ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business?

Manasa

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,
We are a small tube cutting business trying to get ISO certification.Is it mandatory to have contingency plan?Thank you!

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
The operative words are:
"establishing specific requirements for contingency actions, when relevant "
If your business has a process, supplier, or an individual that is critical to your operation then a contingency action would be relevant.

Manasa

Starting to get Involved
Not specifically under ISO (as opposed to IATF). But it should be part of your risk analysis.
Makes sense!But,I cannot imagine how it might look for our business.because unlike bigger automotive companies hindrances in our production might not matter that much!But what should it include?Natural disasters,emergencies that's all?!

dwperron

Places where I have worked have drawn up basic contingency plans for natural disasters, things like keeping records offsite, having a meeting site for after the disaster, stuff like that.
If you have a sole supplier for the tubing you supply, or the cutter parts, or a single employee who is trained on a machine, then those would be the type of issues that call for contingency plans

Manasa

Starting to get Involved
Places where I have worked have drawn up basic contingency plans for natural disasters, things like keeping records offsite, having a meeting site for after the disaster, stuff like that.
If you have a sole supplier for the tubing you supply, or the cutter parts, or a single employee who is trained on a machine, then those would be the type of issues that call for contingency plans
Yes,Now I understand this better.We have quite a few suppliers but yeah in case if a problem arises with a supplier of anything to our company Contingency plan is nothing but showing a Plan B in case of unusual things;Natural disasters of course are a part of it but a whole different chapter again?!Thanks much.

Golfman25

So I come at if from a different angle. If there is a true disaster, you're screwed anyway. So my focus would be on the things you can control. Say, key equipment going down. Or power failure, both short term and extended. Computer issues. Etc.

Manasa

Starting to get Involved
So I come at if from a different angle. If there is a true disaster, you're screwed anyway. So my focus would be on the things you can control. Say, key equipment going down. Or power failure, both short term and extended. Computer issues. Etc.
Haha yeah!Thank you very much!

Top Bottom