ISO 45001:2018 - Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard

Henria

OSH Officer
Good day Sam.

Also, like any other certifiable standard the ISO 45001 also indicates "Requirements". Under introduction 0.5 contents of this document clearly indicates "seeking certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organization".

OK, we agree then, there is no certification requirement in ISO 45001. I probably misunderstood your phrase "ISO 45001 also indicates Requirements" (english is not my native language). I thought it referred to a certification requirement especially.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Timothy1

Involved In Discussions
I am looking for a comparison between 18001 and 45001 to give an idea
a. what are the new requirements under 45001,
b. what requirements of 18001 no longer required under 45001 and
c. changes in 18001 requirements still applicable under 45001.

If you have any document/ compilation, please post here. Thanks in advance (In case if this question is posted elsewhere in Elsmar, please direct me there Thanks)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I am looking for a comparison between 18001 and 45001 to give an idea ....If you have any document/ compilation, please post here.
Look at the ISO TC283 Working Area public page and the document contained therein, attached here for ease of retrieval.

From https://www.dnvgl.com/assurance/Man...key-changes-in-iso-45001-vs-ohsas-18001.html:

Key changes in ISO 45001
  • Business Context: Chapter 4.1, external and internal issues, introduces new clauses for systematic determination and monitoring of the business context.
  • Workers and other interested parties: Chapter 4.2 introduces enhanced focus on needs and expectations for workers and other interested parties and worker involvement. This to systematically identify and understand factors that need to be managed through the management system.
  • Risk and opportunity management: Described in chapters 6.1.1, 6.1.2.3, 6.1.4, companies are to determine, consider and, where necessary, take action to address any risks or opportunities that may impact (either positively or negatively) the ability of the management system to deliver its intended results, including enhanced health and safety at the workplace.
  • Leadership and management commitment: Stated in chapter 5.1, ISO 45001 has stronger emphasis on top management to actively engage and take accountability for the effectiveness of the management system.
  • Objectives and Performance: Strengthened focus on objectives as drivers for improvements (chapters 6.2.1,6.2.2) and performance evaluation (chapter 9.1.1).

• Extended requirements related to:
    [*]Participation, consultation and participation of workers (5.4)
    [*]Communication (7.4): More prescriptive in respect of the “mechanics” of communication, including determination of what, when and how to communicate.
    [*]Procurement, including outsourced processes, and contractors (8.1.4)

Also check ISO 45001 Occupational health and safety.

Attachments

• OHSAS Project Group - Implementation Guidance for Migrating to ISO 45001.docx
    540.2 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

blockbuster

Starting to get Involved
Hi folks,

Our company was recently audited by a CB against the requirements of ISO 45001. It was a stage 1 assessment, which basically assessed our readiness to undergo a stage 2 assessment. We passed this stage with just a handful of minor non-conformities. We have 3 months to address and close-out the non-conformities, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I just wondered, how much take-up in Europe and wider there has been so far on this standard?

Cheers,

Block

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I just wondered, how much take-up in Europe and wider there has been so far on this standard?
This type of question tends to go unanswered here because very few people have access to any reliable global data.

Based on the last survey of OHSAS 18001 certified organizations, it is likely that about 100,000 organizations around the world will be seeking certification to ISO 45001. But it will take probably 2 to 3 years for the ISO survey to gather reliable information on these certificates.

Welcome to The Cove.

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

National, continental or global statistics regarding the number of certified companies according to this or that standard are only indicative.

But we can reasonably think that companies which had chosen to certify their OS&HMS with British standard BS OHSAS 18001 so far will abandon this standard to use the international standard ISO 45001 now. But whatever ? The purpose of such a standard is not to be certified but to improve OS&H performances of our company.

Cordially.

blockbuster

Starting to get Involved
Ok thanks for the response. I think this standard will become a pre-requisite for purchasing organisations in the industry I work in. And, of course, the main goal is to use 45001 to mitigate risk and embrace opportunities to continually improve our OH&S system.

Cheers
Block

Randy

Super Moderator
Hello !

National, continental or global statistics regarding the number of certified companies according to this or that standard are only indicative.

But we can reasonably think that companies which had chosen to certify their OS&HMS with British standard BS OHSAS 18001 so far will abandon this standard to use the international standard ISO 45001 now. But whatever ? The purpose of such a standard is not to be certified but to improve OS&H performances of our company.

Cordially.

The folks doing 18001 aren't going to abandon anything, the majority are going to Migrate to 45001. And the purpose of the 45001 standard or any other is to serve the user as they deem appropriate.

blockbuster

Starting to get Involved
I have a question on ISO 45001 Clause 6.1.2.2 (a), which requires assessment of OH&S risks from identified hazards, while taking into account the effectiveness of existing controls.

If our Company does not use a risk score matrix, then how are we able to demonstrate that the controls are effective? To me, this is trying to point us back towards the traditional 'hazard-severity-risk' scoring method, which we no longer use.

Cheers

Block

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I have a question on ISO 45001 Clause 6.1.2.2 (a), which requires assessment of OH&S risks from identified hazards, while taking into account the effectiveness of existing controls.

If our Company does not use a risk score matrix, then how are we able to demonstrate that the controls are effective? To me, this is trying to point us back towards the traditional 'hazard-severity-risk' scoring method, which we no longer use.

Cheers

Block

Block,

Surely you already identify the hazards and plan or implement controls which are monitored and corrected as necessary to ensure they are effective?

I can see nothing on severity except in your question.

John

Top Bottom