ISO 14001:2015 cover more than 1 company or business unit?

Trebor123

Involved In Discussions
Extract from ISO 14001:2015

"Note 3 to entry: The scope of a management system can include the whole of the organization, specific and identified functions of the organization, specific and identified sections of the organization, or one or more functions across a group of organizations"

How would you guys interpret this?

Say for example "you have a sister company doing the same function"?

Would that be covered? It doesnt actually state that you have to hold ISO 14001 for each separate "Company" - as it states "one or more functions across a group of organisations?

A "Group" of Companies i.e say BAE they have 9 different divisions and 9 different limited companies but 1x Global "Top" Management, there are 9 different ISO certificates by different Accreditation companies !!! EXAMPLE ONLY saying..

Could be Jo Bloggs ltd...

Confused - who is best placed to interpret this to its true meaning?

:):bigwave:

Trebor123

Involved In Discussions
Response from ISO.... I had called to discuss with BSi they couldnt tell me and said to contact ISO.. their response below !!

You may be interested to know that the BSI is the secretariat for the subcommittee (ISO/TC 207/SC 1) responsible for the development of ISO 14001. Furthermore, the BSI is also a certification body, and therefore can advise you on certification matters

IT does make you wonder who is actually setting the standards and who is running this show?

very sceptical, but it does cost money! who is making the money, will it help the UK getting out of Europe, systems are far better out and do we all really need ISO's.. ??? makes me wonder... when no-one can give you a straight answer !!!!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I can't speak for separate companies on one certificate, but I know you can have separate sites/business units on one certificate. Search the web for ISO 14001 certificates and you can find many like this one that show multiple sites on one certificate.

Attachments

• iso14001.pdf
    900.8 KB · Views: 850

Randy

Super Moderator
It would require multi-site certification which when 3 or more locations are involved would allow for sampling instead of individual annual visits

Trebor123

Involved In Discussions
Note we are talking ISO 14001:2015 here and not ISO 14001:2004, there are some change and some "open" sentences/Notes etc

thanks

:bigwave:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Note we are talking ISO 14001:2015 here and not ISO 14001:2004, there are some change and some "open" sentences/Notes etc

thanks

No confuse...
Its about the scope of the management system related to organization and leadership.
About the scope of certification, address it per the 4.3 by considering a) b) c) d) & e)

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

thanks

The 14001 certification body rules are defined in the ISO 17021 series of documents not in ISO 14001 itself. ISO 17021-2, which is specific to ISO 14001, hasn't changed since 2012. The latest version of ISO 17021-1 was released last year. I don't claim to be an expert on ISO 17021, but I haven't heard anything about removing or changing the ability to have multiple sites on a single certificate.

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm struggling to figure out what y'all don't understand....Nothing has really changed, 1 5, 10 or 100 business units can be under the same certificate number, the certificate has a broad general scope and each location must be individually listed statining it's specific scope. I just did one that has over 90 locations globally and last week I did a similar process for a 9001 certificate that has 38. This is called multi-site certification and a sampling is done according to IAF MD1:2007 Multiple Site Sampling.

There's nothing mystical about this

Trebor123

Involved In Discussions
Hi did they all have the same NAME/Banner (Company LOGO) or were they separate business units? The auditors are telling me that if we want to go forward we will have to class them both as separate organisations, even though its the same "Board of Directors", Same HSEQ, Same HR, Same IT Man etc...

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm an auditor and it's nearly all that I do, there's got to be more to this or the auditor is totally lost.

Top Bottom