ISO 9001:2015 - 5.3 - The roles and responsibilities matrix rears it's head

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Hello again all -

I find myself looking at methods of meeting 9001:2015 - 5.3 regarding " responsibilities and authorities for relevant roles are assigned, communicated, and understood within the organization "

Previously it was believed that the organization met this requirement thru organizational structure documentation, job descriptions, et al.

But we contracted for a second opinion recently, and the contractor expressed the opinion that this would best be met thru a matrix. Please feel free to read between the lines.

I have found no satisfactory examples on line, which is alarming.

I also question if 9001:2015 a) through e) are adequate, or how deep the rabbit hole could get.

As always, thank you for your counsel, and welcome to the imminent weekend.

Tagin

In the top-level doc for each process I have an "Authorities and Responsibilities" section, where I list which job roles have authority to do what, and then list what responsibilities various job roles have. That has worked well.

Consolidating it all in a single matrix seem like a complication. I understand the idea that it makes it easy to see what auth/resp a particular job role has across the company, but it doesn't seem worth it.

>> I also question if 9001:2015 a) through e) are adequate, or how deep the rabbit hole could get.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'adequate'. Those are very high-level requirements which almost certainly you will be performing if you fully implement your QMS. It doesn't specifically say you need to document a-e or have records, but you will need to be able to speak to those points in an audit. (Auditor: "show me how you promote customer focus throughout the organization")

qualprod

Sometimes auditors
Hello again all -

I find myself looking at methods of meeting 9001:2015 - 5.3 regarding " responsibilities and authorities for relevant roles are assigned, communicated, and understood within the organization "

Previously it was believed that the organization met this requirement thru organizational structure documentation, job descriptions, et al.

But we contracted for a second opinion recently, and the contractor expressed the opinion that this would best be met thru a matrix. Please feel free to read between the lines.

I have found no satisfactory examples on line, which is alarming.

I also question if 9001:2015 a) through e) are adequate, or how deep the rabbit hole could get.

As always, thank you for your counsel, and welcome to the imminent weekend.
Sometimes auditors, want the information arranged for easy reading
It also could work a matrix , same results compared to use job descriptions.

Michael_M

We use an Organization chart and job descriptions. Remember, the standard tells you what you must do, how is up to you. I suggest not letting auditor's or 3rd parties demand you do it their way. If you meet the requirements, show how you meet the requirements. If you think creating a matrix will add value then create a matrix. If you think the matrix is just 'extra' work and adds no value just to please the the auditor/3rd party then I would not create it.

normzone

[Tagin], I like the approach of having that specified in the process documents and work instructions.

Regrettably a large part of my current mission is QA - Quality Archaeology. My client's documentation is archaic and outdated - and cannot be relied on to contain that information accurately at this moment.

[qualprod], I believe you are correct. I have found some examples online but they are byzantine in their complication.

[Michael_M] and [Tagin], regrettably I am just the hired gun, and my employer felt it was easier to appease the auditor than argue the point. Now I am looking for a rational method to satisfy everyone.

Kronos147

To the OP:

First, hello.

Second, I made a table for our organization. The columns are the following:

Process
Owner
Internal Requirements\procedure\work instruction
ISO 9001 Requirements
Risks and Opportuntities
Key Performance Indicators\Objectives
Relevant Interested Parties\Needs and Expectations
Training requirements

I list all the processes and figure out what goes in each cell.

I make sure the internal audit plan knows\confirms all this stuff.

Respectfully,
Capt. Overkill

Big Jim

Admin
Keep in mind that you get to choose how to meet that requirement. A matrix is one of the ways. So is an organization chart and/or job descriptions. Do what works best for you without going down the rabbit hole.

Top Bottom