ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new with ISO 17025 standard and still need a lot to learn and understand.

My current company is accredited in ISO 17025 as a Testing Laboratory. However my company also performing calibration on equipment especially our own equipment which currently I found that they do not have the measurement uncertainty. While some of the equipment, my company will send to accredited Lab to perform calibration where they will provide a complete certificate with the measurement uncertainty.

My question is since we are not accredited in calibration do my company still need to provide calibration with evaluation of measurement uncertainty to satisfy clause 7.6.2?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

lawcch

Involved In Discussions
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new with ISO 17025 standard and still need a lot to learn and understand.

My current company is accredited in ISO 17025 as a Testing Laboratory. However my company also performing calibration on equipment especially our own equipment which currently I found that they do not have the measurement uncertainty. While some of the equipment, my company will send to accredited Lab to perform calibration where they will provide a complete certificate with the measurement uncertainty.

My question is since we are not accredited in calibration do my company still need to provide calibration with evaluation of measurement uncertainty to satisfy clause 7.6.2?
definitely. YES.. either your lab accredited or not, you still have to ensure that every calibration work must calculate and include all TOTAL measurement uncertainty (MU) base on GUM documents or technical standards. It is a a very difficult technical subject to explain here. I advise you to attend professional training and you must be very good in statistical techniques and data analysis. Also, you must identify sources contributed to your total MU base on the number of processes or steps involve in the calibration processes.
Not only you need to attend technical training but you must have working experience in calibration works in order to become a competent technicians to do calibration or testing jobs. It is all mentioned in ISO/IEC 17025 on competence of personnel and calibration of your own measuring equipment in the lab.

definitely. YES.. either your lab accredited or not, you still have to ensure that every calibration work must calculate and include all TOTAL measurement uncertainty (MU) base on GUM documents or technical standards. It is a a very difficult technical subject to explain here. I advise you to attend professional training and you must be very good in statistical techniques and data analysis. Also, you must identify sources contributed to your total MU base on the number of processes or steps involve in the calibration processes.
Not only you need to attend technical training but you must have working experience in calibration works in order to become a competent technicians to do calibration or testing jobs. It is all mentioned in ISO/IEC 17025 on competence of personnel and calibration of your own measuring equipment in the lab.
Thanks for the explanation

lawcch

Involved In Discussions
I think you must specify what type of accuracy you want to achieve in your own verification of measuring equipment. If you want to perform your own calibration even though you do testing work , your reference measuring equipment must has traceable to national or international standard .and you must specify what level of accuracy you want to achieve in your calibration. Therefore, I would NOT advise you to do your own calibration work for yur measuring equipment which use in your testing lab. It is an expensive affair to do a lot calibration for your measuring glassware, thermometers, relative humidity , dewpoint meter, oven or furnaces , etc.
If your management is serious about lab accreditation , you must spend a lot of money to do calibration works on all your measuring equipment so that you can calculate your own MU in doing testing works.

I think you must specify what type of accuracy you want to achieve in your own verification of measuring equipment. If you want to perform your own calibration even though you do testing work , your reference measuring equipment must has traceable to national or international standard .and you must specify what level of accuracy you want to achieve in your calibration. Therefore, I would NOT advise you to do your own calibration work for yur measuring equipment which use in your testing lab. It is an expensive affair to do a lot calibration for your measuring glassware, thermometers, relative humidity , dewpoint meter, oven or furnaces , etc.
If your management is serious about lab accreditation , you must spend a lot of money to do calibration works on all your measuring equipment so that you can calculate your own MU in doing testing works.
Yes, we have Master or reference equipment which is used to either calibrate or verify the equipment and It is traceable to national or international standard. The issue that concern me is no measurement uncertainty but only data been recorded after the calibration been performed by the responsible technician. I would take into account your suggestion and advice, Thank you.

Gus

Starting to get Involved
Yes, we have Master or reference equipment which is used to either calibrate or verify the equipment and It is traceable to national or international standard. The issue that concern me is no measurement uncertainty but only data been recorded after the calibration been performed by the responsible technician. I would take into account your suggestion and advice, Thank you.
I'd like to keep this short and useful so here's the basics that i think are at fault (i am the supervisor of a 17025 accredited Test Lab) and not to confuse you with the "why its important", "GUM" etc.. @lawcch covered this pretty thoroughly

For one thing, you as a Test Lab are required by 7.6.1 to identify and evaluate Uncertainty on your own methods, this by itself requires that you factor into this "math" the uncertainty of your equipment, therefore forcing you to have uncertainty reported on every single Calibration certificate from your equipment that has a impact on the results of your test.

i second the opinion that its not ideal for you to calibrate your own equipment, having said that, there are cases where you might have to do so, (for example in our case we use an externally calibrated metrology well and PRT to calibrate our thermocouples, we use loads of them, and it would be ridiculously costly and time ineffective to send each one of them for external calibration) but you absolutely have to try in keep the traceability chain as short as possible on your side to avoid headaches when calculating additional uncertainty, you have to make sure you get some training on uncertainty measurement, i recommend you hire an expert and work on your particular case and document it well,you might even make it so you measure uncertainty on the entire process and you are home free!, IMHO the GUM is quite a handful to try and do it alone.

Another thing to watch out for when doing this is auditor bias... calibrating your own equipment may be viewed as a risk to impartiallity or some other kind of risk

I'd like to keep this short and useful so here's the basics that i think are at fault (i am the supervisor of a 17025 accredited Test Lab) and not to confuse you with the "why its important", "GUM" etc.. @lawcch covered this pretty thoroughly

For one thing, you as a Test Lab are required by 7.6.1 to identify and evaluate Uncertainty on your own methods, this by itself requires that you factor into this "math" the uncertainty of your equipment, therefore forcing you to have uncertainty reported on every single Calibration certificate from your equipment that has a impact on the results of your test.

i second the opinion that its not ideal for you to calibrate your own equipment, having said that, there are cases where you might have to do so, (for example in our case we use an externally calibrated metrology well and PRT to calibrate our thermocouples, we use loads of them, and it would be ridiculously costly and time ineffective to send each one of them for external calibration) but you absolutely have to try in keep the traceability chain as short as possible on your side to avoid headaches when calculating additional uncertainty, you have to make sure you get some training on uncertainty measurement, i recommend you hire an expert and work on your particular case and document it well,you might even make it so you measure uncertainty on the entire process and you are home free!, IMHO the GUM is quite a handful to try and do it alone.

Another thing to watch out for when doing this is auditor bias... calibrating your own equipment may be viewed as a risk to impartiallity or some other kind of risk
Thank you for your explanation. Both of you are really helpful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S The (E) in ISO/IEC 17025:2017(E) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T ISO 17025:2017 Clause 4.2.2 - The difference between "be notified" and "be informed" ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G ISO 17025:2017 Uninterrupted chain of traceability for test laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 4.1 Impartiality ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the validity of results - Threshold ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.4.1 - Requirements for Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
F ISO 17025:2017 mandatory documentation requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
C ISO 17025 2017, Requirement 6.6.3 - Communicate requirements to external providers ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
D Risk Assessment Procedure in accordance with ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
S Can anybody share a sample risk assessment prepared based on ISO 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
U ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the Validity of Calibration Results ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Douglas E. Purdy ISO/IEC 17025:2017 3rd Ed. Changes from 2nd Ed. ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Douglas E. Purdy ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 8 & Annex B ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Ajit Basrur Informational ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Published - November 2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
DuncanGibbons Who are ISO/IEC 17065 and 17025 applicable to? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
A ISO 17025 Requirement 6.2 - Department Manager Testing Qualifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F ISO 17025 8.6.2 Customer Feedback Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
F Faulty Equipment and ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
F Proficiency Testing for ISO 17025: AC Current Ranges ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F Complying with ISO 17025 by UNIDO ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
A Validation of Calibration Methods and Traceability - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 - Measuring tools not in calibration system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S ISO 17025 Requirements for Mobile On-site Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The procedure for replicate check in calibration lab as per ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B ISO 17025 8.5 Actions to address risks and opportunities ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
G ISO 17025 - Requirement to Monitor Environment ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
D Laboratory Manual ISO/IEC 17025 Example wanted ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Supervision of personnel ISO 17025 Cl. 6.2.5(d)?? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D pH Validation for Water (ISO 17025) ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S RSL (Remote Site Location) Laboratory - Does it need to be ISO 17025 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5