Is there a way to import Column Descriptions in Minitab?

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is there a way to import column descriptions in Minitab? I originally had long column titles that I imported from Excel along with the data. Minitab then kindly truncated them to 32 characters. With over 60 columns of data, I don't want to enter this information manually into the column description form one column at a time.

Then, I want to print the description on any charts generated (nearly 500 with the data split by cavity).

Any ideas???

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
To my knowledge, you can only import the column name and data into Minitab. The Column Description must be typed in or pasted in individually.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yes, that's the OFFICIAL word from Minitab. I was hoping someone had figured out a work-around (ie: a macro solution).

A

allan-M

Well, you mentioned macros...
Seems there might be, but it uses methods most of us probably don't brush up against very often

Check out the minitab help. Close to the bottom of the navigation tree there is a section for minitab automation

The sample code for setting a column commend has been pasted in below.

I don'y know how to do any of this, but it looks theoretically possible

Create a Minitab Application object and add a Column object to the Columns collection of the active worksheet. Then define and populate the array "arrSales" with the column information, retrieve the Column object (MtbColumn), name it "Sales," and place the information in arrSales into the "Sales" column. Finally, set the Comment property of the new column.

Dim MtbApp As Mtb.Application
Dim MtbColumns As Mtb.Columns
Dim MtbColumn As Mtb.Column
Dim arrSales(1 To 8) As Double
arrSales(1) = 94
arrSales(2) = 99
arrSales(4) = 92
arrSales(5) = 106
arrSales(6) = 116
arrSales(7) = 113
arrSales(8) = 108

Set MtbApp = New Mtb.Application