ISO 20488 - Online Consumer Reviews

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
By coincidence this last week I had an experience that is relevant to the subject of this standard. As another 100 million of consumers in the USA, I have an Amazon Prime account. I needed to buy an item last week, and, as I normally do when deciding between competing products in Amazon, I use the reviews as one of the deciding factors when selecting the item.

Made the purchase, received the merchandise and installed it. Because the product is being used by guests, I did not provide any feedback nor reviews at amazon.com.

To my surprise, I received an offer and a request from the company that sold me the product. They really want me to provide a very positive feedback and offered to send me an item (probably worth around US$10) if I did that. I find that type of incentive bordering the unethical, but it made me think if all the positive feedback and reviews which led me to buy that product were also "incentivized" the same way they wanted me to provide the positive review.

So, credibility of online consumer reviews is a real, mainstream problem. Hopefully this standard will have an impact.

Top Bottom