ISO 14001 Implementation Help & Question about Supplier Approval

T

TTUK01

Hi Covers!

I am stuck in an understanding here... (maybe its just me!)
I have moved to a differenct Company, and my experience is limited and only based upon information provided to me via consultant at my old job, which was a very long time ago!

I have in the 'old' system a Procedures of 'Environmental Supplier Approval' which in-turn I created a Supplier Register of "Approved" suppliers.

Now, do I actually need a register of approved suppliers for ISO14001? or what?!

I am at a loss when I do not know what I do need to comply with Supplier Approval and such criterias, and what I don't need...BUT,
In the Standard it states under 4.4.6:

4.4.6 Operational control
The organization shall identify and plan those operations that are associated with the identified significant
environmental aspects consistent with its environmental policy, objectives and targets, in order to ensure that
they are carried out under specified conditions, by
a) establishing, implementing and maintaining a documented procedure(s) to control situations where their
absence could lead to deviation from the environmental policy, objectives and targets, and
b) stipulating the operating criteria in the procedure(s), and
c) establishing, implementing and maintaining procedures related to the identified significant environmental
aspects of goods and services used by the organization and communicating applicable procedures and

requirements to suppliers, including contractors.

Yet I have never ever done or written a Procedure for Operational Control.

Do it need to write / include one???

My current Core Procedures are:
  1. Document Control
  2. Record Control
  3. Internal Audits
  4. Legal Requirements
  5. Corrective Action
  6. Preventive Action
  7. Aspects & Impacts
  8. Targets & Objectives
  9. Environmental Management Program
  10. Training, Awareness and Competency
  11. Communication
  12. Emergency Response Plan
  13. Management Review
My Operational Procedures are:
  1. Control of Vehicle Maintenance
  2. Water Effluent Management
  3. Energy Management
  4. COSHH
  5. Wood Packaging
  6. Producer Responsibility Obligation Laws
  7. Packaging Compliance
Have I got the main Procedures required for EMS? Am I on track with the documents required?

I understand what I have written is alot of imformation, I hope someone can help me out on this!

Many Thanks,
- TTUK

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Covers!

I am stuck in an understanding here... (maybe its just me!)
I have moved to a differenct Company, and my experience is limited and only based upon information provided to me via consultant at my old job, which was a very long time ago!

I have in the 'old' system a Procedures of 'Environmental Supplier Approval' which in-turn I created a Supplier Register of "Approved" suppliers.

Now, do I actually need a register of approved suppliers for ISO14001? or what?!

I am at a loss when I do not know what I do need to comply with Supplier Approval and such criterias, and what I don't need...BUT,
In the Standard it states under 4.4.6:

Yet I have never ever done or written a Procedure for Operational Control.

Do it need to write / include one???

My current Core Procedures are:
  1. Document Control
  2. Record Control
  3. Internal Audits
  4. Legal Requirements
  5. Corrective Action
  6. Preventive Action
  7. Aspects & Impacts
  8. Targets & Objectives
  9. Environmental Management Program
  10. Training, Awareness and Competency
  11. Communication
  12. Emergency Response Plan
  13. Management Review
My Operational Procedures are:
  1. Control of Vehicle Maintenance
  2. Water Effluent Management
  3. Energy Management
  4. COSHH
  5. Wood Packaging
  6. Producer Responsibility Obligation Laws
  7. Packaging Compliance
Have I got the main Procedures required for EMS? Am I on track with the documents required?

I understand what I have written is alot of imformation, I hope someone can help me out on this!

Many Thanks,
- TTUK

If you are certified vs 9001 , we can think to integrate with ISO 14001.
You as organization shall establish criteria to select, evalaute and re-evaluate your suppliers. No need for approval list of suppliers: ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 do not require it, but it is a requirement if you establish it in your documented procedure.
:bigwave:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Lets read the 4.4.6 c) once again ...

c) establishing, implementing and maintaining procedures related to the identified significant environmental aspects of goods and services used by the organization and communicating applicable procedures and requirements to suppliers, including contractors.

Do we read anything about supplier approval ??
Lets say you are an ISO14001 company and you are getting your company building painted. As a part of your EMS you will communicate applicable procedures and requirements to painting contractors in terms of paint and thinner handling and disposal per your assessment.

That is about it. Look for more examples within your company.

In my case when I have to dispose hazardous waste, I select an agency who in particular has the pollution control board authorization to handle and dispose my type of Hz waste based on the pollution control board classification. Here I am also doing the similar thing as the above example. Here it is an identified significant environmental aspect for me as it is legal and legal is significant for me.

So... have you established, implemented and are maintaining applicable procedures related to the identified significant environmental aspects of goods and services used by the organization and communicating applicable procedures and requirements to suppliers, including contractors... ??

NOT NECESSARY AS A DOCUMENTED PROCEDURE

Randy

Super Moderator
Supplier approval? Take the time to read 14001 and you won't find either the phrase or anything close to it

Within 4.4.6 all you gotta do with suppliers is tell them "if you want to sell to us or work for us, these are the rules you have to follow" (document it if necessary to avoid ineffective communication and understanding on their part)

That's it...Keep it simple, keep it clear, keep it consistant...And forget all the other horse-bagels:horse:

T

TTUK01

Lets read the 4.4.6 c) once again ...

c) establishing, implementing and maintaining procedures related to the identified significant environmental aspects of goods and services used by the organization and communicating applicable procedures and requirements to suppliers, including contractors.

Do we read anything about supplier approval ??
Lets say you are an ISO14001 company and you are getting your company building painted. As a part of your EMS you will communicate applicable procedures and requirements to painting contractors in terms of paint and thinner handling and disposal per your assessment.

That is about it. Look for more examples within your company.

In my case when I have to dispose hazardous waste, I select an agency who in particular has the pollution control board authorization to handle and dispose my type of Hz waste based on the pollution control board classification. Here I am also doing the similar thing as the above example. Here it is an identified significant environmental aspect for me as it is legal and legal is significant for me.

So... have you established, implemented and are maintaining applicable procedures related to the identified significant environmental aspects of goods and services used by the organization and communicating applicable procedures and requirements to suppliers, including contractors... ??

NOT NECESSARY AS A DOCUMENTED PROCEDURE

@somashekar,

Thank you, your post has really helped me!!

Regards, TTUK

Supplier approval? Take the time to read 14001 and you won't find either the phrase or anything close to it

Within 4.4.6 all you gotta do with suppliers is tell them "if you want to sell to us or work for us, these are the rules you have to follow" (document it if necessary to avoid ineffective communication and understanding on their part)

That's it...Keep it simple, keep it clear, keep it consistant...And forget all the other horse-bagels:horse:

@Randy,

Thank you, I agree I really want to keep this a simple, clean and effective EMS system, and not all the 'horse-bagels' which my previous consultant told me or gave me to do!

Thank you for helping!

Regards, TTUK

T

TTUK01

Hi All,

I have removed the entire 'Supplier Approval' section of my EMS, and have including the following in to '4.4.2 Competence, Training and Awareness'.
Would this be acceptable, and cover 4.4.6 (c)?

All employees and Contractors whose work or activities and services on TTUK Group premises could create significant environmental impacts are required to have appropriate EMS awareness training.
The purpose of the training is:

• To ensure the employee / contractor understand the importance of conformance with the environmental policy and procedures within the requirements of the EMS.
  • To ensure that the employee / contractor are aware of the significant environmental impacts, actual or potential of their work activities and benefits of improved environmental performance.
  • To ensure that the employee / contractor understand the potential consequence of departure from operating procedures specified within the EMS.
  • To ensure that the employee / contractor understands their roles and responsibilities in achieving the conformance with the Environmental Policy and procedures within the requirements of the EMS.

Many Thanks,

- TTUK

Top Bottom