Is UKAS Calibration always required with AS9100 or is Traceable Calibration suffice?

Fitchy

Registered
Good Morning.

Its been a good many years since posting on here, but I am now back in the Quality Industry and need some advice :)

I am looking at the calibration system, and a few items that require external calibration ( some on site ). The rest we do in house.
In particular our weighing Scales, we are getting quotes come in which seem really high, and I think this is because we are requesting UKAS calibration. I think in the past when we had the Automotive TS standard this was a requirement. However I am not sure this is actually a requirement in AS9100. We have dropped the TS so do we still need to be paying the extra for the UKAS? Also the weighing scales are purely for counting and packing parts, they are not determining product quality. Ie Load testers or measuring equipment, I think I would still want UKAS.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Fitchy

Dazzur

Involved In Discussions
Morning mate,

If you're doing external calibration in the UK, it will be calibrated by a lab that is certified to 17025 99% of the time, only UKAS issues this certification in the UK I believe.

You don't have to go straight to a body that is certified to 17025, you can also try a third party that is not 17025 certified but their equipment is & has been calibrated by a body that is 17025 certified. they will verify your scales against their calibrated equipment, It's also usually a bit cheaper.

This is ultimately for you to decide, AS9100D 7.1.5.2 denotes where measurement traceability is a requirement, it's best that you consider the risks involved with mis counting quantities & its affects on customer requirements & product conformity.

Where it IS a requirement, it must be traceable.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Good Morning.

Its been a good many years since posting on here, but I am now back in the Quality Industry and need some advice :)

I am looking at the calibration system, and a few items that require external calibration ( some on site ). The rest we do in house.
In particular our weighing Scales, we are getting quotes come in which seem really high, and I think this is because we are requesting UKAS calibration. I think in the past when we had the Automotive TS standard this was a requirement. However I am not sure this is actually a requirement in AS9100. We have dropped the TS so do we still need to be paying the extra for the UKAS? Also the weighing scales are purely for counting and packing parts, they are not determining product quality. Ie Load testers or measuring equipment, I think I would still want UKAS.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Fitchy

There is nothing in AS9100D that requires calibrations from an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory unless it is a contract requirement. In fact, the ISO 9000 series of documents all refer to ISO 10012 as their go to calibration reference document.

You don't need a UKAS calibration for AS9100D, but you do need a calibration that uses "measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards"

Fitchy

Registered
Thank you both :) That is what I thought. The calibration lab itself is UKAS accredited so that will be fine. I will go with the standard calibration.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Speaking on my experience if its only for counting and packing (postage i assume) would it be easier to get some calibrated weights and just in house verify and validate. I dont have my packaging scales here calibrated i just do it internally against a known weight ive done 5 AS audits so far with no issue off it, i have other scales which are calibrated to a known standard and i have calibrated weights against them for verification.

Dazzur

Involved In Discussions
Speaking on my experience if its only for counting and packing (postage i assume) would it be easier to get some calibrated weights and just in house verify and validate. I dont have my packaging scales here calibrated i just do it internally against a known weight ive done 5 AS audits so far with no issue off it, i have other scales which are calibrated to a known standard and i have calibrated weights against them for verification.
The best answer & easiest method as Mattador said, completely skipped over my head.

Fitchy

Registered
Thank you. I had thought of this and we do have calibrated internal weights so I may do this for the smaller scales, but I didn't mention we also use the big heavy ones that go up to 750 Kilos to weigh incoming raw material and we don't have weights that heavy. So for these I can still get them done outside :) Thanks again all.

Top Bottom