Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO 17025 2017, Requirement 6.6.3 - Communicate requirements to external providers

Dear group:
I' m Quality Manager in an environmental lab. It is not clear for me how to comply with points c) and d) of requirement 6.6.3.

6.6.3 "The laboratory SHALL communicate its requirements to external providers for:
c) competence, including any required qualification of personnel;
d) activities that the laboratory, or its customer, intends to perform at the external provider’s premises.

I do not see the case of evaluating the personnel qualification of a chemicals supplier, say the brand ***, or requesting an evaluation of its processes. The issue is that the text of the requirement contains a "shall".

Am I missunderstanding the requirement? Could anybody ilustrate me about it?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Gus

Starting to get Involved
Hi Carlos,

As John Said, i believe these requirements are only really applicable if you are being provided a "Service", usually you specify these things in the quotation request and naturally you end up complying with a) and b) when requesting products, and usually a) b) & c) when it comes to services, d) is a very specific "case" sounds like it applies if somehow you are subcontracting external infrastructure to perform a test.

depending on the audit staff's criteria (or sometimes "lack of") and "strictness" you may have to document this somewhere (that competence is only specified when applicable (i.e services....))

hope this helps further clarify things.

Dear group:
I' m Quality Manager in an environmental lab. It is not clear for me how to comply with points c) and d) of requirement 6.6.3.

6.6.3 "The laboratory SHALL communicate its requirements to external providers for:
c) competence, including any required qualification of personnel;
d) activities that the laboratory, or its customer, intends to perform at the external provider’s premises.

I do not see the case of evaluating the personnel qualification of a chemicals supplier, say the brand ***, or requesting an evaluation of its processes. The issue is that the text of the requirement contains a "shall".

Am I missunderstanding the requirement? Could anybody ilustrate me about it?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

The laboratory SHALL communicate its requirements to external providers
That is the operative word here.
If you require anything specific from a provider you must communicate this in advance.

Like if the provider needs specific certifications or licenses, or if you need someone who has worked on this exact model. That would cover "competence".

For d) activities that the laboratory, or its customer, intends to perform at the external provider’s premises, you are moving into an unusual situation where you will be working at an accredited facility, not at your own. If this to occur you need to state what you will be doing there.

The intent in this is to have had a discussion between the involved parties so that everybody knows what is expected of them in advance.

lawcch

Involved In Discussions
Hi Carlos
Yes, those feedback from other members were valid depending what type of services you want to ask external service providers do. Mostly, we refer to the sub contracting works by specifying what methods, standards, the measurement uncertainty we want. . The whole idea of lab accreditation is to ensure the external lab is competent to do the required calibration or testing jobs requested. One best ways to spell expectation is to do site audit on your external service provider lab management system and check their staff competence by witnessing how they conduct the test/ calibration but it is a costly affair and time consuming.

Top Bottom