ISO 9000 Standard "standard" definition

A

apinop

Hi! :bigwave:

While trying to provide definitions of what the various bits of our QMS are (policies, procedures, work instructions, records, blah, blah), I appear to be missing a standard definition of what "standard" means, for the purposes of the ISO 9001 Standard. At least none was given in ISO 9000:2015.

Wondering if anyone have found themselves in the same situation and could provide any pointers. Thanks much! :)

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: ISO 9000 Standard standard standard definition

Hi! :bigwave:

While trying to provide definitions of what the various bits of our QMS are (policies, procedures, work instructions, records, blah, blah), I appear to be missing a standard definition of what "standard" means, for the purposes of the ISO 9001 Standard. At least none was given in ISO 9000:2015.

Wondering if anyone have found themselves in the same situation and could provide any pointers. Thanks much! :)
https://www.iso.org/deliverables-all.html

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: ISO 9000 Standard standard standard definition

ISO 9000:2015 may not be of much use in the definition you are after. I have wished for a few more terms to be included, such as "take into consideration". But I digress.

For terms like that we can go to the dictionary. One example cites:
1. something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison; an approved model.
Maybe the term you are after is specification, which ISO 9000:2015 does define:
specification
document (3.8.5) stating requirements (3.6.4)

Randy

Super Moderator
In years past definitions of English words came from the Oxford Dictionary as a matter of ISO technical practice so unless something has changed then that is still the norm. I was asked this once while I was delivering a Lead Auditor course, so I asked the BSI ISO Tech Committee rep in the UK.....

Standard (noun) - a unit of measurement that is officially used; an official rule used when producing something

The ISO says that Standards are "documents that provide requirements"

Last edited:

Starting to get Involved
Maybe look at it form a different angle - What are standards derived from?

Aren't standards basically an agreement between people, companies, nations, ... of doing / making things in a jointly agreed manner - having a "unified" approach?

So you would have informal and formal standards. Where informal is like tribal knowledge, that people do things in the same or very similar manner, because they were taught to do this and formal being more or less the same, except that it is actually documented.

Top Bottom