Is there a strong market out there for ISO13485 certification?

C

CJ951

Hi there,

This is my first post on the Cove!

I'm contemplating becoming an ISO 13485 auditor, and I'm curious if it's worth doing, and what the requirements are for becoming one. Is there a strong market out there (in the US especially) for ISO 13485 certification? Are the CBs active with this standard?

Thank you :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi there,

I'm contemplating becoming an ISO 13485 auditor, and I'm curious if it's worth doing, and what the requirements are for becoming one. Is there a strong market out there (in the US especially) for ISO 13485 certification? Are the CBs active with this standard?

It's going to depend a lot on what you are asking as "the market". For a start, not all CBs are accredited for ISO 13485, plus the industry is further segmented by those organizations seeking CMDAS or CE marking for product. Becoming an ISO 13485 auditor may not be as simple as you think. Here, in the USA (since you don't mention where you are located) medical device industries are (in my experience) geographically situated so, this may affect the availability of an audit job, especially since it's smaller companies coming to certification and they don't want to pay for travel...

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Hi there,

I am a CMDCAS, CE mark, ISO 13485 lead assessor with a leading certification body.

There seems to be a large demand for qualified auditors with CE marking and CMDCAS requirements.

I know that the certification body I am working with has hired many new full time medical device auditors in the US.

It takes time to get fully qualified so you have to be patient. You can contact some CB if you have experience as a quality manager in medical devices and have taken the ISO 13485 lead assessor course.

Danny

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
ISO 13485 only I'm not sure about,

certainly in the EU (and presumably with all EU NB's) there is a heavy demand for technical reviewers, if they have the ability to audit 13485 I imagine it would be a plus. I am contacted on almost a weekly basis to ask if I'm interested; I can also see evidence of this from the fact that it takes months to schedule a simple file review.:mad:

MDD (and soon MDR) requirements are becoming more burdensome, this is being passed on to the NB auditors to assess. It is going to have to be resourced somehow.

C

CJ951

Thanks for the responses so far!

I am located in the US for anybody wondering.

I would appreciate some more opinions!

C

CJ951

I'm interested in hearing from more 13485 lead assessors, like Danny, about whether or not the CBs are active with this standard, and whether or not it's worth me to pursue as an auditor :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in hearing from more 13485 lead assessors, like Danny, about whether or not the CBs are active with this standard, and whether or not it's worth me to pursue as an auditor :D
I'm in sales for a leading accredited CB and I can confirm there's activity with this standard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
Mikael What is the lightest material to make a Strong and Light Ratchet Tie Down Strap Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M What are the strong points of Fraction Nonconforming vs. Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Keeping Employee Self-Motivation Strong Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 23
BradM The need for Strong Passwords After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
S RUBBER PART has a special strong smell - Over-moulding with NBR rubber Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S New check gauges have strong chemical smell (TCE?) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
Tim Folkerts Getting a job - Strong on skills, weak on other qualifications Career and Occupation Discussions 12
N Post Market Surveillance Package Example Wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Modification of a product on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Post Market Surveillance for Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Post-market surveillance strategy EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Post-market clinical followup studies (PMCF) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Post Market Surveillance Standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
K EU MDD Class I Device market access / certification after 26th May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Post-Market Surveillance Plan - Requirements outlined in Annex III (1.1b) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Surveillance Plan Template EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Vietnamese Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for a medical device in Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup)/ PSUR template EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M New medical device on the market before MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M Informational The ANSM decides, as a precautionary measure, to withdraw from the market macrotextured breast implants and breast implants with polyurethane-coated s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup): Rationale for Exemption - Software Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Informational TGA – Q&A: Use of market authorisation evidence from comparable overseas regulatory bodies for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Informational Links to recognized / harmonised / consensus Standards for each market Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Entering the Italian Market - Implantable Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU Review and assessment of market surveillance activities 2014-2016 – Medical devices sector Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada – Consultation: Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Joint Action On Market Surveillance Of Medical Devices (JAMS) Releases Progress Update EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada Notice of intent: Strengthening the post-market surveillance and risk management Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S CE ETA (A2) Audit - CE mark for the european construction market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Medical Device News EU - List of national market surveillance authorities by sector and country EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Claiming equivalence with the product that was sold earlier in the market but not now EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Spares Market Supplier - Do we need to follow AS9110 or AS9100? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I IVD prototypes in EU market ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
V Placement of cosmetic products on EU market as medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W PMCF (Post-Market Clinical Followup) vs PMCF studies EU Medical Device Regulations 34
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S An auditor asked for a Post Market Surveillance Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4