Is this GR&R method valid? (Printing Company)

C

capnkrk

Hello all...

In traditional GR&R, multiple parts are used on a single gauge to assess overall variability. I want to use the same part on several different gauges to determine the differences between the gauges.

I work for a printer, so I want to use a 4 color sample (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) measuring each color on each of 5 gauges, which is a spectrophotometer in this case.

The nature of the spectro is such that operator variation should be near negligible, but I can throw in multiple operators if I want. This way, I have no part variation and negligible operator variation, leaving me with a pretty pure indicator of gauge variation.

Is this valid?

Also- Each gauge has been calibrated with a tolerance of +/-X, with X being different for each gauge. How does that factor into the equation???

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Is this GR&R method valid?

yes it's valid - it's real name is method comparison.

although it's usually advisable to throw in part to part variation ot see if there are differences that are dependent on the values. This is seen frequently with method comparison even when teh different 'methods' are just different instruments. However using a standard is a great way to get started adn learn something quickly. obvious differences will show up.

the different calibration ranges could contribute (depending on where tehey are actually calibrated) to the differences in repeatability of the instruments and therefore between the instruments especially with multiple parts.

I say do the experiment and see what you get.

just remember to test the standard on each instrument twice. reproducibilty has no meaning unless repeatability is understood and controlled. this applies to operators as well as different methods.

C

capnkrk

Re: Is this GR&R method valid?

Thanks, is there a drop in template you can recommend? I have 5 different gauges, I thought it was standard to do at least 3 different repeats, no?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
See this.

it only goes up to but you can customize it...

3 is what soeme people recommend (AIAG) but it isn't necessarry
the increase in the precision of the measurement error from n=2 repeats to n=3 repeats is negligabe. However, if you increase the number of PARTS you get as many data points but a whole lot more information and precision. I recommend 30 parts usually.

C

capnkrk

Thanks Bev, how do I customize the spreadsheet? I have 5 gauges, or 'measurement systems', and the template has 2.

Sorry, I'm not that creative w/excel...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Statistically valid method for multiple raw material sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Medical Device Industry Corrective Action Techniques - Is 8D valid method? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
S Valid Control Method - Machine specific LOTO (LockOut TagOut) procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
K Analytical Method Qualification Vs Validation expectations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
N Calibration Method for Scales and Flowmeters Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M Any alternative method instead of using GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 26
K ISO 17025 Method Validation and Verification for Test Lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J IEC60601-1: HiPot Test Method for Internally Powered Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
I Cryogenic Container Closure Integrity for HCT/P, Validation Method US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
LabCat Internal SOP for a validated (ISO) method? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
F Self Evident Inspection Method ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A ISO certs from suppliers - Expiration Tracking Method Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 14
V Handling deviations during analytical method validations Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
S Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size Internal Auditing 12
R R&R according to the Amplitude method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Finding Optimum Design Parameters using Taguchi method? Using Minitab Software 2
P Test Method Validation (TMV) for all Measurement Methods in Rec/Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Determining Sample Size and Method Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
shimonv Test Method Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
F Compendial method verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M V&V phase: Justification of acceptance criteria (statistical method ) - (Medical Device) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q Sampling method for Distributor verification activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Difference between Test Method Validation and Gage R&R Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 20
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R BS EN 12060:1998 - Zinc and zinc alloys Method of sampling Specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Pau Calvo How to motivate colleagues to use 8D method or similar Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 9
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
silentmonkey Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Ron Rompen Measurement Method Challenge - Measure feature #91 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions Internal Auditing 10
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I "Method" vs "Process" - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 33
P Test Method Validation for Tensile Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B AS9102 Supplier Flow Down Method AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7