ISO 9001:2000 vs. ISO 9001:2008 differences and concerns

• Thread starter liquified56 - 2009
  • Start date
L

liquified56 - 2009

Hi everyone looks like a great site and im glad i found it. Sorry if i ask a noob question or if im in the wrong area.

Some history about me

Quality Manager/Director for 10yrs, Got the previous company i worked for Registered ISO 9001:2000 with the help of a consultant.

Some of the training/certifications ive completed
ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor
FMEA
PPAP
APQP
8D Corrective Action
SPC
Quality Management
Inspection Management
Delegating for Productivity and Growth, Resolving Conflict training

"Where im at"
Just started with a new company after searching for work for 7months (lovely economy). They have a rough history with Quality managers (11 in the last 7yrs) mostly due to them not seeing the results they wanted. Im very motivated and so far getting along great with the team so hopefully i will be the turning point. They would like to get ISO 9001:2008 certification in the near future. The previous QA manager documented the major processes, WI, and Quality Manual but it is very "oldschool" heavy documentation and doesnt really describe what they actually do mostly just basic documentation written to the standard (I have my work cut out for me).

To start out some of the concerns/questions i have are

What do i have to worry about being trained and experienced with 2000 but never dealing with 2008? (documentation, auditing, processes, major changes, do i need Retraining)

Do you guys have an area with free forms/Manuals?(mostly auditing, MR meeting) i dont want to spend any large amounts on a documentation package due to the economy and noone can spend "extra" right now, and im about to spring a nice calibration fee on them.

thanks for your help and i hope i will be a nice addition to the site

Brett

T

Ted Schmitt

Re: New member ISO 9001:2008 concerns

Welcome to the Cove !

You bet this is a really neat place !!! :D

In regards to your question about specific training towards 2008, no, you do not need to spend more $ for that. Your courses seem to qualify you just fine.

In regards to free stuff, look at the top of the page you´ll see a green button "Post Attachments list" (it´s to the right of the light house).

At the bottom of the page, you´ll also find links to similar posts with similar topics.

Best of luck and post back with other questions.

Randy

Super Moderator

They have a rough history with Quality managers (11 in the last 7yrs) mostly due to them not seeing the results they wanted. Im very motivated and so far getting along great with the team so hopefully i will be the turning point.

Brett

What's their history of clearly defining and communicating the desired results and providing relevant performance indicators?

What's their history of providing the necessary resources to achieve the desired results?

What's their history of actual involvement and participation in achieving the desired results?

In the end, do they really know what they want or are they blindly guessing and laying blame for lack of success.........on you now I guess;)

Do you have your parachute packed (based on the past history you gave us)?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Hi everyone looks like a great site and im glad i found it. Sorry if i ask a noob question or if im in the wrong area.......

Welcome to the Cove :D
There's good news and bad news. The bad news first: if your predecessors averaged ~six months of incumbency, you're dealing with special-cause variation, and the likelihood that you're going to be different is probably pretty low.

The good news is that you've found the Cove, where there are lots of people who've been in your shoes and can help you through the swamp. As far as forms and such, look up at the top of the page where you'll see this:

picture.php

and click on "Post Attachments List," where you'll find a lot of free files.

Don't hesitate to post your specific questions, and use the Search function.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Great posts from Randy and Jim! :applause::applause:

Well, maybe you will be the equivalent of Fraulein Maria - I dare to hope so. We'll be here for you if you need us!

Do use the Search function - yellow font in the blue tool bar. When you look at a thread, do also look for similar threads that are listed as links near the bottom of the web page.

Welcome, congratulations on the new job and good luck!

Attachments

• Maria.jpg
    Maria.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 433
L

liquified56 - 2009

Randy & Jim

I agree completely and havent given up on applying and keeping my options open due to their history but in this economy had to take what i could get.

As far as their history gos it looks like they had alot of inexperienced/underqualified people come in to help (several bumped up from other positions in the company with no quality history) a few that were hired out but got too focused on one area example: only focussing on ISO processes and documentation but not keeping up with NCRs/CARs and customer needs. Or doing CAR's and not actually using them to make real productive changes on the shop floor (no followup or implementation).

I think because of all this history they have looked at Quality as an un-needed overhead and not part of their Core management team.. I hope in showing them that the tools are easy to use and that you can get real results (and not just on paper but actual training and process outputs changed from them) that they see they actually need this position and need the results. Plus ive already got a couple customers that are pushing ISO and have been pressing the need for a dedicated Quality person to handle all of their issues on my side just from how i have handled the first couple weeks. From what i have gathered none of my predecessors ever got out on the floor and dug in and tried to help understand the issues they are facing most of them just sat behind the desk. What i didnt understand and brought up ?? how are you supposed to evaluate or come up with a meaningfull root cause to any problem if you never see what the actual operator or employee is facing and try to gather conclusions from behind a desk. Hopefully it all works out (keep my fingers crossed lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qualitychic

If I may give you an advice, you have to first learn their culture. Try to associate things with $$$. Show them how much $$$ they can save with the ISO program. Another thing, you may want to try to get the buy-in for your program from the managers/supervisors. Often time, to get their buy-in could involve giving them the credit for your ideas (make them look good). I know it sounds weird, but by doing so, you're making friends with them. And, looking at it from the long term perspective, it will make things a lot easier for you in the long run... I know some people may disagree with me on this, but in this type of economy, hey... you'll have to deal with this sort of things.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

If I may give you an advice, you have to first learn their culture. Try to associate things with $$$. Show them how much $$$ they can save with the ISO program. Another thing, you may want to try to get the buy-in for your program from the managers/supervisors. Often time, to get their buy-in could involve giving them the credit for your ideas (make them look good). I know it sounds weird, but by doing so, you're making friends with them. And, looking at it from the long term perspective, it will make things a lot easier for you in the long run... I know some people may disagree with me on this, but in this type of economy, hey... you'll have to deal with this sort of things.
I can't think of very many who would disagree with you on this. It was a good response, and well said.

Randy

Super Moderator

Quite honestly all 9001 is about is money, that's it, most Q folks won't agree, but if money was not the primary factor we wouldn't see anywhere near the interest in the subject. Customer satisfaction & product conformity = $

Th Q guy shouldn't be troubled with trying to get buy-in, especially from the top....committment has to start there, not at the bottom or in the middle.

Don't use the term save with ISO, use the phrase investment and return on investment...different psychology here. You can also use cost avoidance aand investment realization (sounds cool)

..........Keep your static line hooked up;)

L

liquified56 - 2009

Right on Randy.. and the savings could be massive with our internal scrap rate where it stands (diecast and chrome plate in the same facility). Currently We are seeing 30-40% scrap just from diecast. Then in the 3 stage chrome plating/buffing process (nickel, copper, chrome) we see a huge fallout at each stage. The current attitude is that its not too much of a burden due to we are just able to remelt the product so its not truely "scrap" to them. I have been pushing that it issss scrap and showing them how much money is wasted due to "process scrap & employee time on rework". The more i dig in the more i see that alot of it can be prevented with scheduled machine/tooling maitenence & spc and more operator training (mainly the buffers). So i have alot to offer as far as cost savings and using ISO tools its just going to take some time to bring everyone over to my side and show them this.

Top Bottom