ISO 9001:2008 Registration in Universities - Success, Endorsements and Trends?

G

gardnere

Friends: Has there been any success with universities and colleges endorsing ISO 9001:2008 from either a compliance or registration perspective? I am attempting to endorse ISO within a local university and interested in the prior records of the campuses endorsing ISO, its benefits, and internal/external ways of marketing the program. Has there been any trend with the ISO registrations (or certifications) within universities or colleges? Regards, Ed :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: ISO 9001:2008 Registration in Universities

Friends: Has there been any success with universities and colleges endorsing ISO 9001:2008 from either a compliance or registration perspective? I am attempting to endorse ISO within a local university and interested in the prior records of the campuses endorsing ISO, its benefits, and internal/external ways of marketing the program. Regards, Ed :rolleyes:

This thread: ISO 9001 and Public Schools discusses ISO 9001 in elementary schools. Not all topics may apply to a university setting, but it's a great read nevertheless.

Stijloor.

A

arios

Here at the US/Mexico border there are at least two Educational institutions already ISO certified:

1. Instituto Tecnologico de Ciudad Juarez. This univerisity offers from BS to Doctorate degrees, and

2. Colegio de Bachilleres. This one at High School level

Both located in Juarez Mexico

G

gardnere

Thank you for getting back with me. I am also asking if there have been any trends in ISO registration within the university/college arena. Regards, Ed ;)

harry

Trusted Information Resource

In Malaysia, almost all (if not all) Universities are ISO 9001 certified and that is the trend. Late comers to the game will usually try everything to try to be on par with others as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, Education is a very different game and like training, you can't treat it as a science alone. The 'Art' part is too important, intangible and hence difficult to measure and control.

Yes, management is important but in this case it tends to contribute less to the overall quality. You need other systems to control the 'product' quality. Our next door neighbor had one of the best education system in Asia, yet their institutions were not ISO certified. They had their own 'system' and certification program that includes quality management but with strong emphasis on the product and transaction/delivery.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

In Malaysia, almost all (if not all) Universities are ISO 9001 certified and that is the trend. Late comers to the game will usually try everything to try to be on par with others as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, Education is a very different game and like training, you can't treat it as a science alone. The 'Art' part is too important, intangible and hence difficult to measure and control.

Yes, management is important but in this case it tends to contribute less to the overall quality. You need other systems to control the 'product' quality. Our next door neighbor had one of the best education system in Asia, yet their institutions were not ISO certified. They had their own 'system' and certification program that includes quality management but with strong emphasis on the product and transaction/delivery.

Harry,

What is/was the driver behind ISO 9001 certification for educational institutions?

Are the benefits published somewhere?

Stijloor.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Jan, very often it is perceived benefits, following the crowd and unrealistic expectations. Many think that ISO 9001 is a cure-all or panacea without understanding the complexities of what's going on between a group of humans and the problem areas in the process or attempt at 'knowledge transfer/gain'.

Nobody here published anything or attempt to study this (no incentives :lol: :lol:) I do come across studies - usually academic papers on the success of its implementation in Universities. If I may use our neighbors success as a yardstick, an important ingredient for success is independence. The pioneer schools were taken out of the government school system as independents and they lead the others in terms of creativity and achievement. After a while, the government schools also feel the heat and take on the challenge.

Bureaucracy and Quality simply cannot co-exist. (These are my observations)

G

gardnere

Harry and Stijloor,

Thank you much for your replies and contributions. Stijloor did ask about the "driver" or the need for educational institutions to become ISO 9001:2008 certified and what do you see as the trend in terms of universities/colleges/lower level educational institutions benefits received after becoming certified.

Top Bottom