ISO 22000, PAS 220 and HACCP Combination.

J

jgmanza

Hello, I was successful in implementing HACCP at our facility. This including having a GMP Manual and Sanitation Manual. However my main weakness in each area was the documentation and codification of documents.

Is there a standard for this, example on my haccp plan the documents have:

1. Document number - example INTROHAMAN (intoduction to HACCP Manual) I never use this number, what should it be used for?
2. Register number - example HACCP-0004 ( used in master register)
3. Date: (when approved and when revised)
4. Revision Number.

Is a reference number needed? If so what is it used for.

Also I am now asked to incorporate ISO-22000 Manual and PAS. But the PAS seems like the GMP manual to me?

Thanks

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO-22000, PAS and HACCP combination.

Welcome to the Cove.

1. You do not need any codes or numbering system for your documents. You can organize and identify/control them with titles. It's your choice.

2. I think you are referring to PAS 220. PAS 220 is a standard which specifies requirements for prerequisite programs to assist in controlling food safety risks within the manufacturing processes of international food supply chains. It is supposed to be used in conjunction (complements) with ISO 22000. It is more popular in UK and parts of Europe.

3. HACCP is already a component of ISO 22000.

In short, they are all part of a food safety management system (FSMS)

Last edited:
K

Ka Pilo

Re: ISO 22000, PAS and HACCP Combination.

Hello, I was successful in implementing HACCP at our facility. This including having a GMP Manual and Sanitation Manual. However my main weakness in each area was the documentation and codification of documents.

1. Document number - example INTROHAMAN (intoduction to HACCP Manual) I never use this number, what should it be used for?
4. Revision Number.

Also I am now asked to incorporate ISO-22000 Manual and PAS. But the PAS seems like the GMP manual to me?

Thanks
Refer to ISO 22000

4.2.2 Control of documents​
Documents required by the food safety management system shall be controlled. Records are a special type of
document and shall be controlled according to the requirements given in 4.2.3.
The controls shall ensure that all proposed changes are reviewed prior to implementation to determine their
effects on food safety and their impact on the food safety management system.
A documented procedure shall be established to define the controls needed
a) to approve documents for adequacy prior to issue,
b) to review and update documents as necessary, and re-approve documents,
c) to ensure that changes and the current revision status of documents are identified,
d) to ensure that relevant versions of applicable documents are available at points of use,
e) to ensure that documents remain legible and readily identifiable,
f) to ensure that relevant documents of external origin are identified and their distribution controlled, and
g) to prevent the unintended use of obsolete documents, and to ensure that they are suitably identified as such​
if they are retained for any purpose.

T

tsmith7858

4. Revision Number.

Thanks

1. As mentioned, document numbering is your choice. If you can clearly show the difference just by titles than numbers are not needed.
2. Same as above. Register numbers and master numbers may help you keep organized but it is your choice.
3. Revision dates and history are a must.
4. Your revision date can act as your revision number.

As for ISO 22000, if you have HACCP, you have a big pice of it. A manual is not required but will be very simialr to your GMP manual. ISO 22000 will cover a little more detail on document control and records retenition. It also requires proof of management commitment the Management Review, training and resource commitment. Audits and corrective action round out the ISO 22000 part.

PAS 220 is pre-requisite programs. They are similar to GMP but there are more details involved. With ISO 22000 you will also need to learn about Operational Pre Requisite Programs or OPRP. Do a search on this site for more details. It is just an extra step that ISO decided to use between PRP and OPRP.

If you are able to get all of it together you will be prepared for FSSC 22000 which is a GFSI accepted standard.

Good Luck!

J

jgmanza

Thank you all.
Ok, I got a PAS 220 online so I figure I could restructure my GMP in this format (order) and then include the OPRP's.
Now I need the ISO 22000-2005 Standards. I figure I could change the document number on the HACCP documents to a reference number instead and reference this to the the relevant section in the FSMS Manual. I hope.

D

dwonghs

Dear jgmanza, hi from thailand, my company needs to implement FSSC 22000, we have GMP,haccp & ISO9001, are these systems combined sufficient for FSSC 22000? is PAS220 similar to GMP? hope to receive feedback from you. DWHS

T

tsmith7858

Dear jgmanza, hi from thailand, my company needs to implement FSSC 22000, we have GMP,haccp & ISO9001, are these systems combined sufficient for FSSC 22000? is PAS220 similar to GMP? hope to receive feedback from you. DWHS

dwonghs, the simple answer to your question is "yes". If you have GMP, HACCP and ISO 9001 then you have most of what you need for FSSC 22000.

You should get yourself a copy of ISO 22000 and PAS 220 and perform a quick review of each for any little details you may need.

I can tell you that for FSSC 22000 (as a clause in ISO 22000) you are required to identify an additional piece in HACCP that they call Operational Pre-requisite Programs (OPRP). Do a search on this site to find out more.

PAS 220 is fairly detailed in requirements for your Pre-requisite Programs so you will want to review your existing to make sure things are covered.

Your ISO 9001 will cover your doc control, record control, CAPA and all the other common ISO sections, just make sure that you have some emphasis on Food Safety in commitment and management review.

We actually did ISO 22000, then ISO 9001 and then FSSC 22000. It was sort of backwards and I wish we had gone the direction you are going with ISO 9001 first!

S

Soon Loy

You may also want to look at PAS 96:2008 when dealing with Food Defense, Biovigilance, and Bioterrism

J

jgmanza

I implemented a FSSC that meets the requirement for HACCP and PAS220. The FSSC I did has the following documentation. The Food Safety Quality Manual, Food Safety records, PRP Manual & Records, OPRP Manual, Validation and Records, and the HACCP Manual which I revised and incorporated into the system. I got HACCP Certified, however we are only ISO 22000 compliant.

Thanks

S

Soon Loy

Would you like to share with us the findings of your external audit report to help you through.

Top Bottom