ISO 9001:2015 Document Revison History

JohnSwan12

Registered
I'm new to overseeing my companies ISO. We recently had an external audit and the one thing that he found had to do with the revision history. Currently we don't have a revision history including the date and what was changed on one of our documents. The external auditor thought it was required, but my predecessor seems to think that it was just recommended and not required. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome JohnSwan12!

It is true that ISO 9001:2015 does not specifically require revision history, including the date and what was changed on documents, but the question becomes "What is your process for identifying what has changed in your documents, and when?" Document users need to have the most recent, current and correct information where and when they need it in order to do their work. There is also an expectation for change management. While the standard does not clearly state these two requirements are related, we can logically decide that a functional QMS would allow for both correct information being provided and information about its change being provided. How you do that is up to you.

I think it is most useful to focus on our organizational needs rather than the standards' specific stated shalls.

Big Jim

Admin
I'm new to overseeing my companies ISO. We recently had an external audit and the one thing that he found had to do with the revision history. Currently we don't have a revision history including the date and what was changed on one of our documents. The external auditor thought it was required, but my predecessor seems to think that it was just recommended and not required. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Ask the auditor to show you the shall (requirement). If you can't find it, it likely doesn't exist.

Randy

Super Moderator
After talking with my predecessor, since he's returned to work, and I have gotten it figured out. Thank you for all of your help

Next time your auditor "thinks" something is required, ask him to leave and call for someone who actually knows what's required.

sunrizenew

Involved In Discussions
You can identify document by its name or date or author or reference no.

So if you change the date so any one will differentiates between any two different copies

Top Bottom