Informational ISO 18091 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in local government

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
With a mandate to manage everything from transport to sewerage, to public lighting and civil protection, it’s no wonder citizens expect a lot from their local governments. Newly revised guidelines help them to improve their activities and align them with local needs and expectations, for healthier, happier communities. ...

Read the whole article @ ISO 18091 standard brings sustainable development to local government and preview the ISO 18091:2019 Standard via the ISO online browser platform.

tony s

Information Seeker
Trusted Information Resource
In one provincial government that is certified to ISO 9001 here in my country, I witnessed an external audit that went argumentative. During the audit with the top management (i.e. governor), the CB auditor did not find the strategic objectives of the governor conforming with clause 6.2. He was looking for "quality" in the set strategic objectives of the governor. He wanted to see something like "timely approval or error-free issuance, etc." What he saw are the executive agenda of the governor like "protect and promote the right of youth..., provide comprehensive health care services..., advocate responsive social welfare programs..., etc." These high level agenda have established success indicators and are supported by the various departments of the provincial government. Department level objectives and success indicators were set and programs were implemented to fulfill the objectives.

The QMR argued that "at the strategic level" the governor is not expected to set "quality" objectives that are better set at the department level or at the frontlines. The governor need to establish strategic objectives that support the national development plans. But the CB auditor insisted that there must be "quality" in the governor's objectives. The verbal tussle resulted to the CB auditor being told to go home.

I hope CBs and their auditors have time to study and understand ISO guidelines specific to a particular sector to prevent situations like the above.

Top Bottom