ISO 10993 for Fabric based Electrode - Finding already FDA Approved Materials

M

moe.c.strife

We are planning to use a fabric based electrode in our functional electrical stimulator medical device.

Before we commercially sell it, we need to do more experiments to improve the properties and quality.

We though, it would be necessary to know which materials already have FDA approvals, ISO certifications so we spend less money obtaining approval once the experimentation is done and/or don't waste our time with products which are going to be hard to get approval.

Properties:

1. Contact: Direct to skin
  2. Material: Nylon, Polyester and Cotton (no metal in direct contact)
  3. Current: Biphasic (similar to the ones used in functional electrical stimulations, 30 Hz, 200 microsec pulse, 5 mA)
  4. Unlike traditional gel electrode or Textronics (FDA approved) Nylon, Polyester, Cotton and Silver threaded electrodes, it must be soaked in water for good conductance

Where should I go from here?

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: ISO 10993 for fabric based electrode

Hello and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

A good start would be to ask your material suppliers for any evidence or certification that they have re. meeting the 3 basic ISO 10993 tests: Cytotoxicity, Sensitization & Irritation (assuming your electrode is intended for <24h contact with uncompromised skin only). If they also have master files with the FDA for any of these materials, ask for a letter of authorization (not so much for the authorization, but as proof that the files exist). the ISO 10993 series is harmonized so it should also satisfy the EC requirements in that regard.

You could sometimes get away without the above if necessary (e.g. you need a specific grade that hasn't been tested yet), but as a first choice and to reduce costs and burden the above would be preferred.

Also take a look here:

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/ucm080735.htm

If you further process the materials from the purchased state / form, you may be required to repeat the tests on finished product, however, the above 3 tests aren't too lengthy / expensive.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Hello and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

A good start would be to ask your material suppliers for any evidence or certification that they have re. meeting the 3 basic ISO 10993 tests: Cytotoxicity, Sensitization & Irritation (assuming your electrode is intended for <24h contact with uncompromised skin only). If they also have master files with the FDA for any of these materials, ask for a letter of authorization (not so much for the authorization, but as proof that the files exist). the ISO 10993 series is harmonized so it should also satisfy the EC requirements in that regard.

You could sometimes get away without the above if necessary (e.g. you need a specific grade that hasn't been tested yet), but as a first choice and to reduce costs and burden the above would be preferred.

Also take a look here:

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/ucm080735.htm

If you further process the materials from the purchased state / form, you may be required to repeat the tests on finished product, however, the above 3 tests aren't too lengthy / expensive.

Cheers,
Ronen.
Edit: Testing (if required) may have to be done after soaking with water. I doubt water will materially affect the results, but to be on the safe side better consult a toxicologist experienced with ISO 10993.

M

moe.c.strife

Thanks a lot for the reply Ronen.

I should add that the material I am intending to use for electrical stimulation is actually supplied from a diaper company.

It seems to me, testing would have to include both water and electrical current.

As for toxicologist consultation do you know any good ones, I should be contacting?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Thanks a lot for the reply Ronen.

I should add that the material I am intending to use for electrical stimulation is actually supplied from a diaper company.

It seems to me, testing would have to include both water and electrical current.

As for toxicologist consultation do you know any good ones, I should be contacting?
Hi,

You may be right - a conservative approach would include electrical exposure. However, I'm not sure how that would fit in with ISO 10993 standard test methods. An experienced testing toxicologist should be able to properly address this aspect. Alternatively, you might want to show through prior bench testing that the candidate materials are chemically and otherwise stable under the foreseeable worst-case electrical exposure (this may be beneficial regardless of biocompatibility).

For consultation you could approach NAMSA for a USA-based lab, and either MDT or MDS (both in Germany) if you prefer an EC-based one (I am not affiliated with either).

Cheers,
Ronen.

M

moe.c.strife

Hi

I was looking up 510k, PMA and every other database on FDA's medical device website.

(FDA >> MedicalDevices >> Device Regulation and Guidance >> Databases, I don't have enough permission to post the link with the complete database listings)

I can't find results with key words like "diaper" or my supplier's company name, there must be some cloth material approval somewhere, or am I even looking up the correct databases.

I am just waiting for replies from the supplier and the toxicologists.

Cheers,

Mohamed

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi

I was looking up 510k, PMA and every other database on FDA's medical device website.

(FDA >> MedicalDevices >> Device Regulation and Guidance >> Databases, I don't have enough permission to post the link with the complete database listings)

I can't find results with key words like "diaper" or my supplier's company name, there must be some cloth material approval somewhere, or am I even looking up the correct databases.

I am just waiting for replies from the supplier and the toxicologists.

Cheers,

Mohamed
Hi,

The databases you were searching contain cleared medical devices, classifications etc. I don't think that there's an open-to-public FDA database of approved materials. Many times the materials used are trade secrets.

Collecting existing biocompatibility data for regulatory clearance purposes is one of the trickiest tasks for small start-up companies. You have to be resourceful and persistent, and of course a bit of luck can help too. In simple cases that don't require a lot of testing it may be easier to rely on similar uses (like diapers in your case) and just do the tests.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Adele

Involved In Discussions
What you need to find is evidence of FDA clearance of these materials in a medical device that has a similar level of contact.

Also, type the words Nylon, Polyester and Cotton (separately) into the 21 CFR database and see if there are any 21 CFR entries that reference them. It is always very useful and interesting.

My advice would be to contract this evaluation out to a biocompatibility lab to do the whole thing. They have experience preparing biological evaluations which are acceptable to the FDA and will include a toxicologist.

J

Jonas Wistrand

Hi,

How did the fabric based electrodes work with FES? I've tried a bunch of these "terry cloth" - electrodes, but they all give a burning feeling.

Also, did you test the materials to see if they comply with ISO 10993?

Regards,
Jonas

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S ECG Cable Banana to Snap or Tab electrode Adapters -- ISO 10993 Requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P European versions of standards - ISO 10993-1 and ISO 11607-1 EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Evaluation - Electronic thermometer Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P ISO 10993-1:2018 - When will the European equivalent become a Harmonized Standard? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
I ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Requirements - manufacturing process chemicals Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
N Technical File Reviewer has requested more testing to ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
T ISO 10993-7 - Ethylene oxide sterilization residues Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
planB ISO 10993-1:2018 has just been published Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
K ISO 10993 Requirements For 510k - Substantial Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
T Using Risk Management in ISO 10993 - Medical Device Accessory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P ISO 10993 - Sterile (Irradiation) Polypropylene Syringe Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
D Actual Definition of Non-Contact for ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S ISO 10993-1: External Communicating Device biocompatibility test requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Selecting materials for implants to comply with ISO 10993 biocompatibility Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T Plastic of an infusion pump enclosure and ISO 10993 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Upcoming changes for ISO 10993 and IEC 60601 in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M FDA issues draft guidance to replace G95-1 (Application of ISO 10993) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B Verify GB/T 16886 is the same as ISO 10993 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
B New ISO 10993-12 - Consistency of Extraction Conditions through different Assays Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Suppliers of ISO 10993 compliant Material for Skin Contact Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M ISO 10993 - Repeat tests necessary if colour changes slightly? Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
M Pre-Selecting Materials for ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Compliance Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
F ISO 10993-10 - Removed from List of Harmonized Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S ISO 10993 Cytotox Testing - Direct Contact rather than Extractables Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E Meeting ISO 10993-1 2009 Material Risk Assessment Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
M ISO 10993 Labs which can test Cytotoxicity, Sensitizaton and Irritation Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
J Biological Evaluation requirements per ISO 10993 - Medical Device Testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Claiming Biocompatibility without ISO 10993-1 Other Medical Device Related Standards 19
J ISO 10993 (Biological Compatibility) Approved Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 23
T ISO 10993-10: 2002 vs 2010 version - What are the Major Changes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
W ISO 10993 (Biological Evaluation of Medical Devices) for Suppliers Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
I EO (Ethylene Oxide) Residuals - EN ISO 10993-7:2008 EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Does anyone know of a biocompatible ABS tested & certified to ISO 10993-1 Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
W ISO 10993 - Replacing Sensitization Test with Systemic Toxicity Test? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
I ISO 10993-10:2010 Guidance Document for Irritation and Sensitization Test - Changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M EO (Ethylene Oxide) and ECH (Ethylene Chlorohydrin) Residual as per ISO 10993-7:2008 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
I ISO 10993-1:2009 Sensitization (Initial Evaluation Test) vs. USP Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
B What ISO 10993 considers Non-Invasive vs. Invasive MDD 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Differences between the biocompatibility standards ISO 7405 and ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R What the difference in ISO 10993-11:2006 and 2009? Other Medical Device Related Standards 17
R Extent of Recognition of ISO 10993-1 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Biocompatibility of Medical Devices (ISO 10993 vs Japan requirement) Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
J ISO 10993: Biocompatibility and Use of Textile Materials for Skin Contact Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Cytotoxicity testing to ISO 10993-5 results - Is 1/ mild a pass or fail? Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
B Implementation Schedule in EU for ISO 10993-7:2008 - Transition period? EU Medical Device Regulations 9