ISO 14001 in education organizations

M

Michal

Hi, I recently learnt about an institution for teachers training that adopted ISO 14001. Do you know about other such organizations (like schools or universities) that did the same? :thanx:

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi and welcome!! :bigwave:

Look at the University of Missouri - Rolla and the Waltham Public Schools in Massachusetts.

Randy

Super Moderator
Rolla includes EMS/ISO 14001 in many course tracks & is registered to 14K, and the Waltham schools have a system in place.

M

Michal

Randy, Those were 2 great links, I was very impressed by the comprehensive approach of both organizations. Thanks again
I'm trying to promote ISO 14K in my kids school. Its a primary school with around 500 pupils. Do you have any recommendations how to start? The headmaster is new & open to new ideas

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Trying to get the school onboard with an EMS is a great idea! I'd suggest bringing in representatives from local industries who also have EMS to show to the students and staff the benefits and why an EMS is a vital program.

Our EMS Representative goes around to schools and helps out with tree plantings, and garden openings, and doing speeches on the environment and our role (both my company's and us as a community).

He even gives little rewards to those students such as ice cream scoops made from recycled steel (shows that some products can be reused and promotes what my company does...recycles steel).

Randy

Super Moderator
Michal said:
Randy, Those were 2 great links, I was very impressed by the comprehensive approach of both organizations. Thanks again
I'm trying to promote ISO 14K in my kids school. Its a primary school with around 500 pupils. Do you have any recommendations how to start? The headmaster is new & open to new ideas

Making the assumption that your school may have some faith based oversight I'd suggest emphasizing the fact that we were entrusted by the creator to take care of the earth and that we have only one place to live. I would then tell the kids that ISO 14001 is a type of tool that was invented to manage or take care of that which God gave us and to set up a way to do it better all the time.

Get into contact with the Waltham School folks and see how they did it.

M

Michal

I'll start with your recommendations & see where it takes me. I guesss I'll have many more questions along the way.

Top Bottom