Is this misuse of the MRB process?

FloridaST

Involved In Discussions
Hello all, somewhat quick MRB question where I could use some objective opinions.

The situation: We purchase components from distributors such as Digi-Key or Mouser which are then placed on circuit boards using a SMT process. These are purchased with strict guidelines to only purchase parts in certain packaging (tape and reel, tray, etc.) or they may either require additional processing to be utilized by the SMT machines.

Because of supply chain issues that many of us are all going through, purchasing is buying what they can and receiving inspection is placing all the parts in MRB for evaluation. Mind you, these are not necessarily non-conforming items, they are purchased and received as purchased so, to me, they are conforming assuming they pass inspection. The caveat is, they may not be useable at the specific process without additional attention. This should be identified prior to ordering and arrangements made to make them process capable.

Because of this, a decision was made to route all material purchased for a specific customer only to MRB. We don't do this for every part purchased, just one customer for now but it's a lot of parts (hundreds).

I treat MRB as a place to discuss and disposition non-conforming items only. I feel a temporary engineering location (to move parts to) to determine if parts are usable or not is a better way to go. I'm wary of getting into the MRB trap where all suspect items end up in MRB. I create documents for every MRB item for traceability that require sign-off. It's not a task that I take lightly and it can be very time consuming. I only have a very small staff in the quality department.

What would you do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Mind you, these are not necessarily non-conforming items...The caveat is, they may not be useable at the specific process without additional attention. This should be identified prior to ordering and arrangements made to make them process capable.
Because of this, a decision was made to route all material purchased for a specific customer only to MRB. We don't do this for every part purchased, just one customer for now but it's a lot of parts (hundreds).

I treat MRB as a place to discuss and disposition non-conforming items only. I feel a temporary engineering location (to move parts to) to determine if parts are usable or not is a better way to go. I'm wary of getting into the MRB trap where all suspect items end up in MRB.
I agree that you ought to make a distinction between nonconforming parts and parts that have not yet been fully qualified for this one customer. To me, the parts that have not yet been fully qualified have not yet completed incoming inspection, and should be segregated as such.

it seems the failure (or 'missed opportunity') here is that the incoming inspection process is not accommodating enough to provide sufficient segregation, inspection routing, and inspection resources to perform what needs to be done for this customer. Therefore, as the company is rightly erring on the side of caution, it is assuming all these parts are N/C until proven otherwise, and so following the N/C process. This is a downstream bandaid consequence of an inadequate upstream process.

Just as purchasing is having to think agilely and creatively about sourcing in these difficult time, receiving/incoming inspection needs to think agilely and creatively about handling this unique product situation.

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
In once place I worked we had an inventory "bucket" called "QC Hold" that was just for this sort of thing. The items were not released for stock or production, and they weren't "rejected," but they were held until disposition by the appropriate authority.

FloridaST

Involved In Discussions
In once place I worked we had an inventory "bucket" called "QC Hold" that was just for this sort of thing. The items were not released for stock or production, and they weren't "rejected," but they were held until disposition by the appropriate authority.
Jim, do you recall how you moved these parts into the QC Hold location? We need to show transactions in our ERP system so we can track where things are. Pretty much this is what I envision us doing, moving parts from receiving to a holding location until we can disposition it. I don't mind using MRB if it's truly non-conforming.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Jim, do you recall how you moved these parts into the QC Hold location? We need to show transactions in our ERP system so we can track where things are. Pretty much this is what I envision us doing, moving parts from receiving to a holding location until we can disposition it. I don't mind using MRB if it's truly non-conforming.
The system bucket was created in the MRP system (before ERP became the thing), and a physical location was created in the receiving inspection area. We did this rather than just rejecting the parts so that the rejection wouldn't count against the supplier. Most of the stuff that caused the problems was catalog items that were poorly documented so the receiving inspectors couldn't accept them.

Evelyn7E

Starting to get Involved
Hello all, somewhat quick MRB question where I could use some objective opinions.

The situation: We purchase components from distributors such as Digi-Key or Mouser which are then placed on circuit boards using a SMT process. These are purchased with strict guidelines to only purchase parts in certain packaging (tape and reel, tray, etc.) or they may either require additional processing to be utilized by the SMT machines.

Because of supply chain issues that many of us are all going through, purchasing is buying what they can and receiving inspection is placing all the parts in MRB for evaluation. Mind you, these are not necessarily non-conforming items, they are purchased and received as purchased so, to me, they are conforming assuming they pass inspection. The caveat is, they may not be useable at the specific process without additional attention. This should be identified prior to ordering and arrangements made to make them process capable.

I treat MRB as a place to discuss and disposition non-conforming items only. I feel a temporary engineering location (to move parts to) to determine if parts are usable or not is a better way to go. I'm wary of getting into the MRB trap where all suspect items end up in MRB. I create documents for every MRB item for traceability that require sign-off. It's not a task that I take lightly and it can be very time consuming. I only have a very small staff in the quality department.

What would you do?
FloridaST I understand your situation very well, Your department setup such as head count is not plan sudden abnormality due to chip shortage supply in the market, You will need justify the amount of work that had increase in your dept to the management. MRB is suppose to be place to dispose non conforming parts and the procurement need to discuss on this special process which need to have a different to handle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Interpreting "misuse" when assessing Hazardous Situations ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
O Safety Classification and Reasonably Foreseeable Misuse IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
A Should Intentional Misuse be covered in the Risk Analysis under ISO 62366? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
R Is foreseeable misuse considered as single fault condition? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 33
C Medical Device Malfunction during misuse - Does this need to be reported to the FDA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
U The Misuse of Lean Principles Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
D Another binomial use/misuse question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Le Chiffre Misuse of the ISO name! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
Marc ISO Gets Tough - Cracks down on misuse of the ISO name by web sites World News 1
J Example of a defined procedure for carrying out Material Review Board (MRB) Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
rerusk1 MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S MRB (Material Review Board) Investigations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Out of Dimensional Tolerance - MRB Audit Issue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
M Class I versus Class II Medical Device MRB Authority AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J I am looking for a Material Review Board (MRB) meeting agenda ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q I was assigned as Kaizen Leader for our MRB Area - Your advice appreciated Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
N Scrap Stored Long Term in MRB - ISO 9001 Nonconformance or Annoyance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H MRB Certification and/or career path? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
S MRB (Material Review Board) Agenda help Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
M Evolution has taken away MIL-STD-1520 C - What to use now? MRB and PMR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
E Basics of Materials Review Board (MRB) - When and Why it is required? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
V Can you explain about "MATERIAL REVIEW BOARD" (MRB)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
T NCR (Nonconformance Report) vs. MRB (Material Review Board) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
B Starting a Corrective Action Board (MRB - Material Review Board)? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Marc Acronym MRB - Material Review Board - A cross functional review - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
T Occurance of Non-Conformance, MRB (Material Review Board) and Record keeping Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 34
M Corrective actions - The act of having an MRB review and disposition General Auditing Discussions 13
B How to satisfy clause 5.7.1.5 process validation for valve production API 6D Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 13
C Change Management Process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
B Documents for production process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Process Capability - Determining the process capability of certain equipment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
Z E-Coating process International Specifications? FMEA and Control Plans 3
W CQI-15 for new welding process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Using electronic lab notebooks in the design control process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 17
S Consolidated Analysis Report for Moulding Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P ISO 11607-2 Process Specification Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Q Best off presentation of process flows Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
Q Logistics process flow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Process FMEA for Laser Cutting/Press Brake/Welding FMEA and Control Plans 2
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ch00Ch00 How to evaluate a process ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Implants made by Additive Manufacturing process approved by USFDA Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q Process Key figures and reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Ch00Ch00 Evaluate a process - Issue number Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
F Rules of process outsourcing in China China Medical Device Regulations 1
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 12