Is there enough time left to transition to ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP?

Hi everyone,

My company has not started the transition to 13485:2016. Is there enough time left to transition to 13485:2016 and MDSAP within a reasonable timeline? The company is very small and doesn't have too much resources. What is the best approach to this transition? Should we work with external consultants?
Should we do 13485:2016 before MDSAP? This is a very small company.

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi,

Is there enough time left to transition to 13485:2016 and MDSAP within a reasonable timeline?
You’ve got a little over a year. If you’re determined you can make it, barely, I think. But don’t waste much more time contemplating or you’ll miss the train.

(MDSAP currently has a mandatory timeline only for Canada.)

Should we work with external consultants?
Yes, definitely! [I’m a consultant...:lol:]

Should we do 13485:2016 before MDSAP?
I don’t have first-hand experience with MDSAP, but from threads here I gather that it’d be a waste of resources to do it separately. MDSAP (with 13485 inc.) is resources-hungry, yet it would take even more resources to do it in 2 stages, or so I’m told.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat How Many Notified Bodies are "Enough" Already? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I "We don't have enough resources" as an Audit Non-conformance Response General Auditing Discussions 14
Q Is a DHR enough to fulfill 13485:2016's Medical Device File requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Is order acknowledgement enough? Contract Review Process 6
J We don't have enough Corrective action entries AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D Risk Register - have we considered enough and is the format acceptable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Is ISO 9001 fully enough to manage a business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Wayne Is a Manufacturer's Certification good enough or is ISO 17025 Certification required ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Q When is a Design Input Good Enough? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Auditor threatening Formal NC and CA for not enough PA Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 23
Miner Advanced MSA of Continuous Data Part 3: Are 3 Operators or 2 Replicates Enough? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Miner Advanced MSA of Continuous Data Part 2: Are 10 Parts Enough? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B Training Records - Can R?sum?s and Certificates Be Enough? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Sidney Vianna As a profession we, auditors, are not doing enough - Simon Feary speech Registrars and Notified Bodies 36
B Three Sub-Companies - Is One Quality Manual Enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Are we doing enough to meet Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Uncertainty (Top Down Method)! Auditor argues that this is not enough Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
D When you're not Lean enough for JIT (Just In Time) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
C Six months data enough for ISO 50001 implementation? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
S ISO 17025 requirements not enough to prove NIST Traceability? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
R ISO 17025 sufficient enough to drop ISO 10005 Quality Plan? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F Approval of Documents - Is Verbal Approval good enough? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 44
P Not Enough Resolution for Gage R&R - 79" Panel Length Measurements Help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Accelerated data enough to claim 3 years and be on the Market? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Is ASQ's CQE online training enough? Professional Certifications and Degrees 16
S Do we need to have enough documents to support APQP procedure? APQP and PPAP 10
T How to know if a measurement tool is "good enough" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 24
W CE Marking for Baby Crib Mattress - Which Directive? Is self declaration enough? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 15
C Not enough time for Root Cause analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
W When A Little Redneck Isn't Enough... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
C If 99% conforming is good enough... World News 11
Anerol C Is a Training Matrix Enough to cover ISO requirements? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 47
J Quality System Process Map - Is this too detailed or not enough detail? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 77
ScottK Are there eBayers dumb enough to pay outrageous shipping? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
D RoHS test - How many are enough? One customer sent us a Sony SS-00259 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
G Is IFOT (In Full & On Time) enough to determine Customer Perception? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Wes Bucey Too much info? - OR not enough? Sex Offender Registry Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 48
tony s Does RFQ from mother plant enough to initiate TS 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Management Reviews - What are the requirememts? Is a strategic plan enough? (3yearly) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
B Objectives for each process, COPs, MOP's and SOP's - How many is enough? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Is ISO enough to satisfy these TQM approval questions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Color-coded mugs that tell you when there's enough milk Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
P Not enough distinctive categories in Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Wes Bucey Six Sigma Is No Longer Enough - How does this 6 Sigma article affect us? Six Sigma 63
E Is Level 2 documentation enough? Level 3 document I want to delete is a flow chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
C Customer Requires QS-9000 - We think ISO 9001 is enough - Comments? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
D What is a reasonable time frame for a system to be 'mature enough' to audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
Raffy Defining Record Retention Times - Is 5 years long enough? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 41
S 4.11.4 MSA is R&R Enough? Linearity, bias, stability necessary as well? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3