ISO 45001:2018 - Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

Ok Sidney :agree:, I just point out the fact that IAF document does not mention any "regulatory requirement of compliance" to the 18001 standard, and that I never heard such a regulatory requirement in a country (but I don't know everything of course).

In any case companies that used BS OHSAS 18001 will now certainly use ISO 45001 instead, or use it already.

Thanks.

PS regarding "like in this post" of mine (june 2013) you linked in your last message (august 2018) : I confirme there was never "ISO 18001" document except "ISO/IEC TR 18001 - Information technology - Radio frequency identification for item management - Application requirements profiles".

Last edited:

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

Thanks Sidney. I note BS chooses subtly the way of ambiguity by numbering its new BS "45002" documents as if there were declinations of ISO 45001 by the ISO itself. This reminds me the numbering "BS 18001" (resembling ISO 9001 and ISO 14001) for a standard BS declined officialy from its sister standard BS 8800* (but copied from old ISO 14001) : BS 18001 should logically to be numbered BS 8801... But business is business, isn't it Marc?

* Renumbered BS 18004 when partially aligned on ILO-OSH (as BS 18001), it was a good model of OS&HMS with ANSI Z10 too (good annexes). BS 18004 and BS 18002 are canceled now (waiting for cancellation of BS 18001 itself). But it is true that now BS has adopted ISO 45001 as a national standard (BS ISO 45001).

Bye.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hello !

Thanks Sidney. I note BS chooses subtly the way of ambiguity by numbering its new BS "45002" documents as if there were declinations of ISO 45001 by the ISO itself. This reminds me the numbering "BS 18001" (resembling ISO 9001 and ISO 14001) for a standard BS declined officialy from its sister standard BS 8800* (but copied from old ISO 14001) : BS 18001 should logically to be numbered BS 8801... But business is business, isn't it Marc?

* Renumbered BS 18004 when partially aligned on ILO-OSH (as BS 18001), it was a good model of OS&HMS with ANSI Z10 too (good annexes). BS 18004 and BS 18002 are canceled now (waiting for cancellation of BS 18001 itself). But it is true that now BS has adopted ISO 45001 as a national standard (BS ISO 45001).

Bye.

Just as the UK did 9001, 14001 and others.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
ISO TC 283 is developing a very interesting document:

ISO/AWI 45003
Occupational health and safety management -- Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace -- Guidelines

We are getting close to the day when any employee will claim "undue (mental/psychological) stress" as a health hazard to be mitigated.:cool:

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

Indeed Sidney because work also induces this kind of health problem. Moreover, taking into account the "mental or cognitive condition" of the employees is already the contexte of OS&HMS IS0 45001 standard because the OS&H responsability of any organisme regarding workers "includes promoting and protecting their physical and mental health". The scope of this standard is the prevention of work-related injury and ill health, including mental or cognitive effects.

Cordialy.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Hello !

Indeed Sidney because work also induces this kind of health problem. Moreover, taking into account the "mental or cognitive condition" of the employees is already the contexte of OS&HMS IS0 45001 standard because the OS&H responsability of any organisme regarding workers "includes promoting and protecting their physical and mental health". The scope of this standard is the prevention of work-related injury and ill health, including mental or cognitive effects.

Cordialy.

Pre-hire psychological evaluation on the horizon?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Not exactly new, many companies do pre-hire psychological evaluations of one sort or another. That "horizon" came quite a few years ago.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The scope of this standard is the prevention of work-related injury and ill health, including mental or cognitive effects.
I am fully aware of it.

Please post examples of organizations that report MENTAL near-miss incidents and accidents as part of their indicators.

The point of my previous post was: who doesn't feel stress at work? So, when does work-induced stress becomes a mental issue? At what level is the stress deemed a hazard that needs to be addressed systemically? OHSAS 18001 already had the mental component in the definition of ill health, but very few organizations really address mental health as part of their OHSMS.

In the ISO 9001:2015 standard, because of a (non-binding) note concerning psychological aspects, some people freaked out.

Mental health in the workplace is, for the time being a big taboo and a landmine due to privacy issues. It is something that needs addressing and, in my experience, only the 0.001% most progressive organizations even acknowledge the issue and work on it.

I suspect the overwhelming majority of organizations implementing an OHSMS totally disregard the issue or just do lip service to it. Just like most auditors.

Top Bottom