ISO 8601 - Representation of Dates and Times

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO 8601

I would always prefer DD MMM YYYY :)

Thank you for that - it's completely unambiguous and fool-proof.

Try telling that to the people I work with.

Even in templates we provide for SOP's or work instructions, we don't leave the date field blank - we put in "DD-MMM-YYYY". Invariably, 50% leave it like that and the rest change it to something like 2013-6-4.:truce:

No wonder I have grey hair.

AnaMariaVR2

Dear Ajit & Mikishots:

I prefer DD MMM YYYY as well.
I also feel your pain when dealing with colleagues that won't follow date formats...why is it so hard to let go?

Mikishots

Dear Ajit & Mikishots:

I prefer DD MMM YYYY as well.
I also feel your pain when dealing with colleagues that won't follow date formats...why is it so hard to let go?

The method we prefer is dependent on the local language, because the month is represented in letters. I can't imagine someone in France using "AUG"...

Hence the standardization?

M

MIREGMGR

I like international standardization, but I like unambiguous process and product control much more.

DD MMM YYYY helps you check it...incorrect use is obvious in most cases. It's also self-reminding to the user.

ISO 8601 is not self obvious to users, especially those that have spent decades using other all-number formats with different orders. 8601 can be used incorrectly during days 01 through 12 without that error being obvious.

I'm sympathetic to the language challenges involved, but I'm unwilling to accept uncertain product and process control as a cost of solving those language challenges.

P

pearsonow

Surely an even simpler method would be
daynumber in week - monday = 1, etc
week of year = 01-53 (yes 53)
year - 2013

ie DWWYYYY

no language, and simple, the first 7 weeks are preceded by a 0 so are distinct from the 7 days of the week....

K

kaliko81

I use yyyy-mm-dd for years. A former manager explained to me that this way of writing it similar to the way we write numbers for $: You start with to more significant number to the cents.

P

pearsonow

Sort by is then also very simple, even if the data is not registered as a date.

File referencing can also include this so 20130602-Explination_of _file_titles-Pearsonow

This means sorting by title will also sort by date...

Top Bottom