) and some type of temperature bath/dry well.
Using a standard probe located near the sense probe, the oven can be checked for 1) systematic bias at the temperature of interest (how much to offset the setpoint by to get the temperature you really want), and 2) how well the oven can control that temperature (stability).

For a timer, NIST Special Publication 960-12 Stopwatch and Timer Calibrations, a recommended practice guide, might prove noteworthy.

For environmental, since temperature changes/swings are the norm, I would have those calibrated as any other MTE--across the specified range(s)

Last edited:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
An oven temperature controller should be checked electrically by resistance substitution (for RTD input) or voltage (for T/C) over it's range. The controlling probe used to sense temperature inside the oven should be checked using a meter to read resistance (RTD) or voltage (T/C) and some type of temperature bath/dry well.
Using a standard probe located near the sense probe, the oven can be checked for 1) systematic bias at the temperature of interest (how much to offset the setpoint by to get the temperature you really want), and 2) how well the oven can control that temperature (stability).

For a timer, NIST Special Publication 960-12 Stopwatch and Timer Calibrations, a recommended practice guide, might prove noteworthy.

For environmental, since temperature changes/swings are the norm, I would have those calibrated as any other MTE--across the specified range(s)

Agreed all the way around. :agree1:

A note about ovens...

So much depends on the initial qualification/intent of what the oven is going to do perform.
In addition to the good information above about an oven calibration, you also have to consider the uniformity inside, and how it relates to the temperature controller.

Personally (just Brad) I don't really like single point calibrations, as I don't think any one device is just used at one point. However, there are sometimes long-term stability studies in an oven at one temperature. When justified, I think it's OK to place a probe in the working zone and check the controller.

The best method is to perform uniformity studies and relate to the recording device on the oven; with the recording device calibrated. The acceptance of the oven run is then confirmed by the recording data.

Then the temprature controller almost becomes a reference only device.

I would also be interested to know if these instruments were qualified for single point use, and tagged/labeled as limited calibration; single use point calibration. If not (IMHO) the use of single point calibration is definitely something to look into.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Then the temprature controller almost becomes a reference only device.
With our small environmental chambers (2-5 cu. ft.) we use a working standard probe and thermometer readout for recording actual temp. The air inside is stirred to reduce gradients/increase uniformity, and the job of the temp controller is only to be a stable controller; we adjust the setpoint as required to achive the desired temp.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S CTS/CSE Waveforms Testing - Partial Recognition of IEC 60601-2-25 Standard by FDA IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Standard(s) for QC Testing of Assembled ICs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Is this QC Testing a requirement or a standard? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Is there a standard for HALT (High Accelerated Life Testing)? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
quality1 Standard Home Surge Protector Testing Requirements Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J Frequency of Re-Testing Working Standards (Secondary Reference Standard) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
N Industrial MRI Diagnostic System - Which IEC standard should I use when testing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Can anyone recommend appropriate standard for Reliability Testing of Cables Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
E Reference Standard for Shelf Life Testing of Packaging for Sterilized Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Finding an ADA (American Dental Association) Standard Testing Laboratory Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N Electrosurgical Testing - Is there a specific standard for Electrosurgical Testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
T X-ray's light testing - What is the standard to test the X-ray light brightness? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D UL / Safety Testing Oscillators - Is there an "Industry Standard"? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
S Valve Inspection and Testing - API Standard 598 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
T Relevant Standards for Product Standard, Testing, Specification Measurement, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T ETO Product Sterilisation Testing Standard Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H Where can I find a standard or tests for drug reservoir material testing? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Qualification Testing of New Products - Is there a MIL-STD or ANSI standard? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Marc The History and Rationale of the MIL-STD-810 testing standard Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
Marc Software Quality Assurance is More than Testing and IEEE Standard 12207 Software Quality Assurance 0
H Safety Lancets Manufacturer - What is the testing standard used for lancets? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
O In addition to the standard, what other ISO 13485 sources do people recommend? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
M IEC 60601-1 1988 - Device developed in 2012 with standard of 1988 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B Clause 5.1.12 of Technical Standard IEC 62304/A1 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Viable count Measurement ISO Standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
I When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Average and standard deviation of Cumulative Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B Standard for Dielectric Strength Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Harmonised RED Standard ETSI EN 440 - Which Version? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1