SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

ISO 14644-3 - Testing Air for Particle Counts

ISOsandy

Inactive Registered Visitor
Can anyone help me get a copy of ISO14644-3? Any help, advice or anything would be helpful!

We are trying to test air for particle counts... not sure on the testing methods, formula's ect (new to clean rooms) so I am completly lost!! :mg:

Thanks,
Sandy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
You'll probably have to buy a copy because we can't post copyrighted documents such as ISO standards here, but do you have a specific question?

For reference:
ISO 14644, Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments - Part 3: Test Methods

Scope
This part of ISO 14644 specifies test methods for designated classification of airborne particulate cleanliness and for characterizing the performance of cleanrooms and clean zones. Performance tests are specified for two types of cleanrooms and clean zones: those with unidirectional flow and those with non-unidirectional flow, in three possible occupancy states: as-built, at-rest and operational. The test methods recommend test apparatus and test procedures for determining performance parameters. Where the test method is affected by the type of cleanroom or clean zone, alternative procedures are suggested. For some of the tests, several different methods and apparatus are recommended to accommodate different end-use considerations. Alternative methods not included in this part of ISO 14644 may be used if based on agreement between customer and supplier. Alternative methods do not necessarily provide equivalent measurements. This part of ISO 14644 is not applicable to the measurement of products or of processes in cleanrooms or separative devices.

Background
The first meeting of WG 3 was held in 1994 in Tokyo. Initial questions faced by the working group were: what was to be included in the standard and what was to be the structure of the standard. During brainstorming sessions in the first meeting, measurements and tests related to cleanrooms were classified into three categories:

1. Measurement and test methods inherent to cleanrooms.
2. Measurement and test methods often used in cleanroom but not limited to cleanrooms.
3. Measurement and test methods of a general nature.

As cleanrooms include all phases of the engineering sciences, the measurement and test methods related to cleanrooms were numerous. WG 3 was requested by ISO/TC 209 to use the following policy to decide which items to include in the document:

1. If there are any previously established standards on the subject, refer to them.
2. Include items according to the requests or needs of other Working Groups.

The most important objectives of this document are to provide an internationally common basis of measurement and evaluation of cleanrooms and, at the same time, not to prevent the introduction of new technologies. The latter is the reason that the part of this Standard related to instrumentation is Informative. The document was submitted as an American National Standard and has been adopted as ANSI/IEST/ISO 14644-3:2005 in the United States.

ISOsandy

Well, let's see... Like I said, this is all new to me, I have a particle counter and am unsure how to evaluate and take my readings. I also have the microbiological counter... but particle counter first.

We will be a class 100,000 (ISO Class 8) clean room.
I am unsure how to perform the calculations, how many samples to take per area, the sample time/length, and how to interpret it all. I know I need to find the air exchange rates, cubic meters, etc... not sure how to tie it all in and report it correctly.

I hope that made sense... It is Monday and this is driving me batty!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
ISOsandy, do you have a manual for your particle counter?

If not, I've tried to find them online but I expect you'd have better results by contacting the manufacturer or supplier for a copy. They might also have other materials for you to use. Please take your unit in hand (with its model number and serial number) and call them so you can get direct help that can be imported to work instructions or kept in your files.

If you can give us the make and model number of your tester maybe we can help find your formulas.

ISOsandy

ISOsandy, do you have a manual for your particle counter?

If not, I've tried to find them online but I expect you'd have better results by contacting the manufacturer or supplier for a copy. They might also have other materials for you to use. Please take your unit in hand (with its model number and serial number) and call them so you can get direct help that can be imported to work instructions or kept in your files.

If you can give us the make and model number of your tester maybe we can help find your formulas.
I have the manual, know how to operate the unit. However, how do you perform the calculations? What are the sample sizes (qty of readings taken at each designated area) and how long should the readings be (2 min, 5 min)...

I know I need the exchange rate, however for ISO CLass 8, in given so many cubic meters of area, what is the sample size? Proximity of samples and qty at each location? Testing time? And then finally, calculation?

It is not as simple as take your particle counter, get some readings, and go with it, at least not as far as I have researched so far.

The counter has multiple settings, and you can place it anywhere, take any number of readings. The manual doesn't get into requirements/methods/calcualtions, just how to operate the equipment.

Thanks for the advice though!
Sandy

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Sandy, I did a Google search using words "procedure particle count clean room class 8" and found these sources for you:

http://www.pmeasuring.com/support/papers/particlemonitoring/pharmaceutical/app41/viewHtml
http://www.particlecounters.org/blog/iso-14644-cleanroom-validating-to-iso-class-8/
http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1455

If my links do not give you what you need, please perform the Google search again (might want to include the term "ISO" in your search words) and open the links until you access the needed process guidance.

I hope this helps!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello!

Have you considered having a contract service come in a perform this? That is their business, and they are usually quite familar with the classifications and the documentation. That may give you a start. This is NOT to suggest that you are not competent, or you can't do your own test. It just sounds like you may be getting down to 'crunch time'. The money spent (given you pick a good certification company) will be well worth it to give you a start. Too, if you are seeking some industry approval, using a reputable certification organization may be a plus.

1. Are you just testing the room for particle classification, or do you have HEPA filters you are also going to test? Filters are another fun ballgame.

2. Did you build your own cleanroom, or did someone build it for you? If someone built it for you, they should have given you some documentation to support the classification.

3. If you built it yourself... NOTE: Without making modifications, the room will be what it is. It may or may not meet your specifications.

As far as the calculations, most of the more current particle counters already have printouts/algorithms to present the criteria for the classifications. As Marc pointed out, you really should purchase the copy of the specification.

Also, particle testing should occur while activity is being conducted in the room, to simulate the actual generation of particles.

Just some thoughts. Good luck, and repost if there are more questions.

ISOsandy

Thanks for all of the information!

The situation is, this company was purchased and moved to Ohio. So we are re-doing everything in the new facility. We have all of the equipment to perform the tests, I am just not familiar with all of this.
I am trying to go back through the old files, SOP's and documents to see exactly what was done prior, but of course it is a mess and the few employees that stayed with the move are not cooperative.:mad:

The company has already made the decision to handle this with our team. We had the room designed and built from a contractor and I am waiting for all of the information on that. Just wanted to get my head straight and on the right path before I really have to get this completed.

We do have the HEPA filters, plus like 4 additional filter types... so it is a bit much.

Thanks again!
Sandy

Last edited:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Good luck to you!

Please do repost and let us know how your progress goes. It is such a good learning experience to read about the initial challenge, how you dealt with it, lessons learned, etc. It takes great humility to do that, but all benefit from it.

I hope that your particle count readings get you two classes better than what you need!:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 14644 Airborne Particle Count Testing Requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
P ISO 14644 Class 8 Cleanroom Air Filter Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T The difference between ISO 14644-3:2005 and ISO 14644:2019 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Ajit Basrur Why is ISO 14644-3:2019 not approved by US? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Construction of an ISO 8 Clean Room - ISO 14644-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Which part of ISO 14644 describe how can I classify cleanrooms between them? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D What should an ISO 14644 Clean Room PQ (Performance Qualification) look like? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
N ISO 14644-1 Clean Room Occupancy State Validation Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M ISO 14644 - Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments -Recovery Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
V Not using gloves in Clean Room Class 8 (ISO 14644) Manufacturing and Related Processes 21
A Is ISO 14644 harmonized for US? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A ISO 14644 training in Austria, Germany and Switzerland ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Why is Microbiological (viable) monitoring not part of ISO 14644 ? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
W ISO 14644 Cleanroom Validation - "Operational" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R ISO 14644-1 maximum particulate concentration limits concern Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
L ISO 14644 Class 7 Clean Room Requirements Training Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J ISO 14644-5 section C3 - ISO Class 7 question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
V Updated Clean Room Classification Table of ISO 14644 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
J ISO 14644 - Monitoring Clean Room Particulates (Class 8 Cleanroom) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
L ISO 14644 Result Sheets for Particle monitoring and related monitoring? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The requirements of an ISO 14644 Class 8 Clean Room Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Standard on Clean room - Where can I buy ISO 14644-1 and ISO 14644-4 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
L Can anyone help me with ISO 14644? Other Medical Device Related Standards 17
I Non-sterile device - Rapid Test Kits - ISO 14644 Clean Room required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
I Building a new cleanroom - ISO 14644-3 or ISO 14644-4 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marc Federal Standard 209E Replaced by ISO 14644 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
A ISO 14644 - Contamination Control Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO 20417:2021 Country of Manufacture Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D ISO 26262 functional safety : how to get started Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N ISO 22716 - GMP Training for GMP trainer Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
H ISO 13485-paragraphs for a SaaS SAMD needed or not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M ISO 12944 Understanding the thickness guidlines Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
A Anxiety - ISO Re-registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P ISO 20400:2017 Sustainable Procurement Implementation Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
R ISO 27001 implementation IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
D Can an ISO 9001 Certificate have Remote Locations? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W What is okay to use as a reference material for ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R ISO 14971 not harmonized ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
A ISO 14001:2015 clause 4.4 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
A Internal audit plan and processes for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
Moncia Implementing ISO 50001 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 17
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
C ISO 80601-2-56 Laboratory accuracy Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
D ISO 9001 - 8.4.1 Evaluate All Suppliers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
M Looking for a copy of ISO 10651 Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 6
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6