ISO 9001:2000 Templates

N

Neale T

Evening all!

I have been given the task of rewriting our Quality Policy and procedures manual in line with ISO 9001:2000. Would any of you wonderful people happen to have any templates or examples of this type of documentation relating to ISO 9001:2000. Any help/tips/advise would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

:bonk:

A

Angie Bowen

You might want to look into a program called "ISO 9000:2000 Quality Manual and Operational Procedures" by Jack Kanholm. It is put out by AQA press. We had started putting the documentation together for 9001:1994 but had to put it on hold. I used this program to convert the documentation from the '94 standard to the 2000 standard, and have been really happy with it. Under each section it will tell you the difference between the new standard and the old one. When we sent the documentation off to be reviewed by our registrar, he said we had all of the areas covered. Hopefully this helps. You may be able to find this on the ASQ site.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Neale

I am currently writing company documentation in line with ISO 9000:2000 and decided to utilize a proprietary documentation system. I had heard of documentation packages offered by consulting firms, and a few such documentation packages offered by internet companies. Deals along these lines also show up on our fax machine weekly.

We purchased the complete documentation package sold by www.iso9000store.com. They have provided twenty procedures, twenty-five forms and three basic form templates, in large part an insert-company-name-here situation. They have also provided a basic quality manual, which is a re-iteration of the standard and reference to procedures next to the requirements they meet. There is also a general introduction to the ISO 9001 standard and an online course aimed at explaining it line by line.

(Question to forum moderator: does this sound like anything Elsmar.com offers? I'm interested in the details of premium file access.)

In my complete lack of experience with management and business documentation, I have found the CD-ROM from iso9000store quite helpful. It allows me to update our ISO '94 procedures with relative ease and addresses each line of the standard. It basically gives me a framework.

That said, avoid packaged compliance. The employee training package we also bought is inadequate. Generic forms and templates are not adequate. Packaged compliance is not adding any value to your business.

As far as documentation templates go, shop around. One thing that upset me about our package deal was the fact that it was contained entirely on less than 10 MB of a recordable CD-ROM. You can consult an "ISO 9000 Professional" online via instant messaging, but the best advice offered there was direction to this forum. The employee (internal auditor) training is..

Ask about access to the files directory at this place. If Elsmar.com offers a rough quality manual and general procedures in line with ISO 9000:2000, I would consider the yearly access fee a good deal. I haven't seen them so I couldn't say for myself, but I have a feeling the creators of those files care more about the improvement of your business and spirit of the standard than does a ISO 9000 "store."

Also, the program Angie Bowen mentions above sounds a little more legitimate than do the claims of next day air compliance.

If you are indeed new to business operating standards and quality management in general as I am, I can suggest a few things that I've found useful.

Buy the standards. ISO offers a compendium of ISO 9000 series standards.

Buy Juran's Quality Handbook, currently 5th Edition. This amazing publication can show you how to do the things a documentation system template says are being done.

Shop around for excellent documentation or templates. I don't mind using the package we have, but I would sure hate having to rely on it. Notice the cost.

Read this forum religiously, and read everything you can find on the internet. This is the most valuable resource I have found yet, but there is a great deal of information out there for free. www.iso.ch, for example, and the guidance to ISO 9000 documents they offer for free.

Finally, concentrate on your customers. If you are pursuing third party registration to ISO 9001 because of market pressure, odds are good that the customers requiring it are willing to help you. Find out if they offer any business operating system standards for their suppliers. Read their websites to gain a feel for their ISO or QS/TS quality systems.

-- Erik

A

Angie Bowen

I forgot to mention the cost of "ISO 9000:2000 Quality Manual and Operational Procedures" by Jack Kanholm was in the $400-$450 range.

We looked at all sorts of packages and programs as well, but decided this would do the documentation conversion we needed. This program does include a lot of the major forms (nonconforming product, internal audit, corrective action to name a few), but some worked fine as-is while a few needed a major overhaul.

This progam was at the lower end of the price range we were looking at. Initally, we decided to go with this program, and if it didn't work or needed something else, we could go with something else, since it was relatively cheep and wouldn't be out that much money. We never did go with another program, and this was the best $450 we have spent.

After doing this work and training our employees about ISO, I have no idea how some company can claim to come in and make you compliant in days. I guess this is why a company pays them a six digit figure! :eek:

Angie Bowen

Top Bottom