ISO 9001:2000 transition to ISO 9001:2008 - Do I have to rewrite the QMS?

E

Emil S

:confused::confused:I just received the 9000:2008 standard. The standard we use is 9000:2000. The QMS stucture is very different. My question is-do I have to rewrite the QMS?
Emil S.

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Iso 2008

The ISO 9001:2000 standard is now out of date. The changes, such as they are are very minor. I'm not sure why you think the QMS structure is 'very different'. Can you explain?

For clarification, we're talking about 9001, correct? ISO 9000, the vocabulary document was superseded in 2005.

J

JaneB

Re: ISO 9001: 2008 - Do I have to rewrite the QMS?

:confused::confused:I just received the 9000:2008 standard. The standard we use is 9000:2000. The QMS stucture is very different. My question is-do I have to rewrite the QMS?
Emil S.
Er... really?

Like Andy, I don't understand why you think the 'QMS structure is very different' at all. The differences bewtween 2008 and 2000 were minimal - no new requirements at all.

You'll need to provide rather more information that you have, because I for one am just plain confused about what the actual problem is.

For example, are you certified? (Don't see how you can be to the 2000 version!) If you are, why have you 'only just' received the 2008 version? If not, what's the issue? How is your QMS documentation structured now? What do you think the 'very different' structure is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource

Hi, Emil. Despite the confusion over the standard numbering I hope the consensus is shining through - the changes to the 2008 edition are minor and don't require anything more than a review of existing systems. No rewrite required! :)

E

Emil S

To further explain my question. The structure of the Table of Contents of the system we have is right out of the 1994 standard, it has the twenty "elements". The 2008 is very differently structured. Take Training for instance, the 2008 puts it under Human Resources. Do I change the reqirements where it is applicable or change Training to Human Resources?

Randy

Super Moderator

Why do you have to train anyone at all? Just bring your system up to date which appears to be a couple of years behind the power curve as it is.

On another track, why do you have one to begin with? If y'all are just now discovering 9001:2008 and what you have is based on 9001:1984 then the QMS doesn't seem to be of import.

J

Jeff Frost

ISO 9001 does not mandate any structure for your QMS. You can keep the old 20 element format if you so wish if it adds value to your organization. The last company I work for did maintain the older format because at the time of their upgrade from ISO 9001:1994 to 2000 they had customer imposing ISO, TL, TS and AS requirements.

In the last revision of ISO 9001 year 2000 was a cross reference table from between the older 20 element format to the 8 clause of the year 2000 revision which is in the same format as the year 2008. Do a search here on the cove or Google it. Use ISO 9001:1994 cross reference to ISO 9001:2000.

Is your company currently registered to ISO 9001:2008? If you are life is good because your system already has been found compliant to the year 2008 requirements of ISO 9001. If you are not, why the interest in year 2008?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

To further explain my question. The structure of the Table of Contents of the system we have is right out of the 1994 standard, it has the twenty "elements". The 2008 is very differently structured. Take Training for instance, the 2008 puts it under Human Resources. Do I change the reqirements where it is applicable or change Training to Human Resources?

Structure is not that meaningful as far as compliance. If your existing structure has all of the elements to meet the requirements of the current standard then you have to change nothing. A registrar should not care if your training procedure is not part of your human resources documents as long as the procedure is effective.

I'm going to guess your procedures reference the standard and that is causing the question... if this is the case then you will either have to change the references in the procedures to match the current standard or get rid of the references to the standard in the procedures. I would choose the latter. There is no requirement to put an ISO section on a procedure.

Are you ISO 9001 registered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom