Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting

Hello,

The ISO 3310 standard defines aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting. I'm looking at one of the tables that defined the tolerances of the apertures and I'm a little confused by what it says. It provides the following information for each nominal aperture size.

"For any aperture size (+X)" with X values stated.
"For average aperture size (±Y)" with Y values stated.
"Maximum standard deviation (sigma_0)" with sigma_0 values stated.

What I don't understand is how I should read the first two columns. For a given aperture size, would I automatically add the X value, which is then toleranced by Y? Any insight into this would be much appreciated!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day Quality_Strong, I am sorry for the delay in this response.

Tokyo Screen (I am not affiliated) describes X as Maximum Aperture and Y as Average Aperture (see Tables 1 and 2 in their company document). Sigma is a mathematical derivation. NIST (page 155) describes standard deviation (of a sample) "a measure of the dispersion of variates observed in a sample expressed as the positive square root of the sample variance."

Does this help?

Top Bottom